Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC (no money) vs. UC Hastings ($$$$$)  (Read 4708 times)

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USC (no money) vs. UC Hastings ($$$$$)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 02:19:43 AM »
Hastings ($$$) over USC (no money)

their career prospects are close enough and USC is wayyyyy too overpriced. the reason USC got a decent percentage of people in NLJ250 firms is because they cut down their class size and they already have a few people going into NLJ250 firms because of their summer internship program. the people that got into that program would have gotten into T10s anyway. even then, their percentage lags behind the T14 by a good margin.

i know several people from both Hastings and USC. all above median, all with biglaw jobs except the ones from USC have more debt. i wouldn't pay full price for a private school with so-so career placement

oh yeah, US News puts Hastings above USC for judge/lawyer assessment and i got the same vibe when talking to judges that Hastings has a better rep than USC. for biglaw though, USC wins out...but not by THAT much

how about Vandy? did you get in there? you should consider Vandy if you got in. they do well outside of the T14 and have a good rep for biglaw and judges

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 03:31:46 AM »
Dude... pick USC. It's a much better school, you actually have a campus (not just two buildings in the hood), and you get a top notch football team to top it off.

The ONLY advantage of Hastings is that it is free.
That is a HUGE advantage.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 03:36:34 AM »
Hastings. There's no good reason to pass up a full ride.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 11:07:55 AM »
If you want to be an ADA, this is pretty straightforward--go to Hastings.

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
If it helps to have another data point, I chose a school (similar ranking to Hastings) w/full scholarship over USC w/no $$.  Without hesitation.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
Hastings. The money is significant in this type of decision where they're both excellent schools.

senorsombreros

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 01:53:52 PM »
haha, wow. I love Hastings too, but anyone who lives in CA has to know that USC is on a level far above of UC Hastings.  Would you pass up on UCLA (a school way closer to USC than any other) for Hastings?  Your chances for big law out of USC are far better plus they have a much better reputation (even though Hastings is respected).  If you want to live in Socal it's no contest really.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
The argument here is that USC's private school tuition is too cost prohibitive especially considering that OP wants to be a DA...

UCLA would be cheaper (if it were an option) but I wouldn't give up the SC alumni network if I were the OP...

For instance, the DA in LA went to SC...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

senorsombreros

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »
I think it's hard to pass up on USC though (esp if they have a quality lrap), reagardless of ones goals.  Is there any doubt in the OPs mind that he might want to do something besides DA out of Law School?  Does he want to try to get in on the national level? What are the Hastings scholarship stipulations?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »
haha, wow. I love Hastings too, but anyone who lives in CA has to know that USC is on a level far above of UC Hastings.  Would you pass up on UCLA (a school way closer to USC than any other) for Hastings?  Your chances for big law out of USC are far better plus they have a much better reputation (even though Hastings is respected).  If you want to live in Socal it's no contest really.

If OP wants to not be crushed by debt, while still having great employment prospects, it's no contest.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.