Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Obama will lose in the fall  (Read 82711 times)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Why Obama will lose in the fall
« Reply #1190 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:23 AM »
I guess you might not agree with the notion that the constitution is a 'living document'?

Yeah, as a woman and an Indian, how the #$@* did I just vote anyway?
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:25 AM »
For crying out loud!  He was talking about the original constitution's protection of slavery as an economic compromise -- one that might be characterized, btw, as the biggest redistributive policy in American history.  Here's the entire interview for people who have the attention span and listening skills: http://www.wbez.org/audio_library/od_rasep01.asp#010906  (September 6, 2001, Slavery & The Constitution).  Did you miss the part where he called the constitution a "remarkable political document"?  That was even included in that completely out of context clip.

Also:

At a July 19 event at the Council on Foreign Relations, [Condoleezza Rice] said: "In our first Constitution, my ancestors were three-fifths of a man. What does that say about American democracy at its outset? I've said it's a great birth defect. And we have had to overcome a birth defect. And, like any birth defect, it continues to have an impact on us. It's why we have such a hard time talking about race, and dealing with race."

During a July 10, 2003, interview on CNN's Larry King Live, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said: "It took us a while to recognize that we could not live our Constitution truly unless we eliminated slavery, and hundreds of thousands of young men fought a civil war to end slavery and then it took us a long time to get rid of the vestiges of slavery and we're still working on it to this very day."

In July 8, 2003, remarks made at Goree Island in Senegal, Bush said that the "moral vision" of abolitionists "caused Americans to examine our hearts, to correct our Constitution, and to teach our children the dignity and equality of every person of every race." He added: "The racial bigotry fed by slavery did not end with slavery or with segregation. And many of the issues that still trouble America have roots in the bitter experience of other times."

Additionally, in an August 5, 2006, interview with C-SPAN's Brian Lamb, Chief Justice John Roberts said of the authors of the Constitution: "They never worked out what to do about slavery and just kind of shuttled that aside and decided we're not going to talk about that. And that taint in the Constitution, took a Civil War to remove." Later in the interview, he said that the Constitution's amendment process "did allow some fundamental flaws to be addressed like slavery -- abolished in the Thirteenth Amendment."

That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 31, 2008, 12:26:07 AM »

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 31, 2008, 01:36:31 AM »

But what do I know, I'm no constitutional law professor who refuses to release any of my law school work, lectures, or harvard law review articles.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12705.html
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:06 AM »
yeah...uh huh...

n.b. from the economist article:

"Given Mr Obama’s inexperience, the lack of clarity about some of his beliefs and the prospect of a stridently Democratic Congress, voting for him is a risk. Yet it is one America should take, given the steep road ahead."

no risks this time...we did that with bush, no???

and two men to remember that the dems and the media thought had this thing wrapped up..

al gore and john kerry...barack obama is more of the same...blah...blah..blah..bla h...

this is a dangerous world...

exhibit a. 61 Killed, 350 Hurt In Bombings Across India's Assam State

exhibit b. 5 car bombings kill 22 in northern Somalia...Insurgents seen expanding reach

exhibit c. Kabul Bombing Part of Taliban's Escalation

exhibit d. Thousands flee rebel fighting in Congo

...not for a newcomer...let the tested "commander in chief" handle this...

the one who is a war hero and a former prisoner of war...

...he won't need to look things up in a book...he will know what to do....

...please...experience counts for more than two years of a term in the u.s. senate and two years of giving pretty speeches..

This is what redistribution actually looks like in our country, btw: http://www.taxfoundation.org/UserFiles/Image/Blog/ftsbs-large.jpg

And here's the Economist's endorsement:
http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?source=most_commented&story_id=12516666
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1195 on: October 31, 2008, 01:53:24 AM »
John Mccain has more experience blowing up planes than any terrorist I've heard of. They've all blown up one. He's destroyed three. That's impressive.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 31, 2008, 02:08:24 AM »
John Mccain has more experience blowing up planes than any terrorist I've heard of. They've all blown up one. He's destroyed three. That's impressive.

yeah...math not your strong suite and you do not know much about veterans do ya?

you obviously don't know much about what is going on outside our borders...national security is for the grown ups...not the upstarts with naive pretty speeches...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 31, 2008, 02:09:03 AM »
But what do I know, I'm no constitutional law professor who refuses to release any of my law school work, lectures, or harvard law review articles.

Oh, and by the way, this is particularly rich coming from someone who supports a ticket that refuses to release public records under a legislative subpoena, health records, tax records, etc., etc.

In any case, here is an article that links to several of Obama's exams and his syllabus for Race & The Law.  Here is a post on the Times' political blog where several constitutional scholars, one leftist, one liberal-iconoclast, one libertarian, and one conservative, comment on the exams and syllabus (scroll down a bit to get to the substantive commentary).  If you care to critique Obama's understanding of the constitution again, please read these comments in full and listen to the entire interview before doing so.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 31, 2008, 02:16:54 AM »

Oh, and by the way, this is particularly rich coming from someone who supports a ticket that refuses to release public records under a legislative subpoena, health records, tax records, etc., etc.

In any case, here is an article that links to several of Obama's exams and his syllabus for Race & The Law.  Here is a post on the Times' political blog where several constitutional scholars, one leftist, one liberal-iconoclast, one libertarian, and one conservative, comment on the exams and syllabus (scroll down a bit to get to the substantive commentary).  If you care to critique Obama's understanding of the constitution again, please read these comments in full and listen to the entire interview before doing so.

forget about delving into obama being a hack in college...he launched his campaign as a hack...

hey...take the ayers book "fugitive"  and obama's book "dreams..."and compare...eerily similar...

if you are astute with script analysis...these two are ringers for same authorship...

naw...bill ayers and obama don't know anything about each other... ::)

...if obama attempts to run at the presidency again in 2012 we might get all of the facts about him...until then...let this vetting process continue...even if he doesn't run for president again...as a u.s. senator there is more we need to know...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 31, 2008, 02:31:18 AM »
First of all, those aren't artifacts from his college years; they're exams he gave when he was teaching constitutional law at the most selective of the top five conservative law schools.

Second, your repetitions that Obama has been running for president for two years and that there has been insufficient time to vet him are at odds.  You might want to think about that.