Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to pay the bills during law school????  (Read 6327 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: How to pay the bills during law school????
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one freaking out about this!  I'm taking the minimum in loans because I already have some debt from my MBA and I don't want to be up to my eyeballs in debt with two small children.  I'm a little worried that I'll have to go back for a Grad PLUS loan in the Spring, but I'm going to do my best to cut back on the little things (no more shoes and Starbucks, *sniff, sniff*) and make it work.  Why, oh why, can't  just have a rich uncle?   :D

Uncle Matthies?  Is that you?
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 08:54:49 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one freaking out about this!  I'm taking the minimum in loans because I already have some debt from my MBA and I don't want to be up to my eyeballs in debt with two small children.  I'm a little worried that I'll have to go back for a Grad PLUS loan in the Spring, but I'm going to do my best to cut back on the little things (no more shoes and Starbucks, *sniff, sniff*) and make it work.  Why, oh why, can't  just have a rich uncle?   :D

LOl, why can't you put those kids to work making sneakers or soemthing for Nike earn some extra cash?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »

LOl, why can't you put those kids to work making sneakers or soemthing for Nike earn some extra cash?

Always the entrepreneur, arnenchya!?!   :D

To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 06:37:17 AM »
I'm so streesssed about this issue. I have poor credit and couldn't get the loans I needed. The additional 7,000 per semester would help me work less and focus on studying much more. Sigh.
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

LoveMySkip

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »
I honestly have no clue. I don't have children and I'm not married so at least I don't have to worry about that. I jus to find a way to pay my car note, car insurance, cell phone bill and have gas money and food money. I'm thinking I'm going to do some part time jobs and take out billions in student loans.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
i have poor credit also, but i should still be able to get some private loans, right?  i mean, come on, it's law school, right?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
I'm so streesssed about this issue. I have poor credit and couldn't get the loans I needed. The additional 7,000 per semester would help me work less and focus on studying much more. Sigh.

Sadly, they generally won't do much about that except tell you to put off law school while you fix your credit.  It's really a bummer. 

You (and everyone, really) should watch your credit as much as you can, because the state bar will be concerned about your credit too.  From what I was told, it seems that their rationale is that if you can't handle your own money, you can't be entrusted with your clients' money.  Good luck!

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

legalgal2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 12:30:32 PM »
What if your older and have a teenager to support and are not married? Can a person get enough loans to cover this?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »
What if your older and have a teenager to support and are not married? Can a person get enough loans to cover this?

Talk to the financial aid people at your potential schools.  They increased my budget for various things, including health insurance costs, but there is a limit to how much they can give you.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011