Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Liberty, Regent or Ave Maria  (Read 8889 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Liberty, Regent or Ave Maria
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2008, 02:01:37 AM »
Ave Maria is falling apart. Regardless of the move, this school has been on the downswing for the past few years (though I would argue that an ardently religious school, regardless of sect, never had much going for it to begin with).

You don't think having a Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia, help create the curriculum is a plus? You don't think having Clarence Thomas give the first year lecture was a plus? The Ave Maria board is comprised of some very, very prestigious people. Ave Maria had a lot going for it.

I don't agree with Ave Maria's politics, but I will not deny the school had a lot going for it.

No it doesn't (and it never did). Just because you can name drop doesn't mean that you don't suck. Big deal. Two very conservative justices stopped by for a little while at a very conservative school. That doesn't make a law school not garbage.

I've heard and read very serious discussions by very serious people in very serious positions that Ave Marie might lose its ABA accreditation as a result of its pending move to Florida. That is far from a good thing.

There is no good reason to go to AM, Liberty, or Regent, but if I had to pick one to not go to, it would be AM.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

doibhilin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2008, 02:22:24 AM »
I would recommend not going to law school. There's a reason the three schools you mention are awful. Law is all about critical thinking, and while that certainly does not exclude religious belief, attempting to combine a legal education with fundamentalist religion simply does not work. Get a degree in theology or divinity if religion is that important to you.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 02:25:37 AM »
I would recommend not going to law school. There's a reason the three schools you mention are awful. Law is all about critical thinking, and while that certainly does not exclude religious belief, attempting to combine a legal education with fundamentalist religion simply does not work. Get a degree in theology or divinity if religion is that important to you.

I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 03:04:08 AM »
Doibhilin hit the nail on the head. Though, I would contend that religious belief, particularly proponents natural religion and the "religious right," is excluded from the stratum of critical thinking.
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

ok first of all, how do you define fundamentalist? you have a strand of fundamentalist Islam which advocates the killing of Jews, Americans and most other westerners, and subjugation of women. Then you have "fundamentalist" Christians who believe abortion is murder and make that view clear in their civic actions. Are you really going to compare the two? To be sure there are clinic bombers but they are not nearly as prevalent as Muslim extremists. This is not meant as an attack on Islam in general, I just want to make it clear that "fundamentalist" needs to be better defined.

Furthermore, why can't a Bible-believing person get a good legal education? do you think they will be unable to separate their idealism from the practicalities of the law? shouldn't the same be said about environmentalists whose views often directly contradict US law? should we call ardent environmentalist "fundamentalists" because they believe so strongly in their cause.

Now personally, I would advise the OP to reconsider for the reasons I expressed in an earlier post, but that does not mean that we should demean the school simply because of its religion.

vmakarov

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »
Is the OP a troll? If you are Evangelical, why would you consider Ave Maria? If you are a conservative Catholic, why would you consider Regent or Liberty?

I am an Evangelical, but from what I understand the Conservative atmosphere at AM is similar to what one might encounter at Regent or Liberty. 

If your numbers are that good and you want to attend a conservative school, why wouldn't you consider George Mason, BYU, Baylor, Pepperdine, etc?

To begin with, 161 is not that great of a score.

Pepperdine is located in California. (Automatic disqualification in my book.) BYU is a possibility, from what I understand the atmosphere at the school is consistent with what I am looking for. However, the median LSAT at BYU is 165, 161 is pretty low when considered in that light. 

The median at GMU is 163. Again, 161 is a bit low.

Baylor is pretty expensive, and with a median LSAT of 160, it's not likely that I'd get a lot of scholarship opportunities.

You see, my other thought was scholarship money. I figure (perhaps wrongly) that Regent, Liberty or Ave Maria might offer me some scholarship money to attend. That is not likely to be the case at GMU or BYU.

vmakarov

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »
bingo.  no evangelical would consider going to a heretical, papist institution.

Incorrect.

vmakarov

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »

::) And one wonders why an Evangelical Conservative would prefer the schools mentioned???

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »
and why is california an autoDQ for you?
"read a book."
Depaul '11

snickersnicker

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - shinjikid@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - klutzonbroadway
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:43 PM »
::) And one wonders why an Evangelical Conservative would prefer the schools mentioned???

God forbid anyone would ever want to go to a school where their beliefs and assumptions about the world would be challenged. I'm very conservative economically and in relation to issues of political correctness and so on (and would consider my general political ideals more conservative than many of my peers), but you won't see me attending LSU or Texas Tech. If anything, you should be seeking out an institution which will require you to think more critically in your work by challenging your ideology, instead of coddling everything because it goes along with their view of the world. Do people not even read 'On Liberty' anymore?
LSAT: 166 (:()
UGPA: 4
LSN