Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preptest 3, section 2, #4  (Read 359 times)

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Preptest 3, section 2, #4
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »
Can someone help with this one?

"A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting an functional for public use, must be unobtrusive, taking second place to the toal environment. Modern architects, plauged by egoism, have violated this precept. They hae let their strong personalities take over their work, producing buildings that are not functional for public use.

which one of the statements below follows logically from the statment in the passage?

I kinda eliminated everything and arrived at the correct answer, b)modern architects who let their strong personalities take over their work produce buildings that are unobtrusive." but the correct answer doesn't seem to be easily drawn from the stimulus... it seems to me like "inviting and functional use" are sufficient conditions and unobtrusive is the necessary condition. how can you infer from the fact that "modern architects, producing buildings thar are not functional for public use" get that the modern architect produce buildings that are not unobtrusive? That seems like a mistaken negative to me..It seems like the really old exams sometimes don't abide strictly by the necessary/sufficient rule..

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Preptest 3, section 2, #4
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »
anybody? ???

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:04 PM »
I would imagine most people, including myself, don't have PrepTest 3.

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
Can someone help with this one?

"A work of architecture, if it is to be both inviting an functional for public use, must be unobtrusive, taking second place to the toal environment. Modern architects, plauged by egoism, have violated this precept. They hae let their strong personalities take over their work, producing buildings that are not functional for public use.

which one of the statements below follows logically from the statment in the passage?

I kinda eliminated everything and arrived at the correct answer, b)modern architects who let their strong personalities take over their work produce buildings that are unobtrusive." but the correct answer doesn't seem to be easily drawn from the stimulus... it seems to me like "inviting and functional use" are sufficient conditions and unobtrusive is the necessary condition. how can you infer from the fact that "modern architects, producing buildings thar are not functional for public use" get that the modern architect produce buildings that are not unobtrusive? That seems like a mistaken negative to me..It seems like the really old exams sometimes don't abide strictly by the necessary/sufficient rule..

Something seems very wrong with the CR.
I agree with your analysis and I am just glad I didn't buy the old exams.

I don't believe being not functional is sufficient for not unobtrusive.
Only way it would work is if unobtrusive were a sufficient condition, which I'm pretty sure it isn't.
WTF is up with this problem?