Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northeastern ($$) v. Suffolk ($$$$)  (Read 661 times)

blues86

• View Profile
Northeastern ($$) v. Suffolk ($$$$)
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:55:36 PM »
Hi all!

I was all set to enroll at Northeastern in the fall, but then Suffolk calls me this morning with a $30,000 annual scholarship, renewable each year provided I can maintain a 3.0 GPA.  Needless to say, the prospect of near-free tuition has thrown a bit of a wrench in my plans.

To tell you a bit about myself, I'm interested in public interest law and I cannot see myself ever leaving the Boston area except for maybe taking a short holiday, haha.  Both Suffolk and Northeastern have spent significant resources on their public interest programs, and if they are known for anything, they are known for their respective commitments to public interest law.

Northeastern has offered me a total of $10,000 in scholarships and grants that are renewable each year with no strings attached.  They have also offered me a $3,000 one-time stipend if I decide to do a public interest co-op (which I had planned to do anyways).

I really like Northeastern's co-op program, but I am a bit put off by the fact they have no law review.  I'm certainly not the best legal writer, but I'd certainly love to try to be on a law review if I could.  Suffolk does have a law review, but no co-op program however.

I'm not too interested in "biglaw" as a career path (although I certainly wouldn't mind one of those summer associate jobs, which sound amazing with the fun activities and big paychecks) and as mentioned, I'm only concerned with how easy it will be to find a job in Boston after graduation, preferably in public interest.

I still really like Northeastern, but I'm wondering if it's worth paying an extra $57,000 over three years to go there over Suffolk ($90,000 total from Suffolk, $33,000 total from Northeastern).  Has anyone else faced a similar decision where money has been affecting their decision on where to go to law school?

Oh, I should also mention that I'm on the waitlist at BC, and if I can somehow snag an admittance, I'll definitely be attending BC, regardless of the cost, so this could (hopefully, but not likely) all be rendered moot, haha.

Thanks for reading fellows.  Cheers!

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Northeastern ($$) v. Suffolk ($$$$)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »
Suffolk curves at 2.7, Northeastern has no grades.  Co-op places you in a workplace environment early (with possible stipend), and if you work in the public interest for 10 years and pay 20% of your loans you get your federal loans deferred anyways.  I say Northeastern based purely on the financial aspect.

However, Suffolk has the 21,000 local alumni.  Take it as you will.

Finding a job in the public service isnt too hard, just go to a courthouse and ask to be put on the docket for indigent clients, that or get a full time PD gig at a county seat or something.  35k to start but you get that public interest bump and should be able to set up a criminal defense solo career after.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
3.0 on a 2.7 curve is a really high requirement for keeping your scholarship.

Would you still be content at Suffolk paying full tuition 2nd and 3rd year?

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 07:30:11 PM »
i would pick Northeastern ($$) over Suffolk ($$$$). The NE people i've met loved it there

blues86

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies UVAnProud2L, Clayton, and $Bill!  I truly appreciate your help, but I actually got accepted to BC today off the waitlist, so it looks like I'll definitely be heading there instead!