Law School Discussion

Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape

Steve Jones

• Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
Re: Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »
McCain graduated last in his class from Annapolis... Lt. Commander allows one to drive a small boat. 

Ding...Wrong!  Recheck your sources.

OBTW, an ensign can "drive" an aircraft carrier, and some enlisted folks command small boats.  But that's not relevant to the discussion, either.

My grandfather was also Navy, in both WWII and Korea.  He wasn't allowed to vote, but served a government which had stripped him of his land and heritage.

Cue the violins...

You need to check your premises. McCain is a military leader. He graduated from the United States Naval Academy and was a Lietenant Commander. He earned a Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

Correct (except for the typo).  He was subsequently a commander, and ultimately a (Navy) captain.

...McCain served his country, and withstood some pretty brutal conditions.  But nothing many other soldiers did not suffer as well, and nothing required for great leadership...

How does being taken prisoner of war make one a better leader, or even a better man?  You could have just been stupid, or sloppy, or ratted out by an informer, or just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I can see making the argument that being a military leader can prepare one for the Presidency (though not that it's a necessary condition), but really, explain how five years in solitary confinement creates a great leader?  I'm not demeaning McCain's experience

Yes, you are, and you should be ashamed of yourself.  But most radicals (left or right wing) lack that capacity.

...that alone doesn't prove he's qualified to be president, does it?  Because there are a bunch of men at a prison camp on a US base in Cuba who thus have similar qualifications. Should we then cheer if they become leaders of their respective countries (if they're ever relseased)?

Wow...what an exceptionally ignorant line of reasoning.  How many Gitmo inmates have 26 years of experience in the U.S. Congress?  And how can you imply McCain's only qualification for President is his status as an ex-POW?

Saxby Clemens II

• I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »
An individual is not beyond reproach because they served in the military.  Abu Ghraib being a very recent, very clear illustration.  I'm certainly not equating John McCain with Lyndie England, but let's be real.  When someone makes a part of their life a central theme of their campaign for the highest office in the land, there is nothing wrong with having an honest discussion about what that part of their life really means, big picture.   

Regardless, I very much doubt that anyone upset with such an honest discussion were equally upset over the tactics of the Swift Boat Losers for Bunk in 2004. 

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 08:29:37 PM »
An individual is not beyond reproach because they served in the military.  Abu Ghraib being a very recent, very clear illustration.  I'm certainly not equating John McCain with Lyndie England, but let's be real.  When someone makes a part of their life a central theme of their campaign for the highest office in the land, there is nothing wrong with having an honest discussion about what that part of their life really means, big picture.   

Regardless, I very much doubt that anyone upset with such an honest discussion were equally upset over the tactics of the Swift Boat Losers for Bunk in 2004. 

I have some respect for John McCain, but I am not going to vote for him and I don't find his military career extra relevant to his Presidential fitness.  He showed toughness and courage, but you can show those same traits in other professions.  McCain is okay, hes done some good things in politics.  I am not saying I am not impressed by his military career, it just doesn't make me want to vote for him. 

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »
Back to the original topic...

This is almost certainly a hoax.

If it was real, why is there only hearsay? Why would it "surface in the next few days'? If it existed, there is nothing that would prevent it from being out now.

Also, it's just too perfect. She's supposedly chatting with Wright and Farakan when she utters the words. Give me a break  ::)

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
Back to the original topic...

This is almost certainly a hoax.

If it was real, why is there only hearsay? Why would it "surface in the next few days'? If it existed, there is nothing that would prevent it from being out now.

Also, it's just too perfect. She's supposedly chatting with Wright and Farakan when she utters the words. Give me a break  ::)

It absolutely is a hoax.  No doubt, and it's already been debunked.

Whitey = Why'd he

http://www.boomantribune.com.nyud.net:8080/story/2008/6/1/235757/2325

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/6/2/23839/47569/717/527124

But of course, there's plenty of voters out there who don't like to check facts.  This'll just be more ammo for the people who already think he's Muslim, have a problem with his middle name, and think he doesn't put his hand over his heart for the pledge.