Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Odds of getting a firm job?  (Read 2343 times)

Christd

• View Profile
Odds of getting a firm job?
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:36:44 AM »
I'm borderline top 50% at a school ranked in the low 30's. Most of the firms coming to campus in the fall specify top 25% or 33%, but some specify top 50% and a couple have no requirements. How likely is a firm to accept someone near the cutoff and what should I do to improve my chances of getting a job in the fall? Would I be significantly more likely to get a job if I made law review?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Odds of getting a firm job?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
First off, don't self-select yourself out just because they say "top whatever %."  If you're interested in a firm, apply.  They'll do the selecting for you.  And you will be more likely to get something with LR on your resume.

That being said, your chances of landing something via OCI are slim to none being top 50% - hell, it can be extremely difficult for something in the top 20% to land something from OCI.  Fact of the matter is, a very, very small percentage of all law students get jobs handed to them on a silver platter from OCI. 

To improve your chances, start networking immediate (as in start yesterday).  Join local bar associations (there's most likely one for you county, and there may be a city one as well if you're in a large metro area); most offer student membership.  Attend bar association events, general ones and ones in areas of law you're interested in.  One great thing to do (and I never have, but have heard of people having a lot of success this way) is to attend CLE (continuing legal education) in areas you're interested - you're sure to meet a TON of practitioners in the field, make some great contacts, and impress people with the fact that you're self-motivated and willing to learn.  Apply to every job you can, but you may want to focus on smaller and mid-sized firms.  You'll be much more likely to get a job through your own devices than hoping OCI hands you one.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »
Hey,

Please let me know if I should be panicking.

After the fall semester, I was probably around the top third, but this semester I made a bad grade in crim (I ran out of time), and I am now probably right at the median. I have NO interest in practicing crim, so it sucks that this grade was the kicker that brought down my GPA from a 3.420 to a 3.280 :( I did not get a C, (I got a B-) but it is my worst grade. I am not sure what the median is at my school (it is a top 20 program), since we don't rank. The top 20% cut if usually around 3.5.

I really hate that I missed that 3.3 cutoff. Should I still apply to firms that have a 3.3 cutoff? Or what about firms that ask for top half? I have no clue how to do the math to calculate the median at the school, although I think it is a 3.2-something.

I won't know if I made a journal until July. Ideally, I would like to practice in Austin, Dallas, or Houston.

What do you older and wiser law students think?

BTW: I am employed as a summer associate for 8 weeks at a pretty large firm.

Don't circumvent the language filter.

post edited by EC

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »
it does not apply to you.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:39:28 PM »
Vandy reports 70% get jobs from OCI. It seems fishy, but is straight from the horse's mouth.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

K-Bomb

• Sr. Citizen
  • You = Gatorbait.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 06:02:54 AM »
At UF it's around 40%.  That's combined Fall/Spring, now, but still, not bad.  Does that mean top 40% = OCI job?  Probably not, but it's still encouraging.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:01:51 AM »
At UF it's around 40%.  That's combined Fall/Spring, now, but still, not bad.  Does that mean top 40% = OCI job?  Probably not, but it's still encouraging.

I'm going to have to correct you on this one--40% get an OCI interview, not a job. Tons of people do three or four screening interviews and strike out on callbacks (most law firms screening 15 to 30 and call back 3 to 6 students.