Law School Discussion

Why Obama will lose in the fall

Scentless Apprentice

• My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Why Obama will lose in the fall
« Reply #590 on: September 09, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
Currently nodding in agreement.

It's amazing to me that women would vote for a certain presidental candidate just because the VP is a "hard working mom." Who cares? I'm learning how naive I am.

I'm concerned about anyone who names a child Track or Trig. Seriously..life is hard enough, why give your child extra headaches? Lucky for them their names are Sarah & Todd. If their names were Shelf and Lamp or something, then they would have a point..

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:25 AM »
Recent news suggests it's men who support Palin anyway.

That's because she looks like Tina Fey.

no...she resembles tina fey and annie oakley...and she kicked the corrupt g.o.p. out of alaska...and she has a 5 children job...that is why some men like her...

she is smart...and tough...she reminds men of their wives and girlfriends and mothers of their children...

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
...obama did not apologize for his sexist comment reflecting palin's difference between a pit-bull and a hockey mom...

...lipstick...

instead...he used a sexist "cliche"...

...and then he DID NOT apologize for it!

...instead? he justified it...

...the problem MANY PEOPLE have with politicians is that politicians DO NOT APOLOGIZE!!!

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »
mark my words...obama will LOSE the election if he does not acknowledge that we need to become energy independent...we need to begin offshore drilling now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/05/politics/fromtheroad/entry4323718.shtml

http://super-ways.com/top-5-fuel-saving-tips-without-changing-the-way-you-drive/

you are going to have to come up with something better than that.

you are wrong...china and japan demand more oil than ever before...opec regulators will begin to get nervous when we merely threaten to begin offshore drilling...as seen when bush merely mentioned he will try to lobby that we lift the ban on offshore drilling...the regulators get jittery and then when off shore drilling gets the okay...WATCH...gas prices will begin to come down...just watch...because off-shore drilling will happen...it is what the american people want.

the primary issue of this election season is the price of gas...domestic issues...the economy...and the price at the pump is a big part of it...so off-shore drilling will set us on the way to somewhat of an energy independence...along with solar, wind, and fissile energies...

but the offshore drilling advocate candidate will get the support of the independent electorate...

« Reply #594 on: September 10, 2008, 08:59:05 AM »
With all the sexist attacks on Palin coming from the left, it shouldn't be a surprise that there is a shift amongst women as well....

Not any women I know.  Where are these purported sexist attacks from Democratic leaders or the Obama campaign?  I think it's time for Republicans to stop playing the victim on gender and allow Ms. Palin to come out for interviews.  Personally, I find it insulting that McCain believes that he couldn't find a more qualified woman under his big tent and that women vote mainly on vaginas and chromosomes.

Ugh, we can talk about another shift, with McCain's choice of Palin (who, btw, I ran across in my 2006 Abramoff research, do she ain't so pure and non-lobbyist-tainted, jsyk.)

I was determined NOT to vote Obama, as 1) I'm from Maine and I figured, heck, my vote doesn't count in such a true-blue state, and 2) Obama is too conservative for me.  Well, now I'm voting Obama, sure as the day is long. And while it might not matter, being from Maine and all, I suspect that I'm not the only one. See, there are enough women my age who actually remember Palin's "type" in high school, college and even the work place, and the world is not all hockey-moms and daisies.  The Palins of the world actually made the day-to-day existence of millions of true working-mom-feminists harder and nastier, and we know it.  So, yeah, some of the DailyKos crowd need to shut their traps on the misogyny train, but for the most part, in the long run, I'm not actually concerned about my demographic.  Two months is a long time, particularly in American culture, for the shine to wear off.  Pslin will remind more and more women voters over time just why we dislike her now, and always have.

So an Obama sticker goes on my car - I wish it were Michelle Obama (as she's definitely the bees knees) but I'll accept her spouse as well.

