Law School Discussion

Why Obama will lose in the fall

Re: Why Obama will lose in the fall
« Reply #750 on: September 19, 2008, 03:27:10 PM »
In my opinion, McCain's military service is much more relevant to providing responsible leadership for our country than Obama's.

Saying that serving in the military gives a person commander-in-chief experience is like saying working in a movie theater concession stand gives a person movie making experience.

Military experience is commendable and certainly relevant to some discussions (ex., dedication to one's country).  However, it is not a trump card for everything as McCain sometimes would like to make it seem.

meh.

« Reply #751 on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »
As the only true conservative on this board I feel I must say what canít not be said by our partyís leadership: This whole McCain/Palin thing is yet another example of how McCain is not a true conservative. For Christís sakes he nominated a woman for VP. A WOMAN. WTF? Where are the religious right, the base of the party, this is a sin in the eyes of god a woman place is in home caring for the children. Its this kind of mindset and liberal thinking that has ruined the party for me. Now that Strom Thurman is dead, I guess Iíll just have to write in Pat Buchanís name when I vote.  That or Iíll switch back my affiliation to Tory.

While some may see that McCain's choice of Palin is an abomination, it was a masterstroke designed to counter the effect of the true minion of evil, Hillary Clinton. May the world come to an end before that ilk sets foot in the White House again.

And Piggy, command experience is command experience.  While it may not be general officer experience, I will still take it as superior to Obama's demonstrated lack of fitness for the position.

« Reply #752 on: September 19, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »
And Piggy, command experience is command experience.  While it may not be general officer experience, I will still take it as superior to Obama's demonstrated lack of fitness for the position.

That's fair.

Is it more important for the president to be able to go-it-alone in office, or for the president to choose skilled people who will be able to advise him on the many many issues facing this country?  Given that no mere mortal has the depth of knowledge required to have sophisticated approaches to everything our government is involved in, it seems mandatory that the president be surrounded with qualified people to fill the gaps.  McCain  has acknowledged his own weakness on economic matters; I assume he'll be appointing someone to whom he'll defer when making economic decisions, right?  Likewise, Obama is a mere mortal and will necessarily do the same.

Obama has shown that he can run a tight ship (at least while campaigning).  McCain has been quite a bit sloppier with running his.  I think it's telling, personally.

« Reply #753 on: September 19, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
Like any leadership position, the presidency is a lonely office.  While Obama may be able to surround himself with skilled advisers, the final decision will still be his -- and he has given me no confidence that he would listen to such advice.  The best advice in the world is useless if one does not take it.  Sometimes, leadership decisions must be made by the leader, even in the face of opposition -- I believe that McCain would be more capable of doing that.

Obama's campaign has seemed to be tossed this way and that and I would hope he would not try to run a cabinet -- or the country -- in the same fashion. 

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 19, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

That's fair.

Is it more important for the president to be able to go-it-alone in office, or for the president to choose skilled people MEN who will be able to advise him on the many many issues facing this country?  Given that no mere mortal (since Regan died) has the depth of knowledge required to have sophisticated approaches to everything our government is involved in, it seems mandatory that the president be surrounded with qualified people MEN to fill the gaps.  McCain  has acknowledged his own weakness on economic matters; I assume he'll be appointing someone  A MAN to whom he'll defer when making economic decisions, right? 

fixt

Saxby Clemens II

• I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 19, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
In my opinion, McCain's military service is much more relevant to providing responsible leadership for our country than Obama's.  Obama talks a good game, but what does he really stand for?  All the "change change change" talk....what is he really capable of changing in Washington.  Perhaps the common people WANT change, but at the end of the day, he is still a politician like all the rest, and a fairly untried one at that.  I'll take a proven American hero over that any day of the week.

No it isn't.  There are plenty of irresponsible military personnel.  That's not to say McCain is irresponsible, because I don't believe he is.  His POW status just doesn't make him a better choice for president or more likely to succeed in office than Obama. 

What does McCain stand for?  The same party-line crap Obama does.  If you like the Republican platform more than the Democratic one, then by all means, vote for McCain.  Just don't pretend an opposition to drilling in the Arctic and an opposition to amending the constitution to discriminate against an entire segment of the American populous makes one a change agent.  Anyone who's been involved with Congress for 20 minutes, let alone 20 years, knows that nothing changes.  Certainly not in one administration.  A flip-flopping "hockey mom" is certainly not going to revolutionize anything.     

I'm willing to admit McCain is more qualified to be president than Obama, but that's not a particularly amazing accomplishment, considering Obama's been a Senator for 10 minutes.  As Piggy points out, though, the presidency isn't a solo performance.  Nothing about the way McCain's run his campaign or the views he's put out in an effort to be what the worst elements of the Republican party want him to be shows me that he'd be anything more than a Bush sequel.  Obama actually could be Britney Spears or Paris Hilton and would still be a much safer bet than that. 

