Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why does everyone hate Appalachian?  (Read 5083 times)

beach bum

• View Profile
Why does everyone hate Appalachian?
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:22:19 AM »
It seems that most people on these forums do not like Appalachian and tell people "do not go there" but do not give specific reasons as to why. Obviously it is a small school, in a small town, but other than obvious reasons, can someone share real experiences both good and bad about the school? Thanks.

marystang67

• Buaidh No Bas
    • AOL Instant Messenger - maryStang67
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - maryStang67
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why does everyone hate Appalachian?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »
I'm going this fall and keep getting the same flack from people.  Only 1 person has actually been able to give me decent reasons, but the way he described everything is not how things are working out for me, so I believe he just had a bad experience.  Everyone is very nice and helpful at the school.

I'm agreeing with you.  If someone has something bad to say about the school, I would like more specifics besides it's new to the ABA list and small in a small town.

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »
I don't know much about the law school but I know ASU is awful. I went down to the NCAA football championships in Chattanooga a few years back because I was in the marching band at one of the teams that made it (UMASS) and we went down to play there.The opposing team was ASU and since it is relatively close to Tenn (well a lot closer than Massachusetts is anyways) there were a lot of their fans there. There were a few nice people, some who were a little arrogant but not mean (their band mostly), but the most of their fans were arrogant rude SOBs. Instead of leaving us alone, they kept throwing water and beer at us (it ruins the uniforms if a lot is on them), getting in our faces while we were just standing there minding our own business, threw thing (sometimes even rocks) at us, kept going right up in our faces and swearing at us, etc. They even hurled some racial epithets at the few black kids in our band. A few guys even tried to beat up our conductor. It got so bad that the Cops had to come over and protect us. All we did the whole time (except when we went to go march and play on the field) was stand there and play music from the band Chicago or ocassionally our fightsong. I think maybe a few of the band members were cheering our team on. But we did nothing more than that.

I know sports are supposed to be competitive (heck I have been to Red Sox-Yankee games before) but the ASU fans were out of control and frankly disgusting in how they treated others.

I love it down south but I will never do anything associated with ASU ever again. I am not sure if it is but if the law school is associated with them, I would run away as fast as possible.

dsetterl

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »
I do not think Appalachian school of law is affiliated with Appy State.

AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »
I did not think Appalachian school of law was affiliated with Appy State.

TITCR

I actually visited ASL for the open house back in March. I was impressed with the faculty and staff. I think that they are top-notch and really seem to have the students at the heart of their scholarship. The facilities seemed pretty nice as well. However...the town of Grundy is VERY isolated. The school and town is literally located in a canyon. There is nothing to do there...nowhere to eat, no pubs, nowhere to shop etc. I could not go there because of the isolation factor alone. This seems to be the main drawback in my view...not the quality of the school itself. 

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »
I do not think Appalachian school of law was affiliated with Appy State.

oh my mistake... I have nothing against ASL and don't know why people say bad stuff about it then...