Law School Discussion

Transcript Disparities

Transcript Disparities
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:20:39 AM »
Issue Resolved.  Thanks to everybody who gave advice.

I figure I ought to delete this for fear of personally identifying information.  Paranoid?

Yeah.

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
Re: Transcript Disparities
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »
I'll preface this by recognizing that no one here can do more than generalize (and may not be able to do that), but generalizing from the anecdotal would be a nice break from generalizing from the statistical.

I have a UGPA of 3.94 and program/degree and institutional GPAs of 4.0  By the time I graduate (likely in the fall), I expect to have a UGPA of around 3.97.  I'll be taking the LSAT in June.  I've gone ahead with a practice test (just the 96 administration provided by LSAC) and scored a 178.  In the past (ACT, SAT) my practice scores have trended a bit lower than my actual scores (more serious up against the wall and all that), but one never knows.  I expect I'll realistically fall anywhere between 170 and 180. 

I have two problems.  One, I'm attending a state school in the third or fourth tier.  I don't fault any law school admissions committee for knocking points off for this (having been here, I would knock off more than a few), but I do wonder how seriously it discredits my GPA.  Two, I attended a junior college off and on several years back (primarily to appease my parents while spending most of my time worrying about girls and how to pay for imported beer).  By the time I finish up, roughly a third of my hours will have come from this college, where I have, depending upon how they frame my transcript, which appears to have changed in the last year, a 3.78 (yes, at a junior college-there were a few girls and a lot of imported beer) or a 3.9.  I also failed a straight line one semester without having attended a single class (I've since retaken them all with As), which they obstinately (and correctly) refuse to expunge, and I have a few withdrawals here and there, none of them for academic reasons.  I tend to drop classes pretty regularly for boredom or whatever else, and occasionally I miss the deadline to do it cleanly.  This is not, however, especially relevant, and it looks pretty shoddy even to me.   

I intend to apply at Harvard, Chicago, Stanford and Columbia, along with UC Berkeley, UCLA, Texas, Georgetown and one or two fallback schools.  What I'm asking, I suppose, is how this looks to those who've been through the process.  I know a few former admissions people float around here, and I'd particularly like to hear from them, but any comment would be appreciated.

I'm just an 0L, however, according to the LSDAS website those F's will be counted into your GPA.
http://lsac.org/pdfs/2008-2009/InformationBook08web.pdf  Pages 28-29.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Ditto. 

I see it won't matter with the quote function.  Still, I have started.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »
well rules out harvard and stanford but not chicago or columbia if you can really kick ass on the lsat.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 01:52:31 PM »
That's what I've gathered.  My chances at Stanford and Harvard are now very slim.  My chances at Columbia and Chicago are a little better. 

I didn't mention it, but I will certainly be applying at NYU as well.  Columbia's my preference, but I'd be happy either way.  I see you're a student there (3L?).  How is it?  I know the job prospects are fantastic, but how's the campus?  Living conditions?  Professors? 

Thanks for the reply.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:02 PM »
Professors are great and surprisingly open to interaction with students. Housing is ok for the village, not great but a decent deal. The building is good. Seriously, do well on the LSAT and you will have plenty of options.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »
That's not a bad idea.

The withdrawals are all reported as Ws, not WIs or WUs or WFs.  As I understand it, that means they won't be folded into GPA at all.  But it would be nice to know, yes, where precisely I'll stand.

Thanks for the advice.