Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP!!!! Good schools vs Free school  (Read 6354 times)

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!! Good schools vs Free school
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »
i admit that my post is a shameless USC troll

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904889529

What's interesting is that when you compare this chart to the other chart compiled by Henderson and Morriss.  The two charts use different data years -- Henderson and Morriss using the 2005 hiring data and this one is 2007.  For all of the main schools, however, their precentages are up in 2007 when compared to 2005 -- USC included, of course.  I think part of that might be the economy -- it will be interesting to see what happens in next year's data.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
scholarship requirements are 2.6 and if i cant maintain this then i probably dont belong in law school and realizing this on a free ride might be the best move    ;)

You need to find out what 2.6 means on the forced curve.  For instance, my scholarship required I am in the top 25%, so that's not too onerous.  Especially since after the first semester I was in the top 10%.  So from here on in, as long as I don't botch anything, I'm set.

Without knowing where 2.6 is on the curve, you don't necessarily know what the risks are.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 01:27:16 AM »
scholarship requirements are 2.6 and if i cant maintain this then i probably dont belong in law school and realizing this on a free ride might be the best move    ;)

You need to find out what 2.6 means on the forced curve.  For instance, my scholarship required I am in the top 25%, so that's not too onerous.  Especially since after the first semester I was in the top 10%.  So from here on in, as long as I don't botch anything, I'm set.

Without knowing where 2.6 is on the curve, you don't necessarily know what the risks are.

TITCR. Some law schools have curves that force a median in the mid to high 2s. If you're like most law school bound folks, a C was probably a rarity if it existed at all in UG. Law school, however, is a whole new beast.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
after narrowing down my choices to these 3 i have come to realize i am extremely adverse to the thought of being 100k+ in debt so yes i am leaning HEAVILY towards loyola - obviously i never been to law school but i feel if it clicks for me (big if) i can tear it up and finish top 10% no matter where i go so i will have the same opportunities from this T2 school as i would if i made the cut at the T1 schools

from what i found out hastings does nearly as well as usc in placing its students in big law - the only benefit usc has i think is that its campus is probably 2nd to none

See above re forced curve. And re being sure you'll be in the top 10%, I only have this to add: it's your funeral.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
And another fun point on the curve, I don't know about any of your particular schools, but some schools will lump together most of the people receiving scholarships into a section so that a good number are essentially guaranteed to lose their scholarships.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
I got a Loyola Law scholarship, too.  They said in the letter that a 2.6 was roughly the top 2/3rds.  Keeping the scholarship seems reasonable.

And yes, if you finish top 10% you'll be fine and dandy just about anywhere.  And if you finish top 2% you'll be even better....

...OR if you finish #1 in your class, maybe you could transfer into Harvard!  Or Yale!

Be safe, OP.  Assume median.  Know what kind of job median will get you from Loyola before going there.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
assume median???

with the exception of t14 schools the median will make it difficult to land a job

maybe i will be best suited to presume i will flunk out wherever i go

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »
assume median???

with the exception of t14 schools the median will get u nowhere

maybe i will be best suited to  presume i will just flunk out wherever i go

You're a f-ing idiot.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »
assume median???

The point of assuming median is that if you have less than 50% of having a result you like coming out of law school, you probably shouldn't go. Given your attitude I don't think you should be going to law school. This is not to insult schools of any rank, but I would hope that people going to any school are happy with their realistic job prospects. A lot of people would be happy with working at a smaller firm or a government job that is not as competitive as some, and they should feel free to attend lower ranked schools. If you can't decide that for yourself you are setting yourself up for misery.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 08:06:06 PM »
assume median???

You're a f-ing idiot.

cheerfully cosigned!
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.