Law School Discussion

So...Suggestions on Cycle 2?

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
Re: So...Suggestions on Cycle 2?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »
I'm curious to hear what mistakes you thought you made last year. I can look at your LSN account (and have) but I want to hear it from you...

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 06:24:41 PM »
Retaking LSAT? Just a couple of points might make a world of difference.

I agree.  It can make a world of a difference.

No doubt.  Only problem is I dont see what school mattering unless I got a 169 or so.  Below  t30 go regional, good rule of thumb right?

Not only will it help you get into schools but it can also equate into getting much more money.  I went from getting into a lower-ranked T2 with no money with a 154 to getting into T25 schools and T2 schools with a nice chunk of change. 

TimMitchell

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 08:30:52 PM »
Like most people have said, if you are considering deferring you might as well sign up for the October LSAT. How much did you study for the first one? With the score you have even a moderate improvement will increase you chances greatly.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 06:21:10 AM »
I'm curious to hear what mistakes you thought you made last year. I can look at your LSN account (and have) but I want to hear it from you...

Mistake 1:

I'm a decent writer, but I definitely made my PS to flowery, and like I said above, directed it at how my love of (and initial ambition towards teaching) classics helped me grow towards ambition and virtue tieing in at the end how law would be an obvious step in the right direction. 

Mistake 2:

My resume.  Firstly, I work at a company that is for all intents and purposes an internet scam, and as I've worked here over the admissions cycle, I can see that we've exhibited predatory behavior towards several admissions employees.  Secondly, I put a lot of menial jobs down that I held during college to show that I've always worked 30 or more hours a week, even through school.  A more concise and vague resume would have helped.

Mistake 3:

No diversity statement.   I grew up in a blue collar family, in a 100% white town, got B+ grades through highschool, didnt engage in any sordid behavior, wrestled for the highschool team...."all american" youth right?  Well I thought I'd look like an idiot next to some Sudanese refugees diversity statement (my struggles began when the janjuweed militias began interdiction operations outside my village, and my father took up his weapon to fight them...), and frankly that I would insult the ideals of diversity in higher education.  So I elected not to submit one.

Also, my post collegiate work experience has been filled with manual labor (very little professional work experience via the "experience required for entry level job" catch 22)

My recommendations are solid, coming from both a Harvard and an NYU Ph.D., and what I lacked in extracurriculars, I made up for by work.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
Retake the LSAT dude. Nothing else even matters. As long as your PS is coherent, they don't really care. They read a billion of those things and the chances that yours will stand out in a good way is pretty slim.

TimMitchell

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
Retake the LSAT dude. Nothing else even matters. As long as your PS is coherent, they don't really care. They read a billion of those things and the chances that yours will stand out in a good way is pretty slim.

Very true. Whens the last time you saw someone on LSN getting into schools out of their range that wasen't an URM? If you look at the charts than you'll see for most schools its purely a numbers game

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »
Great idea on a new PS. I must say I am not a fan of the one you posted. What are your thoughts on the new one?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 06:07:21 AM »

Very true. Whens the last time you saw someone on LSN getting into schools out of their range that wasen't an URM? If you look at the charts than you'll see for most schools its purely a numbers game

I gotta say, I didnt go for many reach schools this time around.  If it were a numbers game I'd be matriculating at suffolk this year.  I now strongly believe its not.

Great idea on a new PS. I must say I am not a fan of the one you posted. What are your thoughts on the new one?

I kinda hate my existence, but I dont think that would make for stimulating reading.  I think I'll read a couple on Deloggio and do a really generic one.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 07:36:57 AM »
I think I'll read a couple on Deloggio and do a really generic one.

Don't mistake straightforward for generic, though. IMO, it's not the subject that's the problem with the PS you posted, it's the style of writing. It's just too much. You can write much more captivating prose with simple, honest, non-melodramatic writing.

Touche

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »

He was in over the 75% for the LSAT for many of the school's he applied to.