Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preptest 4, section 4, #9  (Read 405 times)

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Preptest 4, section 4, #9
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:24:46 PM »
can someone explain this problem? the question seems to have the sufficient and necessary condition backwards, but then it does say "requirement."

"A scientific theory is a good theory if it satisfies two requirements: it must accurately describe a large class of observation and it must make definite predictions about the results of future observations."

The answer only works if you assume that the 2 requirements are the necessary condition. But the "if" clause makes me believe that those two, met together, are merely the sufficient condition.. (i.e. there can be other ways in which scientific theory can be a good theory). can someone please explain?

LSATHell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Preptest 4, section 4, #9
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »
Yeah, I understand your confusion, but those conditions are definitely necessary conditions.
Obviously, we can't assume that 'if' will always be followed by a sufficient condition.
What about 'only if?'  Well, that's definitely not a sufficient indicator.
Similarly, in this case, you're tipped off by the words 'requirements' and 'must.'

And even the start of the sentence, 'A scientific theory is...'
Analogous to 'People who score 120 on the LSAT are... <insert necessary condition>.'
-- Both sufficient conditions.
I hope that makes sense.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Preptest 4, section 4, #9
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »
got it. I guess I have to have that on the lookout. Also, i'm not sure if i'm just imagining this, but has there been an "if only" on the LSAT?