Law School Discussion

Why Obama will lose in the fall

Saxby Clemens II

• I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Obama will lose in the fall
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
Arrrr!  Those damn illegals ruining everything!   >:(

(I mean... estimated size of effect, if it exists, considering that actual election laws vary by state?)

They should really stop being illegal ruiners of everything. 

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2008, 08:04:19 PM »
The date of registration is a red herring.  All states require citizenship to vote; it doesn't really matter if you register on the day of the election (which is permissible in a handful of states, including biggies like NH and ME).  If you register at the polling place, you vote on a provisional ballot that only gets counted if your registration is approved (meaning that you are a citizen).  Only one state does not require registration (ND); this is probably a the state most vulnerable to non-citizen voter fraud.

Without delving too much into the voter ID issue, I'd just like to point out that the record in Crawford (the Indiana voter ID case) contained no evidence of any past or present voter-impersonation fraud, and none of the modern-day cases of voter fraud involve non-citizens trying to vote under other people's registrations or without registrations.

Finally, with respect to the census issue, I used the same source (the Census Bureau) because the data were estimates for the same year based on the same model.  You used the 2000 census numbers for Georgia and Virginia, and the 2006 estimates for the other states.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2008, 05:25:25 AM »
republicans like pretend voter fraud problems so can suppress votes.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:31 PM »
nope...no voter fraud...

obama may lose because hiliary clinton stayed in the race too long...doesn't care about the democrat party...and destroyed obama's chances in pa and florida...

and allowed the hero-american veteran...independent john mccain to gather a strong base...especially among independents and reagan democrats...some reagan dems will sit out in pa...some will go with mccain..

that is how.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »

Yes.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »

Yes.

umm...aye called u queen bee?? when was that?  :'(

how silly thou art. ;)

hope this didn't go over your head.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2008, 04:57:34 AM »
putz.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
hiliary...repair damage done in pa...and fl...

tick tock...tick...tock.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2008, 04:02:53 AM »
guess you not notice obama now leading in pennsylvania.

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »
http://www.demos.org/page52.cfm

i don't think i need to outline which party favors this type of registration.  it is also the party that opposes any kind of identification process at the polls.  in fact in many states, like my own state of Wisconsin, all you need do is have someone vouch that you are eligible to vote.

http://www.tcf.org/list.asp?type=TN&pubid=1084

as i said, thank God states are wising up and changing laws to make photo ID's a requirement.

oh and the arch-conservative Stevens wrote for the majority.  as i alluded to above, conservatives claim that not having an ID requirement encourages fraud while liberals claim that forcing poor people to get ID's somehow disenfranchises them. it seems the court feels that a rotten election tainted by thousands of ineligible voters casting ballots is more corrosive to the democratic process than one where a few eligible voters might get turned away.obtaining an ID is simply not a difficult process. nor does it discriminate against protected classes of people.it just discriminates against people who shouldn't be voting like illegal immigrants.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/04/28/ST2008042802615.html

Actually, getting an ID CAN be hard to get, simply because you or your parents were disorganized, or for instance, moved many times, and didn't save your birth certificate. If you don't have your birth certificate and your social security card, getting photo id is next to impossible. And try getting one of those (Social security or birth cert)without the others. They each require one or more of the other in many places. It's like the ID trifecta. Being able to vote by affidavit can be empowering for this group of people.