Law School Discussion

So...Suggestions on Cycle 2?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: So...Suggestions on Cycle 2?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 08:24:36 AM »
Quote from: heartbreaker on Today at 09:35:46 AM
I think I'll read a couple on Deloggio and do a really generic one.

Don't mistake straightforward for generic, though. IMO, it's not the subject that's the problem with the PS you posted, it's the style of writing. It's just too much. You can write much more captivating prose with simple, honest, non-melodramatic writing.

Touche

Not at all; writing in direct, simple prose really stands out nowadays. I do a lot of peer editing, and perhaps it's a sign of the kind of schlocky, overwrought literature that's being put out these days, but very few people know how to just let a story speak for itself anymore. It will really make your PS stand out if you find a good story about your life and just tell it, no bells and whistles.

You dont need to convince me, I realized the flaws inherent in my PS months ago.  That said, I dont think that I wrote something incoherent or bereft of well...a point.  To be flat out rejected by what were initially safety schools took something else...and I honestly dont know whats wrong about me as an applicant that offended the admissions offices so much.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 08:27:57 AM »
Some people below the medians, and below the 75% HAVE TO BE cut or else it wouldn't be a median.  It's probably not that your PS sucked, just that everyone else's was better.

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
This is one of those situations where the "it's all about your numbers" theory takes a beating.

Since you have only posted your PS, we are all focused on that. I really find this PS to be atrocious (sorry, meant with love) but it is the only one I have ever read, so I have no basis for comparison. More to the point, is it bad enough to keep you out of a school where your numbers are over their 75%? I certainly wouldn't think so.

Do you think it would be worth contacting the admissions offices from the schools that rejected you, explaining that you are reapplying and asking why they rejected you? Maybe there is something else that needs to be addressed.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »
This is one of those situations where the "it's all about your numbers" theory takes a beating.

Since you have only posted your PS, we are all focused on that. I really find this PS to be atrocious (sorry, meant with love) but it is the only one I have ever read, so I have no basis for comparison. More to the point, is it bad enough to keep you out of a school where your numbers are over their 75%? I certainly wouldn't think so.

Do you think it would be worth contacting the admissions offices from the schools that rejected you, explaining that you are reapplying and asking why they rejected you? Maybe there is something else that needs to be addressed.

No worries man, I'm starting to really hate it too.  Im starting to think it really is where I work.  I can be objective towards my own faults, and I really dont think I let them shine through, so to speak.

I really just want to work out of my house and write up peoples divorces anyways.

So, basically, you're considering investing three years of your life + $$$ so that you can be useless to society? Sounds like a good plan.

“The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've had a lot of divorces in my family, a good divorce attorney may be useless to society, but when your about to have your pre-nup snapped in half...

At least I have no bright eyed vision about saving the world or "society", all I want is an education to practice a trade which I may do well at, and perhaps make a bit of money at.