Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC (no money) vs. UC Hastings ($$$$$)  (Read 4795 times)

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USC (no money) vs. UC Hastings ($$$$$)
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 10:10:17 PM »
haha, wow. I love Hastings too, but anyone who lives in CA has to know that USC is on a level far above of UC Hastings.  Would you pass up on UCLA (a school way closer to USC than any other) for Hastings?  Your chances for big law out of USC are far better plus they have a much better reputation (even though Hastings is respected).  If you want to live in Socal it's no contest really.

I would say the bolded is debatable, even in SoCal.  Hastings has a reputation for producing very hard-working lawyers.  Plus, the fact that it's a UC gives it an automatic bump in most Californians'  minds.  For someone with aspirations to do government work, a free wide to a very well respected school would be a shame to pass up.  I would even pick Hastings without any money over USC.  The difference between in state public school tuition and private school tuition outways the difference in prestige - particularly for DA work.

Do you live in CA?  I have my whole life and not one lawyer I've personally met would agree with this (though I don't doubt there are those, especially in the Hastings alumni network, who hold this opinion)

Summer Associate for a V50 in Los Angeles so i talked to biglaw lawyers and judges from SoCal. you?

Boaltex22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
haha, yeah lets not use logic discussing issues...not like the elements of formal logic will be applicable to law school anyway...THEY exist in everyday life...if you contradict the rules of formal logic or at least the logic that is presented on the LSAT, you're doing something wrong and you should be called on for it.  Maybe you're not right for law school if you have a desire to punch people when they use logic.

senorsombreros

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »
haha, wow. I love Hastings too, but anyone who lives in CA has to know that USC is on a level far above of UC Hastings.  Would you pass up on UCLA (a school way closer to USC than any other) for Hastings?  Your chances for big law out of USC are far better plus they have a much better reputation (even though Hastings is respected).  If you want to live in Socal it's no contest really.

I would say the bolded is debatable, even in SoCal.  Hastings has a reputation for producing very hard-working lawyers.  Plus, the fact that it's a UC gives it an automatic bump in most Californians'  minds.  For someone with aspirations to do government work, a free wide to a very well respected school would be a shame to pass up.  I would even pick Hastings without any money over USC.  The difference between in state public school tuition and private school tuition outways the difference in prestige - particularly for DA work.

Do you live in CA?  I have my whole life and not one lawyer I've personally met would agree with this (though I don't doubt there are those, especially in the Hastings alumni network, who hold this opinion)

Summer Associate for a V50 in Los Angeles so i talked to biglaw lawyers and judges from SoCal. you?
Hmm, very interesting then.  In the past the hard numbers of firms which hired graduates did not represent this view when looking at the percentages of each class placed in 100+ and 200+ firms, (though Hastings had a big law employment jump last year and I have not looked at the updated USC numbers, maybe they dropped?).  I've only talked to a variety of lawyers (small and large firm) about their opinions on law schools before applying.  None put Hastings on the same footing as USC, but I admit the farthest north I talked to any lawyers was Santa Barbara.  There are a ton of judges who went to Hastings in the state and their class size is much larger, but I would still bet my tuition money that USC grads have the advantage in the market for whatever the job is (assuming a Hastings grad isn't having the final say in the hire, which could be likely). Having grown up around lawyers in CAlifornia, it just seemed to be common knowledge that USC was considered much more prestigious.  Of course though, that could just be my experience. If there is a survey out there that shows that Hastings grads are more respected than USC grads, then I would have to concede the point that Hastings would be the better offer.  I question if this uniform throughout the state though. 

btw I also think this is an obvious flame too haha

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »
I'm sure the OP is flaming. The only time I've heard of somebody getting a fullride from Hastings was if they had the qualifications for Boalt or a T10. I had a friend who got into UCLA and Hastings (1/2 ride). Doesn't make any sense for a USC (no money) vs Hastings (fullride) scenario to exist

Your logic is terrible, here.

fresh out of the LSAT eh? have fun at colorado

Even though I disagree with your points re: USC v. Hastings, I'm VERY pleased that you shot down one of the many 'logic douches' as I call them. People who don't address your points and instead say "you committed the logical fallacy of blah blah" and then break your argument into premises and conclusion. Such people really must not have any friends, because in colloquial English formal logic is almost never used. If any of my friends ever attacked a statement I made on the basis of it committing a logical fallacy, I would punch them.

