Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2L Course Selection  (Read 1169 times)

clipper123

• View Profile
    • Email
2L Course Selection
« on: June 01, 2008, 03:18:48 AM »
So I have to choose my courses by the end of this week and I have no clue how to proceed. I don't really know what I want to do when I graduate but I have a certain affinity for things international.

How do I proceed? What courses do I select?

I really don't know what to do...

Thanks in advance.

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
Re: 2L Course Selection
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:34:55 PM »
Well my school requires 4 of the 6 "core classes" they have for the second year. They are Income Tax, Administrative Law, Evidence, Business Organizations (Corporations), Trusts and Estates, and Commercial Law. One of the four must be either tax or commercial law.

Since you are looking for international, I would recommend any of those and international law.
Probably, the best idea would be Evidence, Administrative Law, Commercial, and International

but I am a soon to be 2L so heck if I know

I am planning on taking all 6 core classes before I graduate, especially since some are on the bar

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »
My school doesn't really have any required classes after 1L except for Evidence and Professional Responsibility.  For first semester 2L I have chosen to take easy sounding classes like the law of privacy, law and social change, law and popular culture, and of course... International Law.

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:46:45 AM »
I've also had a tough time selecting a 2L roster, for a couple of reasons:

1. We're required to take Prof Resp and Fed Income Tax, and I think we're supposed to take both in 2L.

2. I want to do Trial Advocacy and Prosecutorial Externship in second semester, so this requires taking Evidence (not required, but everyone with half a brain takes) and Crim Procedure-Investigation in the first semester.

3. I have interests in IP, criminal, health, family and transactional law (property, contracts, land use and the such). Because of the requirements and prerequisites, doesn;t leave a lot of exploratory room.

So I initially decided I was going to do Intro to Health, Land Use Law, Evidence and Crim Pro-Inv, along with a historic preservation seminar. Then, a faculty adviser told me if I was serious about exploring IP, that the fall was the time to take the IP survey course. So I replaced Health Law with that. Then I got accepted to do a family court externship, which came as a surprise since I applied for it late and was one of only two men to put in applications. So then I replaced the seminar with the externship, and since I thought the externship might be something that would best be supplemented by additional related course work, I signed up for a 2-credit night course in collaborative law (a new ADR thing where the lawyers try to resolve the fighting couple's issues quickly and fairly without brutality -- in theory anyway) in place of Land Use Law. But I may end up signing back up for Land Use Law, since the prof. is the foremost expert on the subject in academia (wrote the text, teaches at Yale as well). My second semester may already be booked if the requirements are must-be-2L -- Fed Tax, PR, Trial Ad, Externship. That leaves the financial courses (UCC, Wills, Corporations) and whatever health courses for 3L.

Law school scheduling, much like Hendrix's manic depression, is a frustrating mess. :-)
Pace '10