With all due respect, and in no way am I trying to offend you, but:

Specifically - how do 'the palin's of the world' make the 'day-to-day existence of millions of true working-mom-feminists harder and nastier' exactly?  By existing?  You remember her "type" from high school?  Basketball players?  Attractive girls?  What the hell are you talking about?  Because from where I sit, it sounds like nonsense similar to what I heard on the radio this morning - callers to a comedy based morning show shouting about how Palin wants everyone to apologize to her for insulting her.  Did Palin ask for apologies, or is that just part of the liberal talking points delivered via your local newspaper?

I fail to see how people like Palin make life more difficult for moms, working or otherwise, or feminists.  Her is a strong leader who took on a male dominated political structure and won.  Here is a woman who rose to become the first female governor of the state of alaska - and managed to keep her approval rating above 80% while doing it.  Here is a woman who got involved in her kids PTA, took on a mayor she thought didn't represent the views of her town (and won).  This woman reformed local government and made enough of a name for herself as a leader that she ran was appointed to an essential energy group.  While serving in this position, she was disgusted by the level of corruption and misuse of power.  Did she play along and take advantage of the people?  No.  She quit - then she did what could have been political suicide by blowing the whistle on the corruption after being wholly ignored when she tried to go through the appropriate channels.  Instead of being disgusted by her and ostracizing her, she ran for governor against an entrenched, but dirty politician and won, becoming the first woman to run the state.  As governor, she attacked government waste, pulled the plug on the bridge to nowhere, and fought public corruption - all while winning the overwhelming approval of her constituents (unheard of in modern politics).  No governor holds such a high approval rating in the entire United States of America.

She is a working mom who has always found time for her family.  A woman who put her community and her state first instead of her personal finances and pork.  Please tell me how this shining example of a strong, female leader has made your life or the lives of any working, feminist mom any more difficult.

The issue you have with her may be that you THINK you know who she is, but never bothered to look.  Feminists like you talk about equality, glass ceilings, and the importance of elevating the gender to the same level as men, yet when you finally have an example of a person who embodies everything you actually strive for, you hate them and say they make your lives more difficult.

So now you've said it - I want to hear from your mouth how it is that she has tarnished your ability, degraded the social opinion of women as leaders, and/or made your life any more difficult.  As I see it, she is an absolutely shining example of being great at what you do - regardless of sex.  She has put up with attacks levied against her merely because she is a woman and that fact alone sickens me.  But Sarah uses it as a source of strength (isn't that what feminists are SUPPOSED TO DO???????).

This reminds me of Jerry Reinsdorf, the chairman of the group that owns my beloved White Sox and Bulls.  I've been in his office (my gf works in the White Sox front office).  What struck me as the most interesting thing about Jerry from being in his office isn't his collection of autographed baseballs and bats(which includes baseballs hero's and is a priceless collection).  It isn't the letters from US Presidents or famous celebrities.  What speaks the loudest to me about his character is a small, handwritten note sent to him by an angry, hate filled, bigot and 'former' sox fan who wrote (and I will never forget this):

"You jews are all alike and will ruin this team.  The city of Chicago should round up jews like you and kick you out of town."

Jerry has this framed, dead center, at eye level, amongst his collectables.  He looks at it every day and uses it to remind himself to be humble and never think to much of himself.  People faced with hatred based on religion, gender, or sexual orientation can take this sort of thing and throw it away if they like.  Great people use it to motivate themselves.

When Sarah Palin was first attacked for being a woman trying to do what she felt was right, she could have given up and returned to a happy life as a homemaker, mother, and wife.  Instead, it inspired her to continue to work hard and persevere in the face of conflict that she knew was based on moral and intellectual bankruptcy.

So as a working mom feminist, instead of rallying against her for being a woman who is working in a man's world and has SHATTERED the glass ceiling, you choose instead to politicize your hate for successful, hard working, good intentioned women and pretend that she somehow has made your life more difficult.

