Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TestMasters v. Powerscore v. Kaplan  (Read 4282 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
TestMasters v. Powerscore v. Kaplan
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »
I originally signed up for Kaplan but it keeps getting negative press on these boards so I'm looking at going to a TM or PS class. Here is the issue though: neither of them are available in my city and I'd have an hour drive to get to either. Are the additional instructional materials and hours worth it? Is there anybody there that will tell me Kaplan is worth it? I can tell you right now I'm leaning towards PS b/c I already have the LGB and the course is just plain cheeper.  ;D Let me know what you think.

mtbrider59

• View Profile
Re: TestMasters v. Powerscore v. Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »
I found the TM weekend class to be a good value. Its relatively cheap, gives you the information you need and only takes 2 days, then its up to you to put in the time taking practice exams(and I might add you can't do enough of this, especially take practice exams under timed conditions.

Em Woods

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:35:29 PM »
 I feel like I'm the only person on this board who will say they liked Kaplan. But, I did. Yes it was 1300 for summer prep classes but it raised my score 16 points and I def think that paying a grande or so for that is worth it considering how much 4 years of tuition will set you back. I'd just like to put that out there for anyone else asking aobut Kaplan, it's not some horrible money pit (at least my local one wasn't).
"Anything easy ain't worth a damn" - Coach Woody Hayes

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
I found the TM weekend class to be a good value. Its relatively cheap, gives you the information you need and only takes 2 days, then its up to you to put in the time taking practice exams(and I might add you can't do enough of this, especially take practice exams under timed conditions.

Ok, so does the weekend class package involve a lot of practice tests or would I have to purchase those separately? if they are offered, when would I get them? It seems that a weekend course is pretty useless if it gives you the info the weekend before the LSAT and you only have a week to digest, practice, and use the large amounts of info you receive.  But then i could be wrong.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:39:38 PM »
I feel like I'm the only person on this board who will say they liked Kaplan. But, I did. Yes it was 1300 for summer prep classes but it raised my score 16 points and I def think that paying a grande or so for that is worth it considering how much 4 years of tuition will set you back. I'd just like to put that out there for anyone else asking aobut Kaplan, it's not some horrible money pit (at least my local one wasn't).

If you don't mind me asking, to what did you raise your score? Have you taken an official one yet? I have to wonder if the overall negative reports are a little exagerated. if you don't want to tell me on the board you can always PM me.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »
Ok, so I ended up going to a Kaplan preview thing and i was really impressed by the instructor. However, he said they inter-spliced real questions with made up ones. His argument was that these master brains at Kaplan are so familiar with the test they have the ability to make up their own questions. Is there any validity to this argument? Is it true that Testmasters and Powerscore use ONLY real LSATs? 

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »
Powerscore and TestMasters use only real LSAT questions.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
he said they inter-spliced real questions with made up ones. His argument was that these master brains at Kaplan are so familiar with the test they have the ability to make up their own questions.

lol

Peacock

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:04 AM »
And they say kaplan has trolls on this board. Could this perhaps come from a TM/PS person?

I teach for Kaplan and I'm proud to admit it. We don't intersperse our own problems in the lesson plans. I have taught the full classroom class for a while now and I've seen one made up problem in an exercise that was created to incorporate all of the variations on IF/THEN rules. No instructor would ever say otherwise, unless they were mentally deficient.

As for TM v PS v Kaplan, I'd say stick with what you've already paid for. I have seen all three programs, each has its merits (except TPR... muahahahahhaaa) but Kaplan has the best online stuff, test explanations for every question and the Higher Score Guarantee. My question to you is have you been using the Pacing/Endurance/Mastery books? How much work have you put into the class?

Future 1-L (entering fall of '08)
Kaplan Instructor
3.2/171 (retaking in June '08)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
As for TM v PS v Kaplan, I'd say stick with what you've already paid for. I have seen all three programs, each has its merits (except TPR... muahahahahhaaa) but Kaplan has the best online stuff, test explanations for every question and the Higher Score Guarantee. My question to you is have you been using the Pacing/Endurance/Mastery books? How much work have you put into the class?

I'll try to ignore your cheap shot at TPR (although I don't believe I've ever taken one at Kaplan...tsk tsk)

Couple questions, however, that I'd like to hear from a real instructor. 

What makes their online stuff "the best"?
What do you like about their test explanations?
What does the score guarantee entail?
Does Kaplan rearrange the order of questions in their games?
Does Kaplan require their instructors to take the real LSAT?
Does Kaplan train instructors of different subjects together?