Law School Discussion

Why Obama will lose in the fall

Saxby Clemens II

• I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Obama will lose in the fall
« Reply #840 on: September 22, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
I thanked vercingetorix a few days back for not being as big a female private part as some others who will remain nameless, but I think telling someone to "get a life" because they post on a message board you are likewise posting on is rude and stupid. 

ION, I really love this article:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1843168,00.html?cnn=yes

Freedom toast, indeed!

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
I thanked vercingetorix a few days back for not being as big a female private part as some others who will remain nameless, but I think telling someone to "get a life" because they post on a message board you are likewise posting on is rude and stupid. 

ION, I really love this article:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1843168,00.html?cnn=yes

Freedom toast, indeed!

sax, go ahead and name the a-hole if you want!  glad he hasnt been around lately, myself.

maybe my wish came true and he spontaneously combusted.

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 22, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
Can't we all just try and find some common ground like argeeing that we don't like asians and latinos?

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:14 AM »
Can't we all just try and find some common ground like argeeing that we don't like asians and latinos?

I would, but that would mean badmouthing my relatives.

Like who does not badmouth thier relatives?

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: September 22, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »

Yeah, but don't you think it's even a little screwed up to badmouth relatives because of race? There are plenty of other reasons to bag on relatives.

No, I'm adopted, so I can badmouth my reltivies race with impunity.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: September 22, 2008, 10:51:30 AM »

Yeah, but don't you think it's even a little screwed up to badmouth relatives because of race? There are plenty of other reasons to bag on relatives.

you cant buy irony that good

Matthies

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: September 22, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »

No, I'm adopted, so I can badmouth my reltivies race with impunity.

But aren't your relatives all white?

Most of them, but I'm not stingy with my irrational hate, I have enough for every race, creed and color I'm an equal operunity hater

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:34 PM »
Okay but to what degree is this a new development and to what degree are such things already built into the polls?

It is a fairly new development, one that has led to McCain's recent surge.  It also points to an effective technique at the Republicans' disposal that could be applied closer to the election, targeting different groups of people.

You think it's new?  I think Obama has had people whispering quietly about him for quite some time.  Certainly during the primaries.

Yes, but I'm not just talking about the whisper campaigns, but about the overt lies in ads and speeches, some of which are about Obama and some of which are about McCain's and Palin's own records (e.g., "Obama will increase your taxes," "Palin fights earmarks," etc.).  Clinton, to her credit, didn't go this far.

ETA: I also agree with Rich's conclusion that we should concern ourselves not only with the effects of McCain-Palin's mendacity on the election but also with what it says about how they would govern.

what? ? ?

clinton claimed to have ducked enemy fire in bosnia...A HUGE LIE...in parcel, this cost her the nomination...she did  what many notorious pathological liars do...she got caught in a big fat lie...and she exposed herself as the liar she is..

she was seen easily strolling down the tarmac in bosnia...no enemy fire...what a lie!.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: September 22, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
oh here's one of those silly independent groups who also think john mccain is an independent in republican disguise..

.how un-republican of mccain, recently to give pres. bush a tongue lashing...

...it is so rare for mccain to do anything outside the republican playbook...he never joins in with bi-partisan legislation...and this business of suggesting that he would appoint democrat ny attorney general andrew cuomo...

is that republican??? or independent???
  ;)

N.Y. GOP loves Independence Party's nod to John McCain
Sunday, September 21st 2008, 9:10 PM

The state Independence Party's endorsement of Republican John McCain has very little to do with the race for the White House.

It's really a move to help Senate Republicans retain their majority, and not even an eleventh-hour plea from Barack Obama's campaign could prevent New York's largest third party from casting its lot with McCain on Saturday.

Independence Party Chairman Frank MacKay, who once hoped to run Mayor Bloomberg for President on his ballot line, confirmed he got an entreaty from Obama's camp Friday but never spoke to the candidate.

"I respect [Obama] very much, but for the first time in my lifetime, we have the opportunity to elect an independent and reformer to the White House, and that's John McCain," MacKay said.

Oddly, while Obama's campaign might have tried to change his mind, MacKay said he never heard "one word" from a key state Democrat, Senate Minority Leader Malcolm Smith, regarding the Independence Party's presidential endorsement plans.

MacKay is gambling big time on McCain, who is widely expected to lose in Democrat-dominated New York despite a recent poll that showed him trailing Obama here by just 5 percentage points among likely voters. MacKay didn't deny that providing McCain with a third ballot line in New York was really designed to help the endangered Senate Republicans, who are just two seats away from losing the majority.

The Independence Party has long been allied with the Senate GOP and bent over backward this year to endorse Republican incumbents and candidates in key races, even changing its own rules to do so.

The hope is that disaffected Republicans and independents willing to pull the lever for McCain on Row C in November will continue down the line and support GOP Senate candidates there, too. In close races, the votes on third-party lines could prove crucial in the battle for control of the Senate.

Doug Forand, a consultant for Senate Democrats, said the power of the Independence Party's coattails is "seriously overestimated."

In 2006, for example, the party endorsed both Democratic gubernatorial candidate Eliot Spitzer and then-GOP Sen. Nick Spano in Westchester. Spitzer won handily, but Spano lost to Democrat Andrea Stewart-Cousins.

"Voters didn't go into the booth and vote down the C line," Forand said. "They went in and made decisions based on individual candidates."

Joe Bruno has said he will help his former Senate colleagues in their fight to maintain the majority this year, but so far he's keeping a low profile.

That's fine with some Republicans, who say no news is good news when it comes to the ex-majority leader. They anxiously scan the headlines daily for word of the ongoing FBI investigation into Bruno's business interests.

"If something happens with that between now and Election Day, it changes the whole dynamic in the Senate," one highly placed Republican said. "Every day that nothing happens is a good day for the GOP."

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 22, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »
I'm going to try to get a life now.

I've got bar recommendations if you want them.

Oh, what good would bar recommendations be to a friendless, joyless soul such as myself.