So I challenge you to honestly explain it to me, because I simply cannot understand how Sarah Palin's success in the male dominated world of politics has negatively affected you in any way, shape or form.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 10, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
With all the sexist attacks on Palin coming from the left, it shouldn't be a surprise that there is a shift amongst women as well....

Not any women I know.  Where are these purported sexist attacks from Democratic leaders or the Obama campaign?  I think it's time for Republicans to stop playing the victim on gender and allow Ms. Palin to come out for interviews.  Personally, I find it insulting that McCain believes that he couldn't find a more qualified woman under his big tent and that women vote mainly on vaginas and chromosomes.

Ugh, we can talk about another shift, with McCain's choice of Palin (who, btw, I ran across in my 2006 Abramoff research, do she ain't so pure and non-lobbyist-tainted, jsyk.)

I was determined NOT to vote Obama, as 1) I'm from Maine and I figured, heck, my vote doesn't count in such a true-blue state, and 2) Obama is too conservative for me.  Well, now I'm voting Obama, sure as the day is long. And while it might not matter, being from Maine and all, I suspect that I'm not the only one. See, there are enough women my age who actually remember Palin's "type" in high school, college and even the work place, and the world is not all hockey-moms and daisies.  The Palins of the world actually made the day-to-day existence of millions of true working-mom-feminists harder and nastier, and we know it.  So, yeah, some of the DailyKos crowd need to shut their traps on the misogyny train, but for the most part, in the long run, I'm not actually concerned about my demographic.  Two months is a long time, particularly in American culture, for the shine to wear off.  Pslin will remind more and more women voters over time just why we dislike her now, and always have.

So an Obama sticker goes on my car - I wish it were Michelle Obama (as she's definitely the bees knees) but I'll accept her spouse as well.

With all due respect, and in no way am I trying to offend you, but:

Specifically - how do 'the palin's of the world' make the 'day-to-day existence of millions of true working-mom-feminists harder and nastier' exactly?  By existing?  You remember her "type" from high school?  Basketball players?  Attractive girls?  What the hell are you talking about?  Because from where I sit, it sounds like nonsense similar to what I heard on the radio this morning - callers to a comedy based morning show shouting about how Palin wants everyone to apologize to her for insulting her.  Did Palin ask for apologies, or is that just part of the liberal talking points delivered via your local newspaper?

I fail to see how people like Palin make life more difficult for moms, working or otherwise, or feminists.  Her is a strong leader who took on a male dominated political structure and won.  Here is a woman who rose to become the first female governor of the state of alaska - and managed to keep her approval rating above 80% while doing it.  Here is a woman who got involved in her kids PTA, took on a mayor she thought didn't represent the views of her town (and won).  This woman reformed local government and made enough of a name for herself as a leader that she ran was appointed to an essential energy group.  While serving in this position, she was disgusted by the level of corruption and misuse of power.  Did she play along and take advantage of the people?  No.  She quit - then she did what could have been political suicide by blowing the whistle on the corruption after being wholly ignored when she tried to go through the appropriate channels.  Instead of being disgusted by her and ostracizing her, she ran for governor against an entrenched, but dirty politician and won, becoming the first woman to run the state.  As governor, she attacked government waste, pulled the plug on the bridge to nowhere, and fought public corruption - all while winning the overwhelming approval of her constituents (unheard of in modern politics).  No governor holds such a high approval rating in the entire United States of America.

She is a working mom who has always found time for her family.  A woman who put her community and her state first instead of her personal finances and pork.  Please tell me how this shining example of a strong, female leader has made your life or the lives of any working, feminist mom any more difficult.

The issue you have with her may be that you THINK you know who she is, but never bothered to look.  Feminists like you talk about equality, glass ceilings, and the importance of elevating the gender to the same level as men, yet when you finally have an example of a person who embodies everything you actually strive for, you hate them and say they make your lives more difficult.

