Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attire for EIW  (Read 5937 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Attire for EIW
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
I'm not saying no one ever told me they thought pants were less formal IN an interview.  But in talking to trusted mentors (many of whom are involved in hiring in one way or another in various settings) OUTSIDE of an interview context. they've all told me they couldn't care less whether a woman wore a pants or skirt, as long as she looks professional and put together.

So that's the feedback I've gotten in MY market; the legal market in your area may be different.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 11:29:08 PM »
I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and decide that if a firm doesn't want me because I wore a pantsuit to an interview, I'd rather not work there. This is mainly because OCI is in August and a skirt-suit requires pantyhouse, and I just can't deal with that in the heat. I know law is one of the more conservative professions left, but I'm hoping there are enough firms out there progressive enough to not take this into account.

That said, I've also heard skirt suits are the safer bet, in general.

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 11:39:07 PM »
I think that's bad form.  I even wore a suit to an interview for a job at a bookstore when I was in high school -- you will never get marked down for wearing a suit to an interview.  Everyone knows that good etiquette is to ALWAYS err on the side of being overdressed.  You can show that your personality fits in with the casual office culture without breaking the number 1 rule for interviews. 

Lucky for me, then, that the firm couldn't care less.  8)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2008, 12:28:50 AM »
I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and decide that if a firm doesn't want me because I wore a pantsuit to an interview, I'd rather not work there. This is mainly because OCI is in August and a skirt-suit requires pantyhouse, and I just can't deal with that in the heat. I know law is one of the more conservative professions left, but I'm hoping there are enough firms out there progressive enough to not take this into account.

This is what an associate told me.

Ladies-- Tahari suits are fabulous!!!

Also, if any of you live in NYC, I suggest that you hit up SYMS.  Great store--designer suits for cheap (excellent quality stuff, too).
Columbia 3L

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »

This is what an associate told me.

Ladies-- Tahari suits are fabulous!!!

Also, if any of you live in NYC, I suggest that you hit up SYMS.  Great store--designer suits for cheap (excellent quality stuff, too).

You know you told me about SYMS last year and I still haven't gone. There's one in the city right, downtown I think? I might check it out next time I'm home. Do they sell separates? I'd like to do the extra pair of pants with the same suit jacket deal.

Glad to hear your associate friend thinks there are enough firms out there who don't care about suit skirts. I do kind of hate the suit skirt!

rosalita

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »
ahhh, i don't like Tahari (usually too highwaisted and mom-ish for me) but this just goes to show that women need to try on a bunch of brands before they decide what works best for them since they are all cut very differently.
another thing to consider when buying suits is to decide if you are a "closed jacket" or "open jacket" kind of girl. i personally don't like the closed jacket look (where you keep the suit buttoned up all day, even when you are sitting) and all you really need is a shell underneath. make sure you buy whatever type you will be most comfortable in.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »
ahhh, i don't like Tahari (usually too highwaisted and mom-ish for me) but this just goes to show that women need to try on a bunch of brands before they decide what works best for them since they are all cut very differently.
another thing to consider when buying suits is to decide if you are a "closed jacket" or "open jacket" kind of girl. i personally don't like the closed jacket look (where you keep the suit buttoned up all day, even when you are sitting) and all you really need is a shell underneath. make sure you buy whatever type you will be most comfortable in.

Even if you don't like the closed jacket look, for the love of god, make sure you can button the jacket without the fabric pulling!  It's a clear sign of a poorly fitted suit if you can't button the jacket.  (not saying rosalita or any other "open jacket" people out there do this; just that it's a common problem that especially women have with buying suits and just thinking, "ah, it won't cover my chest, but I just won't button it!").

(don't believe me?  Watch "What Not to Wear" - Stacey and Clinton know all)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:55 AM »
Just wanted to weigh in on the women's suit debate...I will be a 1L in a few weeks but for the past 3 years have been working at a large company in NYC where I have to wear suits 5 days a week...and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my jcrew suits. I can't say enough good things about them. I think the jackets are perfectly tailored and as long as I wear fairly high heels I dont need to hem the pants (Im 5'4"). They will run you $400+ but mine have lasted a long time and its worth it. (and they have good sales when you catch them).

My coworkers also like Ann Taylor (regular, not Loft), but I don't prefer their suits for my body type. If you have the extra money I would spring for a Theory suit, but they are regularly $600+. I also do not own one skirt suit and no one has ever said a word.

Lastly, one bit of advice that I think I would have taken while buying my first set of suits: buy two pairs of pants per jacket if you can afford it - the pants wear out so much faster than the jackets and it can prevent you from buying an entirely new suit when they do.

On the other end of the height spectrum, I want to say I've had good experiences with J. Crew suits, too.  So far, I've only found two places (J. Crew and Banana Republic) where you can buy nice-looking suits for tall women.  By this I mean, not just different skirt and pants lengths, but jackets too.  I don't get why it's taking the clothing industry so long to realize that people with long legs have long arms too.  (And some long torso, but not me!)

Anyway, I'm finding the Banana Republic suits to be a little more interesting in terms of styling, while still being perfectly appropriate. 
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
Your situation is so rare that giving advice regarding wearing a low-key non-suit to an interview that it is probably more harmful to other people than hurtful.  There are lots of dumb people on the interwebs who'd follow it because the firm seems laidback or has a casual/business casual daily work dress code.

Dumb people don't deserve jobs at law firms. Smart people are perceptive enough to figure out the deal.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »
Your first suit should be a basic 2-button, solid black.  Its conservative and matches everything.  You should have a couple of white shirts, but it isn't written in stone that lawyers need to look like undertakers.  You can wear pretty much any color as long as its conservative and paired with a nice tie.  You will also need a nice pair of black leather dress shoes and a black leather belt.  $400 should be more than enough, if you shop smart.  Make it a point to buy at least 1 or 2 new suits every semester.