Law School Discussion

Community college

Community college
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:34:16 PM »
Hey guys, new to the board so be nice!  :D

Well I went to George Mason for one year (as an undergrad) and I have a decision to make....

I have to transfer to a college in North Carolina (because of money reasons...I moved to NC). I have to go to a community college for a year because many NC colleges require that you take a math course before you transfer and I hadnt...

But Im thinking the community college is going to hurt me??? Another option is transfer to UNC Charlotte (they dont need prior college math to transfer) which is an OK school i guess but I can probably do much better after a year of community college. (like Chapel Hill, etc)

How much will taking this path hurt me??

Thanks guys!

Jackie

Re: Community college
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:37:35 PM »
Jackie, no worries.  I don't think that the community college will hurt you.  Just keep your grades up and go to a good 4-year and keep your grades up there.  Schools will see that you went to GM for one year, went to a CC for one and back to a good 4-year school.  There are many reasons for this -- money, family emergency, etc.  Law schools will be looking for how well you did throughout school and the school you graduate with will have more wieght.  Plus, you did not fail out of GM, just had to move on for various reasons.

This is just my opinion though. Someone else on this board may have actually gone through this.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 10:19:06 AM »
I'd just try to go to the best school that you want to go to, and if you have to go to a Community college for a year, then that's ok.  As long as your grade are good, it's fine.  Law schools understand that your first undergrad school may not have ended up at the right one for you for many reasons.  So if you get good grades all the way through, they'll see that no matter where you are, you're a strong student.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 12:18:14 PM »
schools don't care what undergrad you went to as long as you sport the gpa and lsat that they want.  i did a year of cc and the only thing it did was drag up my gpa.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 12:38:25 PM »
Hrm, saying that they don't care at all isn't true.  In general, it's not going to be a reason to not go in, but I think if you go to yale undergrad, it'll be different than State U of where ever.  I agree that if the grade are good, then that's the most important thing, but you can't say that undergrad instituation is a non-issue.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 12:44:02 PM »
Jacy,
OT - I love your avatar.  Everytime I look at it, I laugh.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 12:46:16 PM »
Jackie- UNC-C is actually a fairly decent school in NC, and you should be able to do well in getting into a good law school *provided that you have a good LS score*. I'm from NC, also..I took a years worth of CC courses during my senior year of high school (from several different CC - Surry, Wilkes and Guilford Tech), then went to college in NC for 3 yrs... and am now on my way to law school, with a scholarship.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 01:13:52 PM »
Thanks!  I really wanted to find one of when Puss in Boots makes his cute "pouty" face, but to no avail.  So I settled for this one.  :D

Jacy,
OT - I love your avatar.  Everytime I look at it, I laugh.

NYBound05

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 03:33:06 PM »
I went to a community college for 2 years prior to transferring to my undergrad.  In no way will going to a CC hinder your chances for admission to law school.  Like someone has already said, as long as you do well (GPA and LSAT), then you'll be fine.  This is assuming that all else (e.g. PS, LOR's) are in line.

And yes, although admission officers look at what UG you go to, you're chances won't at all be limited if you perform well. Don't think that because you didn't go to Yale or some Ivy League, you will not be a competititive applicant.  That's bull.

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 09:38:47 PM »
"Hrm, saying that they don't care at all isn't true.  In general, it's not going to be a reason to not go in, but I think if you go to yale undergrad, it'll be different than State U of where ever.  I agree that if the grade are good, then that's the most important thing, but you can't say that undergrad instituation is a non-issue."

depends on the ivy, at harvard something like 80% of the class graduates with latin honors, a 3.5 is essentially meaningless there, whereas a lot of large state u's aren't afraid to flunk people out, a lot of undergrad classes at Wisconsin are graded on a curve, a's arent' handed out like candy.  a 3.7 from UW Madison is a hell of a lot more impressive to me than a 3.7 from harvard.