Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois Law Schools  (Read 2042 times)

kman999

• View Profile
Re: Illinois Law Schools
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »
Kidding aside:

U Chi - Still gets the number one bid, even though Hyde Park just does not cut it for me.
NU - Maybe on the rise, and a definite elite school that welcomes all with work experience.

UIUC - Not an elite, but pretty close.  Have to deal with living in Urbana-Champaign for three years though
Loyola - In front of Kent, career services do an excellent job placing students, and just as good alumni network.
Kent - Glad it is not connected with the main campus
DePaul - Still can get into some big time chicago firms with a DePaul degree

John Marshall - Have got to work hard, but the job prospects are there.  Plenty of students who do well in the first year, end up at NU/UC.
NIU - Gets the nod over SIUC simply because of proximity to Chicago.
SIUC - Smoke em if yah got em.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
Kidding aside:

U Chi - Still gets the number one bid, even though Hyde Park just does not cut it for me.
NU - Maybe on the rise, and a definite elite school that welcomes all with work experience.

UIUC - Not an elite, but pretty close.  Have to deal with living in Urbana-Champaign for three years though
Loyola - In front of Kent, career services do an excellent job placing students, and just as good alumni network.

John Marshall - Have got to work hard, but the job prospects are there.  Plenty of students who do well in the first year, end up at NU/UC.

I would not be so quick to throw LUC ahead of Kent. Without needing to note the myraid flaws of USNWR, the Kent is at 66 while LUC is 82. That is far larger gap than in any of the years past.

Air Force JAG Corps

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 11:21:53 PM »
Kidding aside:

I would not be so quick to throw LUC ahead of Kent. Without needing to note the myraid flaws of USNWR, the Kent is at 66 while LUC is 82. That is far larger gap than in any of the years past.

Loyola places more graduates in BigLaw positions than Chicago-Kent. The employment composite for each school shows Loyola sending approximately 10% of their graduates to NLJ 250 firms, while Chicago-Kent sends approximately 5% of its graduates to NLJ 250 firms.

On another note, since Notre Dame is such a feeder into Chicago, should it be considered with Illinois schools?

kman999

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
I would not consider ND, otherwise you have to consider UMICH, Madison, Wash U, Iowa, just does not work for me. 

Granted ND is the closest of all of those, Madison and Iowa are only a couple hours away from the Chicago area.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »
I would not consider ND, otherwise you have to consider UMICH, Madison, Wash U, Iowa, just does not work for me. 

Granted ND is the closest of all of those, Madison and Iowa are only a couple hours away from the Chicago area.

Yeah, but Notre Dame sends more graduates to BigLaw in Chicago than WUSTL, Iowa, UMich or UW Madison. Half of Chicago (intentional exaggeration) is a Notre Dame alumnus. Even the Speaker of the Illinois State House is a Notre Dame Law alumni.

Notre Dame is bonded to Chicago geographically, while UMICH is geographically bonded to Detroit, WUSTL to St. Louis, Iowa to Des Moines (slight chuckle) and UW Madison to Milwaukee, Green Bay and Minneapolis as much as Chicago.