Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm not making enough money this 0L summer and need to get a loan  (Read 2317 times)

wcombs65

• View Profile
I'm not making enough to pay my rent, eat, buy gas AND I need a new computer.  I also need more money for the school year, the Stafford loans won't be enough.  I need about $7,000 to get by this summer, get a computer and help pay bills during the year.  Which private lender have you found is the best and/or where can I go online to compare lenders?  Thanks.  (Obviously I can't wait until school starts so Grad Plus is out of the question).

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm not making enough money this 0L summer and need to get a loan
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:12:27 PM »
Job?  Second job?  Third job?  Decrease the burden your lifestyle places on your bank account?
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »
Job?  Second job?  Third job?  Decrease the burden your lifestyle places on your bank account?

Do you really think that will work? 
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
Do you really think that will work? 

Think of it like a bathtub.  One might plug the drain in order to take a bath, but that's not necessary at all.  No, one just needs the input of water to the tub to exceed the output of water through the drain.

You see?

;)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:58:30 AM »
What's the word on taking out a small ( < $3000) private loan for miscellaneous living expenses I expect to incur. My base costs and everything is covered, by aid and fed loans, but I think it would be a squeeze to eat ramen noodles all year, etc. Has anyone done this and if so how'd it work out, and who was your lender?

wtracing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Roll Angry Wave!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »
Unless you take out a monthly installment loan from a bank, I don't believe this can be done.  At the LEAST to get a private loan you'd need a copy of your schedule from the school and most don't release that until close to the start of the school year.  You also need to make sure you get a non-certified private loan meaning the school does not certify it, otherwise you cannot exceed the COA.  Some consolidation companies (most it seems) wont let you roll those into private consolidation loans either.  So, no matter how you look at it, this is a bad deal.
Tulane Class of 2011