Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will the LSAC actually raise my GPA?  (Read 771 times)

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Will the LSAC actually raise my GPA?
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »
As of now, I have a 3.76 (I'm finishing my junior year).  At my school, an A- is a 3.6.

I've heard that the LSAC counts an A- as 3.65.  Is this true?

VirusNY

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red
    • View Profile
Re: Will the LSAC actually raise my GPA?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:02:02 PM »
A- = 3.66

Also, A+ = 4.33. My school counted A+ as 4.0, so when LSAC redid my GPA it boosted it by .06.
Cornell Law 2011

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »
A- = 3.66

Also, A+ = 4.33. My school counted A+ as 4.0, so when LSAC redid my GPA it boosted it by .06.

My school doesn't have A+'s...A is the highest grade.  This doesn't seem fair, considering the fact that I have often scored 98+% in classes, and they've only counted as A's.  How will this affect me?

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
A- = 3.66

My school doesn't have A+'s...A is the highest grade.  This doesn't seem fair, considering the fact that I have often scored 98+% in classes, and they've only counted as A's.  How will this affect me?

It won't be compensated for; your grade is your grade. My school didn't have A+'s either for my major.

PABitz

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:30 PM »
A- = 3.66

My school has A+'s and I still managed to have a class where I got every point possible and wound up with an A. The A+ adjustment only matters significantly in a few cases. Most schools that offer them only award them sparingly. It isn't as if all A's become A+'s, all A-'s become A's and so on like some folks like to whine about. The A+'s on my transcript raised my LSAC GPA by .03, hardly a significant amount.

All of this is to say that the fact that your school doesn't award A+'s is not going to affect you much. Hell, neither H nor Y offer A+'s and their grads seem to do just fine in the admissions process. Your GPA will put you in the range for pretty much every school (It'll be a little low for HYS and B, but even those are still possibilities.) as long as your LSAT is high enough.
Attending: Y

In: Y, CCN, VDG, UCLA
Out:
WL: H, M

LSAT: 172
UGPA: 3.87
Soft Factors / Essays: Um... apparently better than I originally thought