Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Serious Help: Should I transfer From Fordham to Georgetown  (Read 4071 times)

yankee123

• View Profile
I finished my first semester around the top 5% at Fordham, however I fear I may fall to around the top 3rd when all my grades come in.  I was accepted EA into Gerogetown FT.  I want to work in biglaw, preferably nyc, but I also want the option of working in other cities, as I have two years to go and often change my mind about what I want to do.  other things about me: not much work experience, ivy undergrad.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

hedrick1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need Serious Help: Should I transfer From Fordham to Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:16 PM »
I finished my first semester around the top 5% at Fordham, however I fear I may fall to around the top 3rd when all my grades come in.  I was accepted EA into Gerogetown FT.  I want to work in biglaw, preferably nyc, but I also want the option of working in other cities, as I have two years to go and often change my mind about what I want to do.  other things about me: not much work experience, ivy undergrad.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Even with top 1/3, Fordham should position you for NYC BigLaw. If you want BigLaw outside of NYC, I would jump to Georgetown. 

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:08:58 AM »
If you remain in the top 20% after the 2nd semester, I'd advise on staying at Fordham.  Even in a bad market (such as the current one), top 20% should land you biglaw from Fordham.  Additionally, if you leave Fordham to attend GULC and interview at NYC firms, don't you think this will sned mixed signals to interviewers?  You're also bound to interview with a Fordham grad too, which would be one awkward interview.

If you had an interest in academia, clerking, or working in DC; then GULC becomes more desirable.  You haven't mentioned any of these interests, so I won't speculate anymore.

Johnnyping

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »
Yankee, I hate to piggy back over here too, but I also am really struggling with this decision. It doesn't help that GULC wants 500 bucks by monday.

Long story short I'm in the exact same boat, except slightly higher rank but from St. John's university. I also have a VERY strong interest in clerking for a couple of years after I graduate.

Thoughts?

Why can't someone else just make this decision for me!?

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:12:29 AM »
Same situation, essentially. I bit the bullet and paid just in case I want the option.

(the fact that I'm working at a firm this summer made me a little less annoyed about the $500)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:27:40 AM »
If you want to clerk, definitely transfer to G-town form St. John's.  The Fordham question is closer - I'd wait to see what my actual grades are.  I think it unlikely you will fall that far from first semester to second semester. 

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
If you want to clerk, definitely transfer to G-town form St. John's.  The Fordham question is closer - I'd wait to see what my actual grades are.  I think it unlikely you will fall that far from first semester to second semester. 

I dunno man, second semester grades supposedly change a lot. I was top 1% after first semester, and I definitely feel very uncomfortable this time around...we can't really "wait it out" because GULC wants money on Monday.

(and, unbelievably, still no grades)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
Well, if you're top 1%, chances are you'll go down.  That's because there's no where else to go.  But the OP said he anticipated going from top 5% to top third.  That is a HUGE change that is just not likely.  Top 5% to 10%?  Maybe, but it is unlikely that you simply forgot how to take exams from Winter to Spring sufficient to lead to a drastic drop.

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 12:26:46 PM »
Well, if you're top 1%, chances are you'll go down.  That's because there's no where else to go.  But the OP said he anticipated going from top 5% to top third.  That is a HUGE change that is just not likely.  Top 5% to 10%?  Maybe, but it is unlikely that you simply forgot how to take exams from Winter to Spring sufficient to lead to a drastic drop.

But everyone else probably got better at it, so what was "amazing" then is probably not quite as impressive now.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »

But everyone else probably got better at it, so what was "amazing" then is probably not quite as impressive now.

This is true. One of my friends was slightly below the curve last semester, and this semester has all A's so far (3 out of four grades in for our section). Can't believe you haven't gotten any yet. But another friend who did amazingly well last semester seems to have dropped a bit (don't know the details just that she isn't as happy as last semester). It's such a crapshoot though, because a lot of it really does seem arbitrary.

OP, I don't think it'd be hard to get NYC out of Georgetown, and in this economy, if you're paying full price at Fordham it seems like a safer bet.