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #756 on: September 19, 2008, 05:51:46 PM »
As the only true conservative on this board I feel I must say what canít not be said by our partyís leadership: This whole McCain/Palin thing is yet another example of how McCain is not a true conservative. For Christís sakes he nominated a woman for VP. A WOMAN. WTF? Where are the religious right, the base of the party, this is a sin in the eyes of god a woman place is in home caring for the children. Its this kind of mindset and liberal thinking that has ruined the party for me. Now that Strom Thurman is dead, I guess Iíll just have to write in Pat Buchanís name when I vote.  That or Iíll switch back my affiliation to Tory.

While some may see that McCain's choice of Palin is an abomination, it was a masterstroke designed to counter the effect of the true minion of evil, Hillary Clinton. May the world come to an end before that ilk sets foot in the White House again.

this is weird to me. everyone claims that the media is being sexist in its coverage of palin, but where were all these people when hillary's hair, suits, and tone of voice were fair game to all pundits, conservative or liberal? i was a hillary fan who switched to obama, but after palin got picked in what stephen colbert called a "historic pandering", there is no way i'm trusting mccain's judgment.

« Reply #757 on: September 19, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
i was a hillary fan who switched to obama, but after palin got picked in what stephen colbert called a "historic pandering", there is no way i'm trusting mccain's judgment.

True.  In another reality, McCain would have actually picked Hillary as the VP candidate.  Then Hillary would have had Bill annoy McCain to death.

Yup.

;)

« Reply #758 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »
John McCain wasn't your average POW.  He flew 22 successful bombing missions and on his 23rd was shot down and badly injured.  He was imprisoned and tortured.  When the cong found out that his father was an Admiral, they tried to make a propaganda gesture and release him.  He refused because soldiers follow the rule of first in first out.  That was 1968.  He didn't get home until 1973.  As a reward for this act of compassion and courage, the cong stepped up the torture.  McCain could have struck a deal, but didn't.  That's a sign of character.

When he got back, he could have retired and found a new life in the private sector.  Instead, he dedicated his life to his country and studied at the National War College, earning the honor to command a large, US based training squadron.  When the opportunity came to step up and become the Navy's liaison to the Senate, he proudly served.  He retired in 1981 as a Captain in the US Navy.

The Navy Captain is an executive position.  Decision making skills are essential.

So if you want to talk about McCain's experience in the navy, let's not forget that he wasn't JUST a POW.  He was a dedicated member of our military service who suffered in defense of this nation.  He was a commander and retired a Captain.  Don't minimize his military experience by summing it up as being a POW.  He was a heroic POW who suffered at the hands of our enemies, then instead of taking it easy and heading to the private sector, chose to continue to defend our nation through military service.  He didn't take it easy then either and fought his way into a command position.

Obama's record simply doesn't compare to McCain's record in terms of dedication and service.  To argue otherwise is ridiculous.  If all you get from the McCain campaign is another 4 years of Bush, you are either not paying attention or relying on left wing media outlets, hell bent and fully invested in coronating Barack Obama as the President of the world.  Turn of NBC, MSNBC and CNN, stop frequenting the dailykos and the huffpuff blog and try looking for yourself.

McCain's campaign is about reforming Washington, working to solve America's problems, minimizing partisanship, and steering our country back on track.  Don't allow you disdain for Bush to seduce you into thinking that all republican's are like Bush.  Many Republicans dislike bush because of how far of a deviation from conservative principles his ideology is.  Obama, like it or not, has run his campaign in typical dirty chicago political machine style.  I know.  I live in Chicago and have seen it for years.  He says he's about issues, but spent the bulk of his campaign making the campaign about empty ideas like 'hope' and 'change' while billing himself as a rockstar.  All of a sudden, he wants to be about issues, yet every Obama ad talks more about how baaad McCain is while throwing in buzzwords and the most topical of issue statements.  I'm not buying it.  Show me an Obama ad where he doesn't mention McCain or Bush and instead talks about his own policies, because I haven't seen one yet. Does he have any?  In typical Chicago style, he spends the bulk of his time talking about how bad the other guy is.  At some point, you have to look at the kool aid that's been put in your cup and decide if it's been made properly.

A lot can be said about Obama, but it simply doesn't ring true to say that his experience has greater depth or meaning than McCain's.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #759 on: September 19, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »
i was a hillary fan who switched to obama, but after palin got picked in what stephen colbert called a "historic pandering", there is no way i'm trusting mccain's judgment.

True.  In another reality, McCain would have actually picked Hillary as the VP candidate.  Then Hillary would have had Bill annoy McCain to death.

Yup.

;)

i fully endorse this plan  ;D