Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: God Damn Easy LR Question that I cannot seem to understand!!!  (Read 845 times)

chigga

• View Profile
    • Email
I just don't understand the logic behind this one, its pissing me off because I've seen it numerous times on different practice tests and lessons, and every time I choose the same wrong answer. Bah!

June 2002, Section 2.

4. Compared to us, people who lived a century ago had very few diversions to amuse them. Therefore, they likely read much more than we do today.

Which one... weakens?

a) Many of the books published a century ago were of low literary quality.
b) On average, people who lived a century ago had considerably less leisure time than we do today.
c) The number of books sold today is larger than it was a century ago.
d) On the average, books today cost slightly less in relation to other goods than they did a century ago.
e) One of the popular diversions of a century ago was horse racing.

I consistently choose letter E, which I'm sure is a sucker choice, but I don't like B which is the credited response. Can someone please help a brother out?

BarryLaine

• Sr. Citizen
  • "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
Re: God Damn Easy LR Question that I cannot seem to understand!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »
Off the top of my head, "B" is correct because it offers a reason why they didn't/couldn't read more than now, while "E" merely offers an alternative activity they could have done instead of reading, but didn't necessarily do...

Kels

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
The way I see it is that the reason the conclusion is ultimately inferred is because its predicted that having less diversions to amuse them would give people living a century ago MORE TIME to read....So they must have read more.

So, if they had less leisure time then they would in fact have less free time to read, not more.

I understand the confusion because some of the other answer choices do weaken the stimulus, but take heed of the question stem, which asks what statement MOST weakens the stimulus. Hope that halps.

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »
I just don't understand the logic behind this one, its pissing me off because I've seen it numerous times on different practice tests and lessons, and every time I choose the same wrong answer. Bah!

June 2002, Section 2.

4. Compared to us, people who lived a century ago had very few diversions to amuse them. Therefore, they likely read much more than we do today.

Which one... weakens?

a) Many of the books published a century ago were of low literary quality.
b) On average, people who lived a century ago had considerably less leisure time than we do today.
c) The number of books sold today is larger than it was a century ago.
d) On the average, books today cost slightly less in relation to other goods than they did a century ago.
e) One of the popular diversions of a century ago was horse racing.

I consistently choose letter E, which I'm sure is a sucker choice, but I don't like B which is the credited response. Can someone please help a brother out?

Evidence:  Compared to us, people who lived a century ago had very few diversions to amuse them.
OK, so it's saying they had less stuff to do during their leisure time.
Conclusion:  Therefore, they likely read much more than we do today.
Right, so they probably spent that time reading.
Assumption:  All else is equal; this includes leisure time.  Meaning, they had the same amount of free time as we do, or maybe even more.

E doesn't weaken the argument because all it says is that one of the few diversions was horse racing.
If B is true, then people back then did not necessarily read more during their free time, since they had less of it.
B is the negation of an assumption, which weakens the argument.

Look at how the conclusion is drawn from the evidence to find the CR for most weaken questions.

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »
Another potentially useful tip: if you were debating the person offering the argument, which would be your best retort?

E:

A: "Compared to us, people who lived a century ago had very few diversions to amuse them. Therefore, they likely read much more than we do today."
B: "Ok, but one of the popular diversions of a century ago was horse racing."

...not very convincing.  But B:

A: "Compared to us, people who lived a century ago had very few diversions to amuse them. Therefore, they likely read much more than we do today."
B: "On average, people who lived a century ago had considerably less leisure time than we do today."

A much better retort, and hence the correct answer.

Also, the other choices require additional assumptions to be applicable.