Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone doing Dual MBA JD degrees?  (Read 4743 times)

calimba

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone doing Dual MBA JD degrees?
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
I just talked to a buddy of mine who said if he could do it over again, he would have only done an MBA. It could be because of the industry he landed in. Any thoughts or experience?

TimMitchell

Re: Anyone doing Dual MBA JD degrees?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
Tag

I will be pursing a JD/MBA and am interested in hearing peoples thoughts and experiences.

biggame

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »
I plan on starting my jd/mba this Fall. In my research I have read and heard a lot of pros and cons to the jd/mba.

Kim B Clark, the former Dean of the Harvard Business School, said most people who get the jd/mba end up doing work where an mba is all that is needed.

I also read an article stating why mba's are so needed in law firms.

I have come to the conclusion that it depends on what you want to do. My thinking is that having both can't hurt me. It only allows for more options. Why not just add the extra year now, instead of 10 years down the road deciding to do the MBA and have to spend more time on it?

That's my line of reasoning

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
I agree.. I am doing it because I figure for only one more year of school, I essentially double the job market available for myself. Say I graduate from law school and end up not like being a lawyer (dont think it will happen but anything is possible) then I can go into business and use the MBA for it.

I like that it gives me more flexability in future careers. Also it would let me better understand my clients (since i plan to go into business law), be better positioned to possibly open my own office someday, etc.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »
Tag.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »
one more year for an additional degree.  probably worth the extra time

kasa530

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »
tag

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 02:39:56 AM »
I'm also considering this two things I have noted:

My cousin who got a JD/MBA from UCLA (also accepted to NYU) said that the MBA was not needed, and that I should just get the JD. When I met with my pre-law advisor he brought in a corporate attorney that day, and he told me the MBA wasn't necessary either. It seems like such a win win, but the only two people I know say it isn't worth it/necessary.

Hope this helps

none

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »
You need to consider what school you're talking about.  An MBA from anything less than a Top 20 is almost worthless.  I thought about a JD/MBA, but decided not to do the combined program because my school's MBA program is not even ranked.  I'm at a T-20 law school, and I'll likely be starting at a T-5 MBA program right after I graduate from law school.  I know it's  a lot of school, but an MBA at anything less than a T-20 is a waste.

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
You need to consider what school you're talking about.  An MBA from anything less than a Top 20 is almost worthless.  I thought about a JD/MBA, but decided not to do the combined program because my school's MBA program is not even ranked.  I'm at a T-20 law school, and I'll likely be starting at a T-5 MBA program right after I graduate from law school.  I know it's  a lot of school, but an MBA at anything less than a T-20 is a waste.

So...if my LS's MBA is ranked 21 its alomost worthless, but if it moves to 20 its full of worth? whose doing the "rankings" anyway?