So now you've said it - I want to hear from your mouth how it is that she has tarnished your ability, degraded the social opinion of women as leaders, and/or made your life any more difficult.  As I see it, she is an absolutely shining example of being great at what you do - regardless of sex.  She has put up with attacks levied against her merely because she is a woman and that fact alone sickens me.  But Sarah uses it as a source of strength (isn't that what feminists are SUPPOSED TO DO???????).

This reminds me of Jerry Reinsdorf, the chairman of the group that owns my beloved White Sox and Bulls.  I've been in his office (my gf works in the White Sox front office).  What struck me as the most interesting thing about Jerry from being in his office isn't his collection of autographed baseballs and bats(which includes baseballs hero's and is a priceless collection).  It isn't the letters from US Presidents or famous celebrities.  What speaks the loudest to me about his character is a small, handwritten note sent to him by an angry, hate filled, bigot and 'former' sox fan who wrote (and I will never forget this):

"You jews are all alike and will ruin this team.  The city of Chicago should round up jews like you and kick you out of town."

Jerry has this framed, dead center, at eye level, amongst his collectables.  He looks at it every day and uses it to remind himself to be humble and never think to much of himself.  People faced with hatred based on religion, gender, or sexual orientation can take this sort of thing and throw it away if they like.  Great people use it to motivate themselves.

When Sarah Palin was first attacked for being a woman trying to do what she felt was right, she could have given up and returned to a happy life as a homemaker, mother, and wife.  Instead, it inspired her to continue to work hard and persevere in the face of conflict that she knew was based on moral and intellectual bankruptcy.

So as a working mom feminist, instead of rallying against her for being a woman who is working in a man's world and has SHATTERED the glass ceiling, you choose instead to politicize your hate for successful, hard working, good intentioned women and pretend that she somehow has made your life more difficult.

So I challenge you to honestly explain it to me, because I simply cannot understand how Sarah Palin's success in the male dominated world of politics has negatively affected you in any way, shape or form.

if is enjoyable to argue with these people...many of them have labeled themselves with the ad-lib "donkee" party...so they won't exactly "get it"...no matter what you present or how you present things...

as an independent it is most fun to watch them squirm again and again and again...

aye love the fact that palin kicked the corrupt gop out of alaska and am enjoying watching this thing play out...

seriously, aye think mccain was once toast...

now...with his new energized campaign and his agent of change and message of reform and end to "Wasteful spending" and the current shift of the feminist vote and also many male independents...

mccain will be the next commander-in-chief...

if you enjoy to argue with the "ad-lib-lost-donkees" and the "left-wingnuts"....by all means continue...

but they simple are lost sheep and don't "get it"..

"off-shore drilling" that is the main issue...obama refuses to acknowlege it...and that will be his undoing...believe me...aye voted for the man twice...aye don't think he will win at this point...plus hiliary and gov. rendell did some real damage in pa...and florida might be out now too...hiliary did damage in ohio too...not to mention the region slightly below the mason dixon line.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »

allow ms. palin come to interviews... :D :D :D :D

how about NONE...nada...nope...no way...

scheduling conflicts...too many small towns that need attention...too many stumps to kick...sorry not enough time.... :)

BESIDES:...during hiliary's campaign she did not do...interviews....and when she did have small ones...they were under HER terms...she tried NOT to take rogue questions from press conferences...and when she did...it was an ambush...

so...thanks but no thanks...as aye see it...there are less than two months to the election...she should just have one or two BIG interviews on BIG national levels...kind of like hiliary...but smarter...wiser...two big interviews...lots of stumping...a debate and that is it.

sorry...no small interviews and NO press conferences...get it out of your head...

these independents are not stupid.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 10, 2008, 09:34:51 AM »

Recent news suggests it's men who support Palin anyway.

