Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My school (GW) doesn't rank - how do I determine it?  (Read 2079 times)

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
My school (GW) doesn't rank - how do I determine it?
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
I just finished my 1L year at GW. They don't rank, but instead give scholar designations i.e. top 15% and top 35%.

I'd like a more precise determination of my rank for various reasons. Anyone have any idea how I'd do that?

I have no idea what the curve is - I've looked all around GW's site and the internet in general. I'm assuming it is somewhere between a 3 and 3.33 though.

Thanks.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Re: My school (GW) doesn't rank - how do I determine it?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:02 PM »
diaf.

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:38:17 PM »
diaf.

I concur. Most employers doing GW OCI know the system, so they ask for top 15%, top third and top half - aka, the only things it's possible to figure out.  Btw, as far as I know the curve is still at 3.0, maybe a little more, but not over 3.1.  If some employer at an outside job fair asks for "top 25%" or something, just explain the system, and I'm pretty sure they won't care if you're top 35% instead of 25%.  If you are just trying to figure out whether you're at 4% vs. 6%, go away. 

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »
diaf.

I concur. Most employers doing GW OCI know the system, so they ask for top 15%, top third and top half - aka, the only things it's possible to figure out.  Btw, as far as I know the curve is still at 3.0, maybe a little more, but not over 3.1.  If some employer at an outside job fair asks for "top 25%" or something, just explain the system, and I'm pretty sure they won't care if you're top 35% instead of 25%.  If you are just trying to figure out whether you're at 4% vs. 6%, go away. 

Curve's actually a 3.25

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:45:10 PM »
diaf.

Curve's actually a 3.25

aha!  Where'd you find that? I knew they had raised it in the past couple of years, but I couldn't find a number for the life of me.

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »
diaf.

what does "diaf" mean?

also, i'd like to figure it out with greater precision than merely 15% and 35% because i'm considering transferring, and it seems like the only way to meaningfully weigh my options is by knowing my rank.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:43:51 AM »
New internet search tool:

www.google.com

diaf returns die in a fire

hth.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:57:07 AM »
You can't figure out your rank because they don't give rank.  You can't just assume a rank and state it on a transfer application.  If you have a scholar designation, you have a good shot at GULC. 

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:10:24 AM »
New internet search tool:

www.google.com

diaf returns die in a fire

hth.

What does hth mean?
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret