Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Obama will lose in the fall  (Read 82284 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why Obama will lose in the fall
« Reply #320 on: July 27, 2008, 01:45:11 AM »
I hate to admit it, but a meltdown is always possible.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 27, 2008, 01:49:05 AM »

Yeah, I'm not all that convinced Obama is going to win.  I am entirely convinced that it won't be the Latino and Asian-American votes that do him in, though.  Thanks for playing, Vercingetorix.

ETA:

The professor seems to confirm my initial point which was that hispanic voters will play a crucial role in the upcoming election, a point you disagreed with Miss P.

I do not believe the bolded is an accurate characterization of my remarks.  I disagreed with your conclusion that Latino racism would play a crucial role in the upcoming election.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Saxby Clemens II

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 27, 2008, 01:51:45 AM »
I was a little disturbed at the stories suggesting he might pick that Republican woman for VP.

I'm fairly certain he won't, but yikes...
Quote from: Cady
::clutches doll with matching outfit::
Quote from: TheJ
::flippers Sax on ass just for the hell of it::
Quote from: For All Intensive Purposes
i'm not gonna judge, i just think you are a f-ing weirdo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 27, 2008, 01:54:04 AM »

Yeah, I'm not all that convinced Obama is going to win.  I am entirely convinced that it won't be the Latino and Asian-American votes that do him in, though.  Thanks for playing, Vercingetorix.

I mean, I hope he does, but the Repubs are a formidable misinformation-nonsequiter-distract-you-from-the-issues machine.
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 27, 2008, 01:56:16 AM »
And Obama's not all that hard-hitting on the issues, either, so he makes it pretty easy.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 27, 2008, 01:57:41 AM »
I was a little disturbed at the stories suggesting he might pick that Republican woman for VP.

I'm fairly certain he won't, but yikes...

Yes.  Seriously, gag me.  I will not vote for him if he pulls any kind of stunt like this (including both that Agriculture Secretary and Hagel).

Saxby Clemens II

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2008, 02:02:55 AM »
I really wish they'd both just announce something already and stop leaking stories trying to steal each other's thunder.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 27, 2008, 02:16:07 AM »
my decision isn't so much voting for obama as it is voting "not bush: the sequel." other options exist, but as anyone knows only the dems and repubs count in any general election, and anyone else is a distraction the dems and repubs put up with because they take votes from the other guy.

Right.  I'm just not going to vote for the Dems because they're not the Repubs if they insist on blurring the distinction -- which at this point is their main selling point.

Saxby Clemens II

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2008, 02:17:27 AM »
my decision isn't so much voting for obama as it is voting "not bush: the sequel." other options exist, but as anyone knows only the dems and repubs count in any general election, and anyone else is a distraction the dems and repubs put up with because they take votes from the other guy.

Right.  I'm just not going to vote for the Dems because they're not the Repubs if they insist on blurring the distinction -- which at this point is their main selling point.

Seconded. 

They can only expect me to be a good Democrat for so long...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2008, 02:46:17 AM »
And Obama's not all that hard-hitting on the issues, either, so he makes it pretty easy.

This is true, but who is hard hitting on the issues?  Politics is a waste of time.  It's a popularity contest between two equally unsympathetic characters.  I dont vote usually, unless i'm particularly moved AGAINST a candidate like in 2004 against Bush.  This election comes down to not wanting Bush III in office, so I'll vote for whoever is running against him. Hell, I'd vote for Mickey Mouse or Tyrone Biggums over McCain.