Law School Discussion

Need Serious Help: Should I transfer From Fordham to Georgetown

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Re: Need Serious Help: Should I transfer From Fordham to Georgetown
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »
Maybe I'm clueless, but top 1% at GW seems superior to GULC unless you're at the top of the class there too (which of course isn't a given). What would motivate you to make that kind of move (or Penn for that matter)? Is it all about 10 years down the line?

All about family.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
If you want to clerk, definitely transfer to G-town form St. John's.  The Fordham question is closer - I'd wait to see what my actual grades are.  I think it unlikely you will fall that far from first semester to second semester. 

I dunno man, second semester grades supposedly change a lot. I was top 1% after first semester, and I definitely feel very uncomfortable this time around...we can't really "wait it out" because GULC wants money on Monday.

(and, unbelievably, still no grades)

Congrats on GULC. Where else did you apply for transfer?

Ha, thanks. Penn. The only school I'll apply to, probably.

Assuming you remain in the top 5%, I would seriously recommend throwing an application at Columbia, NYU, and Harvard.

PS: smart move paying the deposit at GULC. You at least have it as a backup chip if your new grades reveal that you fell outside the top 10%

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »
If you want to clerk, definitely transfer to G-town form St. John's.  The Fordham question is closer - I'd wait to see what my actual grades are.  I think it unlikely you will fall that far from first semester to second semester. 

I dunno man, second semester grades supposedly change a lot. I was top 1% after first semester, and I definitely feel very uncomfortable this time around...we can't really "wait it out" because GULC wants money on Monday.

Assuming you remain in the top 5%, I would seriously recommend throwing an application at Columbia, NYU, and Harvard.

PS: smart move paying the deposit at GULC. You at least have it as a backup chip if your new grades reveal that you fell outside the top 10%

Nah, not interested.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 01:55:23 PM »

Nah, not interested.

yeah- those schools suck  ;)

Good luck with whatever decision you make  ;D

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »
Family in Philly? That makes sense. But what good is the GULC backup? Or am I missing something?

Of course, you don't have to share. I just find the decision interesting because it's a tough line between so high in the class at a good school to get to a great school.

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »
Family in Philly? That makes sense. But what good is the GULC backup? Or am I missing something?

Of course, you don't have to share. I just find the decision interesting because it's a tough line between so high in the class at a good school to get to a great school.

GULC is the backup in case his spring grades seriously alter his class rank. By paying the deposit at GULC, he can have the option to (a) stay at GW if he remains near his current ranking; or (b) flee to GULC if his spring grades punt him out of the top 10% of the class at GW. It's great that he has GULC as a backup option.

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
Bump.

So we recieved our class rankings, and I finished a little above top 25% at Fordham, however below the top 10%.  My goal, again, is to get NYC biglaw.  I have been accepted to Georgetown, and am torn as to whether I should go.  Do people think above top quarter at Fordham is enough to do the trick, or will Georgetown give me a (needed?) boost?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

SASS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
Personally, I would just stay at Fordham if I wanted to practice in NY. While it is true you will probably have lots of opportunities if you transferred to GULC, I think you would have similar ones from Fordham in NY without the pain of transferring. You should consider other factors like how easy it would be for you to network for NYC if you are already there.