Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?  (Read 1581 times)

sg7007

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:53:03 AM »
All you lose is a year.
Thanks for the advice, bosco.
Yeah, there's tiny little chance to lose W&M forever. But, it takes a Buddha to let go whatever you have in your hand.

TimMitchell

  • Guest
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »




And what's with all the untimed tests?  I'm assuming that what "u" means untimed.  Why do people take practice tests untimed?  I never understood it.  Stop doing that.  With the few tests you have left, only take them timed.  Then go over them.

I take some untimed tests if I'm at work or if I have a chance to get interupted. Althought I agree that timed tests are much better

>
Quote
Yes. I can always reapply. When I said I would lose W&M forever, I meant I would lose the offer of admission for this cycle. Believe it or not, people out there die struck by lightning, win a multi-million lottery, drown to death in a bathtub. I could get a 150 on the oct test, and won't be able to go to W&M forever (Or, get a heart attack when I get that score from LSAC)
Eh, thats not going to happen. With all your practice you will definatly do well. On the off chance you don't, the school will consider your original higher score anyway. Most do no average anymore.

Also, I would still call W&M and ask about defering. I don't think you would be committed to going there, and at least you'll have something to fall back on. Can't hurt to call and ask, from what I've read on the forums most schools are happy to defer.

EarlCat

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2533
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »
Yeah, I did some research. It's next to impossible. Most grant less than 10~20 seats for transfer.
Transferring is the same as getting struck by lightning.

It's not just about the number of seats available, it's also about how many people you're competing with to get those seats.  Far far fewer people apply for transfers than apply for 1L admission.  There's a chance your odds are better as a transfer.

TimMitchell

  • Guest
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
Yeah, I did some research. It's next to impossible. Most grant less than 10~20 seats for transfer.
Transferring is the same as getting struck by lightning.

It's not just about the number of seats available, it's also about how many people you're competing with to get those seats.  Far far fewer people apply for transfers than apply for 1L admission.  There's a chance your odds are better as a transfer.

I have read this as well. Top law schools generally have a greater acceptance rate among transfer than standard admissions. However, you have to discount this with the fact that almost all transfers most likely qualify whereas many people apply to T14 as a BIG reach and have almost no shot.

EarlCat

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2533
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 11:10:56 PM »
What makes you think they have any more shot as a transfer?

killblues

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 221
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
why would you lose W&M forever? you could reapply...make up some random reason for waiting a year. or just go to washington & lee

Hrm, I second this post. By most accounts it seems like as long as you submit your app before Thanksgiving you should be fine. Why not take the LSAT in Oct?  And I don't get the reasoning about deferring...if anything, a longer prep time can only improve your score. If you don't think you can make a good score by Oct, how can you be confident about getting a good score in two weeks?

My .02: if you don't feel confident about it in 2 weeks, don't take it. If you feel you can't do much better than you're performing now, then take the test.

Good luck :)

Migrate

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
it's always good to review more stuff, especially given that you haven't reviewed games and reading. if you don't have plans for the summer, october seems the way to go.