Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?  (Read 1582 times)

sg7007

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
Okay. Here's my situation.

I already took the LSAT last September, scoring a 164. (LR:-6, -6, RC: -3, LG: -1) After all, I put down a deposit at W&M, so I can just go to W&M this fall only if I want to. But, for some reason, I see this whole law school thing as a sort of an opportunity to redeem everything that I should've deserved in the past - I went to a T2 college abroad, dropped out of it, went to a shi t-hole state college in the states. Now, I badly, badly wanna get into a T14 which I think is well within my reach.

So, recently I've been scoring around -2 on a LR section timed. I haven't focused on RC, but will do as much as I can for RC for the next two weeks - I'm hoping to get less than -3 on RC on the real thing. LG has been my strongest part. Last year, I missed 1 question on LG, but I still haven't done any LG section recently, and occasionally when my brain goes nuts, I could possibly miss something like 4 or 5 questions. In an ideal scenario, I will get -4 on two LRs, -2 to -3 on RC, -1 on LG, so it's gonna be a 170+. But, my thinking is I could be in a much better shape if I put it off till October. But, the costs of doing so would be huge - foregoing W&M forever. And on top of that, I'm exhausting most of prep materials - I've done like 45 PTs out of 50.

The problem is, if I push it back to October, then I should give up W&M forever. I know I should be able to get into it again next cycle unless I totally ruin the Oct test to get something like a 155, which is very unlikely, but you know, disaster could always happen.

So.. I'm debating if I should just take the June test or push it back to October. What do you guys think?

Ninja1

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 3089
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Take it in June. You'll probably do about as well as you would in Oct. and you won't waste a bunch of time, money, and a shot at W&M if things don't go as good as you hope.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Julie Fern

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 27216
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:10:52 AM »
june test be hardest ever.

EarlCat

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2533
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »
Take in June.  Your other shot at T14 is killing it your first year and transferring.

TimMitchell

  • Guest
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
I agree you should take in June. Why wait until Oct if you already have done 45 practice tests? Plus, since LR is your weakest link, you could bang out the LR bible in a week and still have a week until the test. LG is the hardest section (IMO) for most people and you did very well there. You've studied enough, I say take in June. If you REALLY want to take in Oct and don't mind waiting a year you could prob defer for a year at W&M.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 92
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
why would you lose W&M forever? you could reapply...make up some random reason for waiting a year. or just go to washington & lee

sg7007

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:12:38 AM »
june test be hardest ever.

Tell me Hillary's gonna win the democratic nomination over Obama, which is easier to believe in than your precious information about the June LSAT.

sg7007

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 02:18:54 AM »
you could prob defer for a year at W&M.

I'm not seeing deferral as a viable option. Don't they require you to commit to the school the next year when they grant a deferral? That's what I know. If I get a deferral from W&M, it's gonna be before the Oct test, but then if the school requires my commitment, i'll be in trouble. Schools are kinda asses about it. They don't really believe you're gonna try to save the world for a year during the deferred period.

sg7007

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 02:24:29 AM »
why would you lose W&M forever? you could reapply...

Yes. I can always reapply. When I said I would lose W&M forever, I meant I would lose the offer of admission for this cycle. Believe it or not, people out there die struck by lightning, win a multi-million lottery, drown to death in a bathtub. I could get a 150 on the oct test, and won't be able to go to W&M forever (Or, get a heart attack when I get that score from LSAC)

sg7007

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 289
    • MSN Messenger - sg7007@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I put off the test till October - at a huge cost?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 03:11:41 AM »
I'm not sure I understand....is the point of taking it in June that the T14s will look at your new score and admit you around July/August?  Presumably you're on some T14 waitlists?  Maybe other people are more informed about this than me, but I would imagine even going up a couple points isn't going to make it very likely you get into these schools - I was under the impression that after May/June, there are only a couple spots open up for waitlisted people.
No, I'm applying to T14s next cycle. This cycle is already over.

Oh, and I can't tell if Earlcat's suggestion about transferring is a joke, but don't take it seriously either way.

Yeah, I did some research. It's next to impossible. Most grant less than 10~20 seats for transfer.
Transferring is the same as getting struck by lightning.