ETA:  I'm too lazy to check, but my suspicion is that the male/female split for Palin is probably about the same as the male/female split for republicans in general.  In other words, not news, nothing to see, move on, talk about issues.

how about these issues: the female independent split may increase with these issues on the table...

issues women would be interested in with someone in the white house with real experience as a mother of 5 and a governor... women's legal rights...rights of contract...property rights...voting rights....for protection from domestic violence...sexual harassment and rape...for workplace rights: including maternity leave and equal pay...protection from other forms of discrimination.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 10, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »
...the sarah palin...agent of change....and efficacious personification of change will not end within two months time...obama's phenom only grew...it follows the same pattern.

aye warned you donkees and left wing nuts...

you shouldn't have behaved with "hair trigger" responses...

even democrats like this woman...democrats in pa can't wait for her to come and speak.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
Sarah Palin did not kick the corrupt GOP out of Alaska - she replaced Murkowski, who took a bullet for putting his daughter in his Senate seat, as he didn't trust any of the top Abramoff-corrupted pols - the same pols who endorsed and campaigned for Sarah Palin - to take his seat.  Palin was picked as the choice for governor by default - both Don Young and Ted Stevens were heavily implicated by the Abramoff emails (the same emails Senator McCain refused to release and sent to the LoC with a "do not open until 2066" stamp.)  Palin herself has Abramoff connections - the lobbyist she hired to get all those billions in earmarks for Alaska was hired by Greenberg Traurig at the very same time - to help lobby for those same issues and earmarks.  BP and Todd Palin's "union" financed the Council of Republicans for Environmental Advocacy (CREA), the green-scam group Abramoff used to launder much of his cash, in their attacks on John Kerry, and, well, well, well, John McCain.  Palin isn't on the ticket because she's McCain's pick - she's the choice of Rove.  McCain may have been able to extort the nomination through control of the Abramoff emails, but Rove and Norquist weren't going to let him control the whole show, especially when he started to get all "mavericky", throwing out Lieberman's name as a possible VP choice.  Lieberman might be hated by the Democratic grassroots, but he's still a bit of a ethical goodie-two-shoes, and not Cheneyesque material.  So they forced Palin, who appears all untainted, but is so far from it, it's nauseating. 

The reason Sarah Palin gives feminists a bad name is that she all hat and no cattle - she talks a good talk, but doesn't follow through.  When elected mayor of a town of 6000, she hired an "administrator" to do all the hard work.  And she still left the town in tremendously bad financial shape, to the tune of $20 million.  Few people talk about her failed run for Lt. Governor in 2002, after which she went to work for Ted Steven's corrupt 527, setting up her network of money and influence.  She won the governor's office in a three way race - hardly a rousing mandate.  Her kids have been raised with the help of her parents, all the while she cut funding for TANF child care subsidies.  And that purported "ethics reform"?  She never even put through a complete bill.  All hat, no cattle.  She supports abstinence only, cut funds for unwed mother housing and training, hunts out of season ("What?  Me follow the law?"), uses her position of authority to interfere with personnel practices, possibly illegally.  She paid off a sexual harasser, after deeming his actions, which were found by his office to be actionable, merely a "smear", and lied about the case when questioned by the media.  She's corrupt, incompetent, vindictive and dishonest - which, yes, harms all women who seek to be in similar positions of authority, whether in the public or private sectors.

She's also an anti-intellectual: The daughter of a science teacher, she believes the world is approximately 6000 years old, and Noah forgot to put the dinosaurs on the ark.  She tried to force the banning of public library books.  She went to six colleges in five years, finally graduated (barely) from a journalism program which is not accredited by the largest Journalism professional society, and was a sportscaster before going into politics.  While that may be a perfectly fine academic and work history for an average American, but we're talking about the #2 position, behind a 72 year old three time cancer survivor (who also graduated from the bottom of his class.)  People make a big deal about Obama only getting a 165 on his LSAT, when neither of these two could probably get into Cooley, let alone Harvard.  And if that makes me an intellectual snob, so be it - is it so much to want the people with the immediate access to thermonuclear weapons to have more than a mediocre education and non-curious intellect?