Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting a "C"?  (Read 2803 times)

jascot

• View Profile
Getting a "C"?
« on: May 31, 2008, 01:08:42 PM »
My grades for most of 1L were good (As, A-s, 1 B+), but I ended up with a C in con law. While I still should be top 10-15%, I am wondering whether this one grade will hurt me or whether I need to address it during interviews? Thanks.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a "C"?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
I wouldn't bring it up in the interview, but definitely be prepared to talk about it if its asked about.  Your interviewers will have your transcript/grade report in front of them, and you'll likely get more than few questions along the lines of, "so what happened in con law?" and you'll have to have something to say about it.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
I would advise talking to your professor about it (although I realize that does not sound like fun). If you understand why you got a bad grade you will better be able to respond when asked, and if you are honestly able to say that you spoke to your professor about it, you will sound like somebody who is pro-active about correcting mistakes (a good quality for a prospective associate).

jascot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
Will this one grade end up f-in me or will a good response, i.e. I talked to the professor and she said that had I fully finished the fourth essay the grade would have been higher blah blah learning experience, help a bit?

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:37:33 PM »
Will this one grade end up f-in me or will a good response, i.e. I talked to the professor and she said that had I fully finished the fourth essay the grade would have been higher blah blah learning experience, help a bit?

It's hard to say how this will line up against a more consistent equivalent GPA (i.e. somebody with fewer As and A- but nothing below a B) but at least you can try to convince employers that the one grade was an anomoly. By contrast, hard to argue that your grades don't represent your ability if they are consistent.

whateverlady5555

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
Hey,

Please let me know if I should be panicking.

After the fall semester, I was probably around the top third, but this semester I made a bad grade in crim (I ran out of time), and I am now probably right at the median. I have NO interest in practicing crim, so it sucks that this grade was the kicker that brought down my GPA from a 3.420 to a 3.280 :( I did not get a C, (I got a B-) but it is my worst grade. I am not sure what the median is at my school (it is a top 20 program), since we don't rank. The top 20% cut if usually around 3.5.

I really hate that I missed that 3.3 cutoff. Should I still apply to firms that have a 3.3 cutoff? Or what about firms that ask for top half? I have no clue how to do the math to calculate the median at the school, although I think it is a 3.2-something.

I won't know if I made a journal until July. Ideally, I would like to practice in Austin, Dallas, or Houston.

What do you older and wiser law students think?

BTW: I am employed as a summer associate for 8 weeks at a pretty large firm.

MaxtoneFour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:05:16 PM »
Hey,

Please let me know if I should be panicking.

After the fall semester, I was probably around the top third, but this semester I made a bad grade in crim (I ran out of time), and I am now probably right at the median. I have NO interest in practicing crim, so it sucks that this grade was the kicker that brought down my GPA from a 3.420 to a 3.280 :( I did not get a C, (I got a B-) but it is my worst grade. I am not sure what the median is at my school (it is a top 20 program), since we don't rank. The top 20% cut if usually around 3.5.

I really hate that I missed that 3.3 cutoff. Should I still apply to firms that have a 3.3 cutoff? Or what about firms that ask for top half? I have no clue how to do the math to calculate the median at the school, although I think it is a 3.2-something.

I won't know if I made a journal until July. Ideally, I would like to practice in Austin, Dallas, or Houston.

What do you older and wiser law students think?

BTW: I am employed as a summer associate for 8 weeks at a pretty large firm.

I'm a 1L (rising 2L) at the same school that you attend, and I don't think you should panic. Our school's on a 3.3 curve, but you have to consider the value that your big firm experience this summer will add to your resume.
East 1999 is where you'll find me.

2L at Vanderbilt University Law School (Class of 2010)

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »
drpepr108,

you suk cok and hijak threads.  fuk off.  YES YOUR "B-" IN CRIM LAW = YOUR'RE RETARDED

now, fukself then killself.