Law School Discussion

Wrong answer in online quiz.

Wrong answer in online quiz.
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »
I was taking an online test and I came across the following questions. I chose an answer then looked up the correct one. It was different than mine, but even after researching their choice I don't see how theirs is right. So I decided to put it out to the group and see.

Heres the question. I want to hear some peoples answer before I say mine and the one from the answer key. Thanks and please don't google it before answering, I want to get some unbiased responses. Thanks.

All of the four door cars that Iíve repaired have always had 8 cylinders, so all four door cars must have 8 cylinder engines.

What is the basis of this authorís argument?

generalization
syllogism
special training
deduction
ambiguity

'preciate it.

-TS

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong answer in online quiz.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:08:13 AM »
I think it's A, but where did you find this?  I've never seen this question type on any real LSAT question.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
Well thanks for the responses. Yeah, I thought it was A to. In fact its blatantly obvious its A. The test answer key thinks is B (syllogism) which is incorrect.

The easy logic is just because every 4 door he has seen has 8 cylinders, doesn't mean every 4 door car in existence has 8 cylinders.

The syllogism of this would be "Every 4 door car has 8 cylinders. Every car I fix has 8 cylinders. Therefore, Every car I've fixed has 4 doors."

A generalization is making a statement about the whole by only observing some of its parts. i,e, saying that ALL 4 doors have 8 cylinders just because on the portion you've fixed that was always the case.

This is really ridiculously simple, I don't know why the answer is wrong. Its the same as saying every rectangle I've ever drawn is a square (all sides equal length), so therefore every rectangle is a square. Obviously not true.

I'm going to stick with books from now on and avoid online quizzes.

non parata est

• buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »
Where was this from?

TimMitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
I'm thinking A as well. I could see how D would be right, although the answer didn't deduce correctly

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:54:42 AM »
I'm thinking A as well. I could see how D would be right, although the answer didn't deduce correctly

I agree with you Tim. It asks what basis the author used. His statement is false, so he obviously didn't use any of the devices correctly. So he deduced (through hasty generalization) his conclusion. Horrible question all around.

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:01:05 PM »
Also, I've never seen a question similar to this on actual LSAT questions. Just shows you should only use authentic LSAT questions.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:57:20 PM »
I feel dumber for having read this thread.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
Also, I've never seen a question similar to this on actual LSAT questions. Just shows you should only use authentic LSAT questions.

Quoted for truth