;

Poll

Which is the better option

UMN at $105k total cost
 2 (11.8%)
SMU at $95k total cost
 15 (88.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Minnesota vs. SMU for TX resident likely to return to TX  (Read 918 times)

Marc03

• View Profile
    • numbers
Minnesota vs. SMU for TX resident likely to return to TX
« on: June 03, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
I've finally narrowed my choices down to 22nd ranked Minnesota vs 46th ranked SMU. I'm a Texan and will likely want to return upon graduation. I've been able to put the weather difference to rest, since I believe my choices are "very hot" vs. "very cold". It now just comes down to which school will offer me more opportunities as well as which school I'd be happier at.

Minnesota:
+ historically ranked in the top 20 ever year, with the exception of the newest rankings that put it at 22.
+ most recent data says that 25% of it's graduates attained clerkships this past year (twin cities is home to 8th circuit courts)
+ nearly 50% of the class took positions as clerks or NLJ250 associates
+ nearly 90% of graduates have jobs before graduation
+ small opportunity to "transfer up" to a t14 should I somehow have an incredible first year
+ big 10 sports (I'm a college sports junkie)
+ greater odds of finding prestigious summer work for both 1L and 2L summers which would assist with total debt
- far from the rest of my family
- quite possible out of reach of my UG's incredible alumni network
- slightly more expensive
- places extremely well in the mid-west and D.C., but not much history in TX

SMU:
+ location in Dallas puts me in the same city as my father and close to the rest of my family in Lubbock, TX
+ despite the lower ranking, their avg. overall starting income is above $100k, due mostly to it's location in Dallas
+ Dallas is home to many of my close college friends as well as alumni which would help with networking
+ all of my favorite sports teams are Dallas teams: Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers
- Will always be seen as distant second-class to UT grads in the state of TX. The same could be said of UMN, but to less of an extent
- Only the top 25% can realistically expect to find NLJ250 jobs, and only a small percentage attain clerkships
- prospects are fantastic in Dallas, but they bottom out if I try to venture outside of the area.

so yeah, that about breaks it down. I don't think I can really go wrong with either, but I should be prepared to be stuck in Dallas (not a bad place to be stuck) for at least a little while if I decide on SMU.

anyway, thanks in advance for any opinions. I'll probably ask the same question over at TLS and maybe I can land some golden nugget of an opinion that will make it all clear for me.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Minnesota vs. SMU for TX resident likely to return to TX
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »
Like you said, you can't really go wrong here. I guess if you plan to live in Texas, you might as well take SMU for the networking opportunities inside of Texas if nothing else. Plus it will be $10k cheaper for you it appears, and that's money in your pocket.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »
Where did you go for undergrad. If it was a school with a big time football program like UTezas, going to perennial Big 10 punching bag Minnesota will not quench for college football desires.

MorningYellofHorror

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:15:30 AM »
He's a Mavericks fan.  It can't get any worse.

Oh, and SMU.  I can't imagine Minnesota has more reach in Texas than a well-heeled Texan school.

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:25:47 AM »
I've finally narrowed my choices down to 22nd ranked Minnesota vs 46th ranked SMU. I'm a Texan and will likely want to return upon graduation. I've been able to put the weather difference to rest, since I believe my choices are "very hot" vs. "very cold". It now just comes down to which school will offer me more opportunities as well as which school I'd be happier at.

Minnesota:
+ historically ranked in the top 20 ever year, with the exception of the newest rankings that put it at 22.
+ most recent data says that 25% of it's graduates attained clerkships this past year (twin cities is home to 8th circuit courts)
+ nearly 50% of the class took positions as clerks or NLJ250 associates
+ nearly 90% of graduates have jobs before graduation
+ small opportunity to "transfer up" to a t14 should I somehow have an incredible first year
+ big 10 sports (I'm a college sports junkie)
+ greater odds of finding prestigious summer work for both 1L and 2L summers which would assist with total debt
- far from the rest of my family
- quite possible out of reach of my UG's incredible alumni network
- slightly more expensive
- places extremely well in the mid-west and D.C., but not much history in TX
I've no vested interest in your decision either way, but I would be cautious of some of these statements based on statements from current students.

See:
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,102473.msg5102717.html#msg5102717

There is also another "UMN 3L taking questions" thread which I can't find that confirms what the above link says as well. Also says that the clerkship stat is deceptive because the vast majority of the clerks are clerking for district state court because they can't get firm jobs.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
Yea, but if a student from the third quartile at UMN is having trouble getting a job, it's not unreasonable to assume that a student in the 3rd quartile at SMU will have an even tougher time.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »
SMU for Texax, hands down. Minn. has no pull in TX.

chunkylover53

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »
go to UMN. you'll get a different change of scenery and you will always be able to come back to Texas if you really want to. firms always want a diversify the schools their associates come from so thats another plus for you. people will only say SMU because Dallas is the ONLY place it can place in. with the very marginal difference in cost, UMN > SMU. and plus i don't know old you are but if you are like the average law student, you are in your 20s... you have no idea what the midwest is like or any other parts of America is like so go try it out and explore. congrats!

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
SMU for Texax, hands down. Minn. has no pull in TX.

TITCR
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L