Law School Discussion

Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape

Re: Michelle Obama "Whitey" Tape
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:50 PM »
Moreover, you don't think strenth of character is part of what makes for a better leader?  On one hand, there's McCain, who refused an offer to skip ahead in line and leave prison camp before his comrade's turn, and on the other hand, there's Obama, who over 20 years didn't have the audacity to leave the church of an America hating preacher with obviously divisive beliefs. If you asked me, an independent voter, out of these two indiduals, who would I rather have leading this country, I think the obvious choice is McCain.

so "character" is the only issue that matters to you then.

i'm also not up to date.  have we reached consensus that wright hates america?

No, experience matters too. Why don't you elaborate on Obama's experience for me?  Oh right, he's been in the US senate 3 YEARS. So what's left for us to evaluate Obama?  Am I supposed to just take his word on everything he promises to do?  ie. he has no experience leading legislation unifying republicans and democrats as he so promises to do once elected president.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:46 PM »
Not when you can't back them up.

Saxby Clemens II

• I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
Doesn't matter. She's irrelevant. It's her husband who's running, not her.

She's far from irrelevant.  Political wives have always mattered in elections, for better or worse.  They can have a very real positive or negative impact on how their husband is perceived.  Further, this isn't 1992, where a presidential wife could make a one-off comment about baking cookies and most housewives wouldn't even hear about it if they didn't catch that evening's news or pick up the next day's paper.  The Internet is fantastic at making mountains from molehills and this will be the first campaign of the "true" wired world.

I've been concerned with Obama's lack of experience from the beginning, which is why I didn't vote for him and why I'd only vote for him in November to save the country from four more years of Republican leadership.  My concerns extend to how poorly his campaign handled the mild, infrequent bouts of scrutiny/criticism levied at him during the primary.  Their responses were less than effective in preaching to anyone outside their choir and showed the whole operation's amateur status.  They'll have to do far better in the general election to overcome the conservative machine and definitely won't be helped by any "whitey" tapes or other as-yet-undiscovered "bombshells."  Not knowing much about either Obama, it's a little bit frightening, as a Democrat.   

FWIW, I don't think "whitey" is really a word an intelligent, educated woman should be tossing around, if indeed Michelle Obama did.  While the context would be important and there are worse words one could use, if Bill Clinton was caught on tape saying "darkie" or "homo" or chick" or "Paco", the *&^% would have hit the fan, for good reason.  Again, context matters, but it's a term I'd generally find at best, dismissive, and at worst, derogatory.   

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 10:12:08 PM »
you can get wikipedia to say anything. 

for example, i just edited obama's profile to read that he's the 43rd president of the united states.

Point taken.  I was being lazy.  But I'm sick.  Do I have to go hunt down original sources for this?

yes.  you have five minutes or your computer will self-destruct.

go.

http://www.tucc.org/pastor.htm

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »

so you would prefer a person who had character and experience and who could back up stated policy preferences that were in conflict with your own preferences to a person who had less of all three but whose stated policy preferences were in alignment with your own preferences?

you can get wikipedia to say anything. 

for example, i just edited obama's profile to read that he's the 43rd president of the united states.

Point taken.  I was being lazy.  But I'm sick.  Do I have to go hunt down original sources for this?

yes.  you have five minutes or your computer will self-destruct.

go.

http://www.tucc.org/pastor.htm

that took 9 minutes.

your computer should be in pieces at this point.  i don't know what happened.

I actually hit "post" at 4:59 seconds, but it got lost in the inter-tubes (Ted Stevens has been mucking them up again!)

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Bottom line is that democrats were had by Obama's deeply flawed message in the primary season. He pledged unity, bringing America together. But what we now know is this: the means by which he intends to accomplish this mission is not by moving to the center, but by his expectation that America move to the left. This will not sit well with a center-right country, and this is why he will get destroyed in November's election.

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 10:20:22 PM »

so you would prefer a person who had character and experience and who could back up stated policy preferences that were in conflict with your own preferences to a person who had less of all three but whose stated policy preferences were in alignment with your own preferences?

What? No. I would prefer someone who has character and experience and can back up stated policy preferences that are in alignment with my own preferences, and I have found that person in John McCain.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »
I actually hit "post" at 4:59 seconds, but it got lost in the inter-tubes (Ted Stevens has been mucking them up again!)

the internet's defective.  but you know, a democrat invented it so that shouldn't be too surprising.

i say we draft gore to climb in there and fix the damned thing.  i don't care how dirty he has to get his hands.

Tried that.  Sigh.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 10:37:39 PM »
If a candidate is going to get up and talk about unifying the country, then I expect to see at least some evidence of doing so in the past. If I'm not convinced they've shown this kind of leadership in the past, and if I find said candidate attended a church that preaches the idealogy of a separatist movement, then I'm going to dimiss that candidate's rhetoric as insincere.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:47 AM »
If a candidate is going to get up and talk about unifying the country, then I expect to see at least some evidence of doing so in the past. If I'm not convinced they've shown this kind of leadership in the past, and if I find said candidate attended a church that preaches the idealogy of a separatist movement, then I'm going to dimiss that candidate's rhetoric as insincere.

The ideology of a separatist movement?  Really?  Why does black liberation theology freak people out so much?