Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bi-racial -- the new minority? does AA work for or against us?  (Read 4061 times)

trustno1

• View Profile
I've tried viewing affirmative action from both sides of the aisle but it's hard to come to a consensus, especially when race does play a significant role in our lives. On the one hand, AA is helpful to minorities in that it levels the playing field and gives opportunity where none existed. On the other hand, it undermines the merit system by which students work so hard to gain entry into good schools.

I can't help but think of the Presidential race and the noticeable labeling of Barack Obama as a "black man" when he is clearly of bi-racial ancestry. Has he or anyone of bi-racial descent benefited from AA? The reason I bring this up is that i'm bi-racial (half caucasian, half japanese) and I frequently wonder if AA could help me academically if I needed it? I'd hate to think I would need to resort to AA to gain entry into any school but I've found that my identity has at times hindered my ability to achieve the things I want to achieve. When people look at me there's slight confusion as to what I am -- am I white? am I Asian? no, i'm both but I don't fit the stereotypical mold of what a bi-racial asian/caucasian individual is supposed to look like. my eyes are almond shaped, I have curly hair and I don't look remotely Japanese. So I guess my answer to anyone who questions my bi-racial identity would be that unless you've had to fill out the "other" box on a job application or have had racial epithets hurled at you then you have no right to claim what my ethnicity is.

Enough of my little diatribe...back to the point of my post. Do you think bi-racial individuals should benefit from AA or are we to be treated as non-minorities? When filling out an application of any kind is it wrong to claim you're something other than caucasian....or black.....or asian if your other half is a stark contrast? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: bi-racial -- the new minority? does AA work for or against us?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »
AA isn't going to do much for a Japanese/Caucasian.  You're not an "underrepresented" minority.  As far as being biracial in general, a half-white/half-URM would probably be seen much like Obama--as the URM.  Of course, I'm just guessing.

TimMitchell

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
I disagree with AA completely.

If AA is in effect, I would say that bi-racial people would qualify. In your particular case, Japanese is usually not considered URM.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »

If AA is in effect, I would say that bi-racial people would qualify. In your particular case, Japanese is usually not considered URM.

AA has good arguments in favor of it, as well as against it.  I think it's a noble idea gone wrong.  Basing AA on socio-economic background rather than race would be a step in the right direction.  AA was never intended to assist Carlton Banks or the Huxtable kids.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
AA isn't going to do much for a Japanese/Caucasian.  You're not an "underrepresented" minority.  As far as being biracial in general, a half-white/half-URM would probably be seen much like Obama--as the URM.  Of course, I'm just guessing.

titcr.  A decent percentage of the black people at my school are bi-racial.  If you support the diversity argument for AA, then biracial people are arguably even more diverse.  If you follow the more cynical "quoto" argument, as long as they check black (or other URM) in addition to white (or an ORM), they can be considered black for statistical purposes.  The more interesting question is how people who check other are treated.  I'm assuming that a school can't change your self-selection (ie you select other but mention that you're half black in your PS, they can't list you as black in their stats).  Does anyone know for sure whether or not they can change that?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »

AA has good arguments in favor of it, as well as against it.  I think it's a noble idea gone wrong.  Basing AA on socio-economic background rather than race would be a step in the right direction.  AA was never intended to assist Carlton Banks or the Huxtable kids.

I disagree that is was ever a good idea, but I do agree the people who started it had good intentions. There was a much stronger arguement for it after segregation, but I don't think there is any instituional racism present today, especially at our Universities.

I come from a poor economic background and I agree a stronger case can be made to assist people who come from background such as these. However, especially at the graduate level, I think decisions should be made purely on accomplishments and merit.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:22:07 AM »

THANK YOU!!! Somebody who gets it. That's my view 100%. I also love the Fresh Prince reference.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:42:21 AM »

I disagree that is was ever a good idea, but I do agree the people who started it had good intentions. There was a much stronger arguement (sic) for it after segregation, but I don't think there is any instituional (sic) racism present today, especially at our Universities.

::)  ::)  ::)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 05:39:14 AM »

I disagree that is was ever a good idea, but I do agree the people who started it had good intentions. There was a much stronger arguement (sic) for it after segregation, but I don't think there is any instituional (sic) racism present today, especially at our Universities.

::)  ::)  ::)

All we can do is roll our eyes.  I've given up on actually making a difference.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 06:04:09 AM »

All we can do is roll our eyes.  I've given up on actually making a difference.

Look, Mr. Canadian or whatever you are.  In this country, we can say whatever we want to say.  And I think if we preface whatever we want to say with "I think," then whatever we say is the truth, got it?

>:(
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.