Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Celtics or Lakers??

Celtics
Lakers

Author Topic: NBA FINALS  (Read 4328 times)

steezi

• View Profile
Re: NBA FINALS
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »
Lakers in 5.

The Celtics have had much longer series during the playoff and those old bodies of their stars are getting tired, whereas the Lakers have had more time to rest despite having tougher playoff opponents. For being the team with the best record in the NBA regular seasons the Celtics have been quite disappointing as a playoff team in the much weaker East.

dsetterl

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »
It cannot be explained. They are two very tough teams. When I say five I am just guessing. I still think the West is a better conference. However, the Celtics are awesome, and it is going to be a great matchup, and like our poll shows, it could be anyone's game. So basically, my argument for the Lakers is completely based on passion and 100% illogical. ;D  I am a Grizzlies/Gasol fan soooo..... Go Lakers!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 06:18:27 PM »
If the Celtics can leave Kobe completely alone but shut down the rest of the team, the Celtics will take it.  There's no point defending Kobe b/c he's going to do what he's going to do.  I really think that's the only way the Celts can take it.

That's what the Spurs did.  It didn't work.  And they even had Bowen on Kobe.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »
If the Celtics can leave Kobe completely alone but shut down the rest of the team, the Celtics will take it.  There's no point defending Kobe b/c he's going to do what he's going to do.  I really think that's the only way the Celts can take it.

They also had a gimpy Ginobili and massive leads that they blew in 2 of the games.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
The Spur's defense wasn't really the problem (although there were too many second chances).  The Spurs had an extremely difficult time getting their offense going, with their key players having more off nights than on - I mean, no disrespect to Barry, but when he's your number one performer out of Parker, Duncan and Ginobli, you've got a serious problem offensively.

And to reiterate my point, it's not about who you have on Kobe; you can't shut him down (although Bowen did better at that job than a lot of players have).  It's about shutting everyone else down and trying to make Kobe the only scorer; I doubt Kobe can win 4 games all by himself.  Assuming the Celtics have kicked this "we can't win a game on the road" BS, they have a much better chance against the Lakers than the Spurs did.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »

They also had a gimpy Ginobili and massive leads that they blew in 2 of the games.

Excuses are like Froot Loops...

...everybody has them for breakfast?

I remember the last time the Lakers made it to the finals. I laughed pretty hard.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 01:01:32 AM »
Can't win every year, but I'll take 4-5 banners this decade when all is said and done...

HTH.

Which is why they are so fun to hate. Same with the Yankees. They've enjoyed their time. Their fans don't deserve another run. Meanwhile, there are many teams starved for championships. The NFL has sort of balanced things with the salary cap and the NBA has the luxury tax, but in baseball it's just terrible (though this year things don't look that bad.... yet).

steezi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 01:04:37 AM »
It's true that the Celtics have a good record against the west but that was during the regular season. Playoff basketball is a whole other story (see Hawks/Celtics series). The Hawks didn't even break 0.500 and still the Celtics were blown out by them in several games. True the Celtics may have the best regular season record but their playoff record is far from stellar. The Lakers on the other hand...let's just say Kobe locking up the league MVP during the playoffs was just a sign of their increasing dominance.

Also, the 2004 season was ages ago and the Lakers are a whole new team, especially after shedding the NBA's biggest dead weight...Shaq...he was holding Kobe down.

Go Lakers!

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »
I work in a building immediately nextdoor to the Banknorth Garden (actually I am in North Station every day so I am pretty much in the building more or less every day)... its insane how excited people are getting already... yesteday there were like 30 cops there to make sure it didn't get out of control

dsetterl

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »
I wish that I could go to the finals.  :-\ I still have never been to an NBA game.