Law School Discussion

Poll

What political party do you belong to?

Democrat
Republican
Communist
Socalist
Independant/Other

What political party do most law students belong to?

Re: What political party do most law students belong to?
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
This is all masturbation and rationalization.

Can't we just agree that both Saddam and Bush are responsible for atrocities committed under wars of their making?  It seems simple and elegant to me.

:)

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »
This is all masturbation and rationalization.

Can't we just agree that both Saddam and Bush are responsible for atrocities committed under wars of their making?  It seems simple and elegant to me.

:)

Piggy, kind of what I am getting at.

« Reply #142 on: May 29, 2008, 06:14:56 PM »

I strongly believe in short and blunt statements.  I'm a restater.  A short and blunt restater.

Remedialone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »

I strongly believe in short and blunt statements.  I'm a restater.  A short and blunt restater.

Some statements simply Raw Power and you can eventually get through to even the Stooges.

TimMitchell

« Reply #144 on: May 29, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »

Your going to be a terribily unconvential lawyer

I stand corrected... now since we are such a humanitarian nation why do we allow prisoners to be shipped overseas for torture?  Why do we bomb media outlets?  Are these just actions?

I don't know what you are referring to when you say we are bombing media outlets. About Guantanamo, if we are sending prisoners overseas for torture than it is wrong. Any form of torture is wrong. However, many people contend that their is no torture happening in Cuba. I believe that prinsoners are war are being treated far better in this war than in any other war in history.

I will say having debates like this is making me really looking forward to law school. Most of the debates I have online or at school eventually boils down to "YOUR A RETARD!!!1!"

« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »

My can hide mine arguments between unnecessary words when my want to.

"YOUR A RETARD!!!1!"

I agree.

Remedialone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »

I stand corrected... now since we are such a humanitarian nation why do we allow prisoners to be shipped overseas for torture?  Why do we bomb media outlets?  Are these just actions?

I don't know what you are referring to when you say we are bombing media outlets. About Guantanamo, if we are sending prisoners overseas for torture than it is wrong. Any form of torture is wrong. However, many people contend that their is no torture happening in Cuba. I believe that prinsoners are war are being treated far better in this war than in any other war in history.

I will say having debates like this is making me really looking forward to law school. Most of the debates I have online or at school eventually boils down to "YOUR A RETARD!!!1!"

I think ultimately all debates will devolve into that even in law school.

Al Jazeera was bombed by coalition forces in Kabul, that could be chocked up to friendly fire if it wasn't for a top secret memo that got leaked that we were planning on bombing AlJazeera in Qatar.  Kind of suspicious.  I am not talking about Cuba when I am referring to outsourcing torture I am referring to us outsourcing torture to Egypt and a few other countries after Abu Ghraib was made public.  I am sure this is more abuses that despite being done with the knowledge of our government, using government planes to fly them there is merely the act of a few rogue agents.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
Noone is talking about us being a "humanitarian nation". Sure, we make mistakes and we stray.

But equivocating the genocide of ethnic and religious opposition groups and the systematic rape and mutilation of tens or hundreds of thousands of innocent noncombatants to the few instances of waterboarding and sleep deprivation that the US has used here and overseas is not an intellectually or ethically teniable position.

See, American troops killed and tortured many Germans during WWII. We also had Japanese and Italian internment camps. We also used 2 atomic bombs - that doesn't mean that ridding the world of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito wasn't the right thing to do.

Remedialone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
Noone is talking about us being a "humanitarian nation". Sure, we make mistakes and we stray.

But equivocating the genocide of ethnic and religious opposition groups and the systematic rape and mutilation of tens or hundreds of thousands of innocent noncombatants to the few instances of waterboarding and sleep deprivation that the US has used here and overseas is not an intellectually or ethically teniable position.

See, American troops killed and tortured many Germans during WWII. We also had Japanese and Italian internment camps. We also used 2 atomic bombs - that doesn't mean that ridding the world of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito wasn't the right thing to do.

Here is the point, I will type slowly, we don't know the extent that the rape rooms were used in Saddams case, and we don't know how high up that this goes up in our case.  We do bomb media outlets intentionally killing innocent civilians, we do torture not just waterboarding and sleep deprivation, we have seen incidents of it, you claim it is isolated but as soon as we shut down one place (Abu Ghraib) we proceed to ship our prisoners off somewhere else to be tortured.  I am absolutely saying this is not collateral damage in a war it is a human rights violation and the leadership should be held accountable.  You claim Saddam used systematic rape, ethnic cleansing, and chemical weapons.  If that is the case hows come he was sent to death for signing 148 death warrants (mind you 4 less than GW)?

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

Here is the point, I will type slowly, we don't know the extent that the rape rooms were used in Saddams case, and we don't know how high up that this goes up in our case.  We do bomb media outlets intentionally killing innocent civilians, we do torture not just waterboarding and sleep deprivation, we have seen incidents of it, you claim it is isolated but as soon as we shut down one place (Abu Ghraib) we proceed to ship our prisoners off somewhere else to be tortured.  I am absolutely saying this is not collateral damage in a war it is a human rights violation and the leadership should be held accountable.  You claim Saddam used systematic rape, ethnic cleansing, and chemical weapons.  If that is the case hows come he was sent to death for signing 148 death warrants (mind you 4 less than GW)?
He was sent to death for killing those 148 people because that was the first example of the genocide he committed that was tried. That verdict was sufficient to kill him. All other charges were dropped AFTER his death because it was crucial to the stability of the country that the old tyrant's trial would be expeditiously completed without a long media circus opening up old wounds.

For the full list of legitimate charges that he was facing before his death, see following: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3320293.stm

If you don't understand why the planned mass extermination of a civilian population is a much more morally abhorrent act than the botched liberation of that same population, you are incorrigible, utterly devoid of reason, and not worth one more second of my or anyone else's time.