Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape  (Read 5171 times)

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
A new development... apparently a tape exists where Michelle Obama is ranting about whitey on the pulpit of the Obama family's former church.  Coming to the convention, will this mean Hill will take all the super delegates?

If you want to read about the alleged tape (emphasis on alleged) google Michelle Obama Whitey, and you'll get 2398203482390 results.

Discuss/

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
1. This is almost undoubtedly a hoax.  Every bit of "reporting" on the tape is from someone who claims to have talked to someone who saw it.  (Check out, for example, Larry Johnson at No Quarter: "I have not seen it but I have heard from five separate sources who have spoken directly with people who have seen the tape."  And this after he's blogged about the tape several times already and promised a bombshell by "0900" hours this morning.  Give me a break!)

3. Other so-called reporting about the alleged tape suggests that she is asking questions about Bush ("Why'd he take us to war in Iraq?" not "Whitey take us to war in Iraq").  If there is an undoctored tape, which I consider extremely unlikely, it should be easy enough to determine based on whether she is asking questions and what form of the verb she is using (conjugated singular or a participle).  Unless you think Princeton-educated lawyers go around using the wrong tense and number all the time.

2. I also don't care if she used the term "whitey" or sat at a table with Farrakhan or whatever.  Really. I can't believe this is more of an issue to people than whether we go to war in Iran.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
The media will throw anything but the kitchen sink @ Senator O.  You say the race isn't about race.  If not, then why does the media magnify stories about the Obama's camp that have absolutely nothing to do with Obama's platform or what he personally intends to do for America? Why does the meda develop and magnify the stories that potentially imply that Obama or members of Obama's camp are "racist"? This is more irrelevant bullsnit to throw dirt on Obama's name, and divert our attention away from the issues really that matter.  Divide and Conquer...it never fails.
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:39:31 PM »
You say the race isn't about race.

Who said that?  Certainly not me!  I meant that I find it hard to fathom why so many people seem to care about something like the term "whitey," not that I didn't believe that they do care.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »
I don't think the problem is with "whitey", though for some small few, maybe that will matter (I personally think those "sensitive souls" have already made up their minds not to vote for O.)  I think the bigger issue is MO being on a panel with Farrakhan.  I personally don't think that's a problem because Farrakhan is a religious leader who has used his influence to combat poverty in Chicago, and the panel was a religious one, sponsored by Trinity Church, and MO was a member of that church and as such, had a right to speak on her issues, independent of her husband.  However, I also realize that I am to the Left of 99.9% of the independent moderates both general election candidates will need to win the election.  Obama has been able to distance himself personally from Farrakhan in the past - this will, unfairly though it may be, make it more difficult to do.

The tape would be more damaging in the fall than it would be now, if it does in fact exist, "whitey" or "why'd he" being irrelevant.  Perhaps it could be spun in a positive way, the way Obama was able to turn the supposedly career-ending Wright event into an important teaching moment.  But if it does exist, he can't stonewall it, fearing it will change minds in the run up to Denver.  Get it out there, face it, make it old news.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:08:11 PM »
But if it does exist, he can't stonewall it, fearing it will change minds in the run up to Denver.  Get it out there, face it, make it old news.

I agree 100%.  With the rest too, but with this most emphatically.  Obama cannot get caught sleeping on another one of these supposed bombshells.  Own it, minimize it, move on.

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
You say the race isn't about race.

Who said that?  Certainly not me!  I meant that I find it hard to fathom why so many people seem to care about something like the term "whitey," not that I didn't believe that they do care.

No, no not you Miss P.  I was speaking in general terms.  Apologies.

Michelle Obama is the pinnacle of racist liberal elitist. Also, what did Barack Obama ever do for Illinois as a state senator to be allowed to speak at the DNC (which subsequently gave him the senate seat)?
What makes Michelle Obama the "pinnacle of racist liberal elitist"?  That sounds really heavy but doesn't mean much of anything without explanation.
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:12:14 PM »
Doesn't matter. She's irrelevant. It's her husband who's running, not her.
WVU Class of 2011

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »
No, no not you Miss P.  I was speaking in general terms.  Apologies.

No apologies necessary.  I apologize if I sounded rude.