Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on best way to spin summer experiences  (Read 712 times)

blahblahLAW

• View Profile
    • Email
Advice on best way to spin summer experiences
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »
Hi! I'm a rising 2L and I'm doing two law-related things this summer.  My main, full-time job is clerking at a legal aid clinic, and my other part-time job is doing research for a local attorney.

As it turns out, both of my jobs are heavily real estate-based --- I'm working on a lot of sub-prime mortgage foreclosure cases at the clinic and doing condo law research for the private attorney.

That said, I don't think I want to practice real estate law; my two experiences just happened to focus on it.  Is that going to look strange on my resume?  Will employers assume that I sought out real estate experience, and, if so, how can I make sure they don't make that assumption?

Any advice will be appreciated!  Thanks!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on best way to spin summer experiences
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
I'd say in your cover letters to a specific employer, focus on why they should hire you and what it is about what you want to do and what that specific employer does that makes you a good fit. 

Then, on your resume, try to focus on the general skills that you used this summer, and then list any significant accomplishments (and I wouldn't shy away from being specific here, even if it was RE related).  Focusing on the general skills (or phrasing things in a way attractive to a specific employer) is something you could do differently for every job app you send out - it's simply tailoring your resume.