This isn't the LSAT. It's an internet message board.

End rant.

Lol. I gave my advice to the OP earlier in this thread--I think it's a pretty straightforward decision given his stated career objectives.

As for UVAnProud2L--his point seems to be that the OP is a flame because it doesn't seem realistic based on the sample size of *his friends*. This isn't a minor logical quibble I have here, this is just a bizare argument.

Boaltex22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »
what does OP stand for?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2008, 10:45:11 PM »
original poster
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

kevsocko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46:17 PM »
original prankster

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 10:53:45 PM »

I would say the bolded is debatable, even in SoCal.  Hastings has a reputation for producing very hard-working lawyers.  Plus, the fact that it's a UC gives it an automatic bump in most Californians'  minds.  For someone with aspirations to do government work, a free ride to a very well respected school would be a shame to pass up.  I would even pick Hastings without any money over USC.  The difference between in state public school tuition and private school tuition outways the difference in prestige - particularly for DA work.

Yes, I go to UCLA.  I wasn't suggesting that Hastings has a better rep than USC.  I was suggesting that the disparity between the two schools is not big enough to dismiss the value of a free legal education at Hastings.  I know many people in the legal world in SoCal who hold Hastings in high regard.  Granted, no one places it on par with USC, but someone who desires government work (read: less than stunning income prospects) should really take the free ride seriously.  Worse case scenario, the OP does not end up in the top of the class, loses the scholarship, pays in state tuition for two years (significantly less than three years' tuition at USC) and graduates from a first tier law school.  There are worse things.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
I'm sure the OP is flaming. The only time I've heard of somebody getting a fullride from Hastings was if they had the qualifications for Boalt or a T10. I had a friend who got into UCLA and Hastings (1/2 ride). Doesn't make any sense for a USC (no money) vs Hastings (fullride) scenario to exist

Your logic is terrible, here.

fresh out of the LSAT eh? have fun at colorado

Even though I disagree with your points re: USC v. Hastings, I'm VERY pleased that you shot down one of the many 'logic douches' as I call them. People who don't address your points and instead say "you committed the logical fallacy of blah blah" and then break your argument into premises and conclusion. Such people really must not have any friends, because in colloquial English formal logic is almost never used. If any of my friends ever attacked a statement I made on the basis of it committing a logical fallacy, I would punch them.

This isn't the LSAT. It's an internet message board.

End rant.

Lol. I gave my advice to the OP earlier in this thread--I think it's a pretty straightforward decision given his stated career objectives.

As for UVAnProud2L--his point seems to be that the OP is a flame because it doesn't seem realistic based on the sample size of *his friends*. This isn't a minor logical quibble I have here, this is just a bizare argument.

lol @ reading into things too much

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 11:23:35 PM »

Hmm, very interesting then.  In the past the hard numbers of firms which hired graduates did not represent this view when looking at the percentages of each class placed in 100+ and 200+ firms, (though Hastings had a big law employment jump last year and I have not looked at the updated USC numbers, maybe they dropped?).  I've only talked to a variety of lawyers (small and large firm) about their opinions on law schools before applying.  None put Hastings on the same footing as USC, but I admit the farthest north I talked to any lawyers was Santa Barbara.  There are a ton of judges who went to Hastings in the state and their class size is much larger, but I would still bet my tuition money that USC grads have the advantage in the market for whatever the job is (assuming a Hastings grad isn't having the final say in the hire, which could be likely). Having grown up around lawyers in CAlifornia, it just seemed to be common knowledge that USC was considered much more prestigious.  Of course though, that could just be my experience. If there is a survey out there that shows that Hastings grads are more respected than USC grads, then I would have to concede the point that Hastings would be the better offer.  I question if this uniform throughout the state though. 

btw I also think this is an obvious flame too haha

i totally get what you are saying. i just personally don't think USC is worth it over Hastings because you are paying T14 price for a not so large advantage in biglaw. honestly, i don't give a crap about USC or Hastings but if you look at US News, USC has a higher Peer Assessment while Hastings has a higher Lawyer/Judge Assessment. it's been like that for years

they are both Tier 1s with good reputations so anybody stuck with these two options in the future have great options