Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC (no money) vs. UC Hastings ($$$$$)  (Read 4639 times)

senorsombreros

• View Profile
Re: USC (no money) vs. UC Hastings ($$$$$)
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
25K a year living expesnses in  SF would still be a significant amount of debt.  If the OP looses his scholarship that would be an additional 25k a year in debt for tuition (assuming in State).  Worst case scenario he could still be looking at 125k in debt and gunning for a DA job.  I think he should look at the scholarship stipulations first. Is it 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
Good point about scholarships...

And yep, every SC grad I know complains about the crushing debt...

They're all bummed...

Do what you want; good luck.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
25K a year living expesnses in  SF would still be a significant amount of debt.  If the OP looses his scholarship that would be an additional 25k a year in debt for tuition (assuming in State).  Worst case scenario he could still be looking at 125k in debt and gunning for a DA job.  I think he should look at the scholarship stipulations first. Is it 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?

if you take the time to look around, the cost for LA and SF apartments are NOT that different. who spends 25k a year for living expenses only during a school year? the estimated amount for most major cities except NY is something like 17 to 19k. where did you get 25k? did the OP say he wanted to live in a penthouse?

when i was in DC, i was able to pull of spending under 18k for living expenses

the people i know from hastings and usc are spending the same amount for rent (something like 1000-1250 every month). unless the OP wants to live in a dangerous part in town he could find rent for under 1000 in LA but a hastings student could just live in a tiny bedroom in hastings' apartment for under 1000 too.

btw i think the OP is flaming

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 04:57:46 PM »
haha, wow. I love Hastings too, but anyone who lives in CA has to know that USC is on a level far above of UC Hastings.  Would you pass up on UCLA (a school way closer to USC than any other) for Hastings?  Your chances for big law out of USC are far better plus they have a much better reputation (even though Hastings is respected).  If you want to live in Socal it's no contest really.

I would say the bolded is debatable, even in SoCal.  Hastings has a reputation for producing very hard-working lawyers.  Plus, the fact that it's a UC gives it an automatic bump in most Californians'  minds.  For someone with aspirations to do government work, a free wide to a very well respected school would be a shame to pass up.  I would even pick Hastings without any money over USC.  The difference between in state public school tuition and private school tuition outways the difference in prestige - particularly for DA work.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
haha, wow. I love Hastings too, but anyone who lives in CA has to know that USC is on a level far above of UC Hastings.  Would you pass up on UCLA (a school way closer to USC than any other) for Hastings?  Your chances for big law out of USC are far better plus they have a much better reputation (even though Hastings is respected).  If you want to live in Socal it's no contest really.

I would say the bolded is debatable, even in SoCal.  Hastings has a reputation for producing very hard-working lawyers.  Plus, the fact that it's a UC gives it an automatic bump in most Californians'  minds.  For someone with aspirations to do government work, a free wide to a very well respected school would be a shame to pass up.  I would even pick Hastings without any money over USC.  The difference between in state public school tuition and private school tuition outways the difference in prestige - particularly for DA work.

TITCR. I know quite a few people who chose Hastings over USC. A family member of mine who chose USC over Hastings had to think about it for a LONG time before making up his mind.

I'm sure the OP is flaming. The only time I've heard of somebody getting a fullride from Hastings was if they had the qualifications for Boalt or a T10. I had a friend who got into UCLA and Hastings (1/2 ride). Doesn't make any sense for a USC (no money) vs Hastings (fullride) scenario to exist

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »
I'm sure the OP is flaming. The only time I've heard of somebody getting a fullride from Hastings was if they had the qualifications for Boalt or a T10. I had a friend who got into UCLA and Hastings (1/2 ride). Doesn't make any sense for a USC (no money) vs Hastings (fullride) scenario to exist

Your logic is terrible, here.

Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »
I think there's no doubt that, in the So Cal market at least, USC is a level above Hastings - there's a considerable difference in reputation. For biglaw, USC should without a doubt win. If you want a government job, though, and the full ride has no strings attached, then Hastings might be a better choice - but I have no idea how competitive DA jobs are, so can't comment on which school would put you in a better position for that.

And in L.A., if you want to live by yourself, you're looking at well over $1250 a month, unless you're okay living in a bad area.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »

fresh out of the LSAT eh? have fun at colorado

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »

fresh out of the LSAT eh? have fun at colorado

Even though I disagree with your points re: USC v. Hastings, I'm VERY pleased that you shot down one of the many 'logic douches' as I call them. People who don't address your points and instead say "you committed the logical fallacy of blah blah" and then break your argument into premises and conclusion. Such people really must not have any friends, because in colloquial English formal logic is almost never used. If any of my friends ever attacked a statement I made on the basis of it committing a logical fallacy, I would punch them.

This isn't the LSAT. It's an internet message board.

End rant.

senorsombreros

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »

Do you live in CA?  I have my whole life and not one lawyer I've personally met would agree with this (though I don't doubt there are those, especially in the Hastings alumni network, who hold this opinion)