Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to pay the bills during law school????  (Read 6496 times)

beach bum

• View Profile
How to pay the bills during law school????
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »
How is everyone planning on paying their bills and normal day to day expenses in law school? Given that we are "non-traditional" students, many of us have families and other expenses that traditional students may not have. Is the standard practice for those of us in our situtation to live in a ghetto while living off loans and the income of our spouses/partners? Are there other ways of making it through this time without living in poverty? I do not want to seem negative and I am just trying to realistically trying to figure out how I am going to go to law school and make sure that the needs of my family are met at the same time. FYI- I am married with two sons (7 and 8 years old). Thanks.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: How to pay the bills during law school????
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »
I decided to hold off applying for a year, and build up a nest-egg (essentially, we'll learn to live off one income, so that my income will go solely to said nest-egg.)  That, and my spouse's income, should provide adequate living expenses (we have four children, ages 5-11.)

Non-trads do have greater expenses, but in many cases, we also have greater resources. 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »
I'm not non-trad, but I will have extra expenses. I'm taking out private loans to cover them.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
Non-trads do have greater expenses, but in many cases, we also have greater resources. 

Agreed; timing was everything for me. I sold my home and I'm sitting on those proceeds and borrowing the max with fed loans. I may not need to borrower for my third year - it depends on how I want to work things when I finish. I'm applying for in-state this summer (I just finished my first year), I'm working now while I take a couple summer courses, I take the bus and I go on very cheap dates with my wife.

Also, buy used books online: campusi.com. It's best if you search by ISBN, which you can get either through the campus bookstore or from amazon.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

Addendum Boy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:49:08 AM »
Save nest egg if you have time. Ride wifes income (this can be good or bad, depending on what she does). Cut corners left and right by living frugally (I won't have a prob with this because the wife is already frugal, she constantly gets on my spending, lol). Federal loans, loans, loans. Your American baby, act like it and accumulate that debt. If you own a home, can always take out of the equity line, but I think you mentioned in the other thread that you are contemplating selling it.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:23:30 PM »
I'm hoping to take out just enough in loans to cover school + rent and my SO's income will take care of the rest.  I know this can be kind of a shaky plan (what if we break up, etc.?), but we've had many conversations about it and it seems to be the best way to go.  I don't want to go into debt over everyday living expenses.  I'm willing to for the rent, because I feel like that'll be my contribution for the three years I'm in LS.  It's hard for those non-trads who aren't married, but who are in a long-term relationship to figure this out. 

Anyone else in that situation?  What have you decided to do?

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »
honestly?  i will be getting help from my parents (eg living with them) and a buttload of loans.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »
I sold my big house, bought a condo and I went part time and kept runing my small biz. I had no other option, I spend too much for laons alone to cover my lifestyle  ;D
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

betasteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »
Have a wife that works full time?  ;D

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 07:39:51 AM »
Have a wife that works full time?  ;D

My wife works, but I still had to take the maximum allowable loans.  I don't know how anyone could make it with less than that.  I guess I could have taken a little less if she had insurance through work, but I don't see how anyone could live on just their spouse's income.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011