;

Poll

What political party do you belong to?

Democrat
Republican
Communist
Socalist
Independant/Other

Author Topic: What political party do most law students belong to?  (Read 14617 times)

dissident

• View Profile
Re: What political party do most law students belong to?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »
What's the difference in the first four choices?

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »

The guy would have won his term anyways. Apparently you are not familiar with this state called Illinois that has a proud tradition of liberal politics on the national level (Adlai Stevens, Paul Simon, Abraham Lincoln). 

You mean the founder of the Republican party?

By today's standards, Lincoln was far more liberal than conservative.

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
By today's standards, Lincoln was far more liberal than conservative.

The original planks of the Republican party included a curbing of states rights (all newly admitted states would have to be free states) and welfare (they wanted to give people land).  The most anti-business presidency of our history was the Republican president of TR.

TimMitchell

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
It sucks to be rational and unemotional about politics, but it has led to some interesting discussions where I've had to cool down a fuming liberal or two and explain that I don't think less of them or their candidate simply because I disagree with their viewpoint, no matter how angry they are....

I agree with that completely! Usually when you get into an arguement about politics or government it boils down to how one party or a particular person is deliberatly hurting the country some how. Although I don't agree with a lot of politicians and I think that they ARE ultimately hurting the country, I also believe that a life of public service is a sacrifice and those who undertake it sincerely want to help their country. Also, honest and logical political debate can help hone ideas and bring opposing members closer.

Many polticians are graduates from law schools, most top tier, and have done extremely well financially before entering politics. When I hear people saying all politicans are liars and cheats it makes me sad about how people feel about our governement. Most politicians would be much richer and happier if they had not entered politics, but they do so in order to serve their country.

Remedialone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »
Wendell Willkie who I don't think ever held office. 

For clarification Willkie was the election of 1940 when the world was at war but the US was not as of yet.

Remedialone

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
  To say that only the left would nominate such an inexperienced candidate during a time of war I will have to remind you that the conservatives put up Thomas Dewey during WWII who had been a governor for only 6 years and before him Wendell Willkie who I don't think ever held office. 

Just to clarify.  Willkie was the candidate in 1940.  The US wasn't at war yet.  The world was.

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
All I needed to see was the vast number of Obama shirts in class.
The cake was the 'morality' discussions that devolved from our discussions. 
Academia is overwhelmingly liberal.  The few educators that aren't left leaning or flat out hard core liberals have to be careful how they discuss their ideology lest they be ostracized.
My K professor wrote an excellent paper on the contractual nature of invading or occupying forces and in that paper, he advocated a change in the humanitarian laws involved, basically calling them antiquated, absurd, and the cause of many soldiers injuries unnecessarily.
His paper was the #1 most downloaded law article on the subject in the country.

My school offered no congratulations for this major academic feat.  I thanked him and told him that more former servicemen should be heard on the subject.

Here's how it works out:
I was at a BBQ on memorial day and I was speaking to a very liberal woman I know.  She was telling me that the reason no one she knew was going out of town for the holiday was because the media kept saying, over and over again, that gas prices were out of control and that it would keep people from traveling.  In reality, that same vacation costs about $100 more than it did last year, which isn't nearly enough to discourage people.
So I asked her why she was surprised when the media shapes public opinion. 
Just take a look at how the media portrays the war and our President.  From day one, the President was a liar, a theif, and a moron.  The war is violent and has only produced death.  The media ignores the scores of schools that have reopened.  They don't report anything positive and as a direct result, most of the country buys it without a second thought.  I am friends with some active military personnel, and their attitude is that America was never really at war.  Only the military was at war.  America was busy trying to villify Bush and impeach the war effort.
And now, after spending months trying to coronate Clinton as the next President, the media has decided that Obama should be king and push his brilliance and legend. 
Unfortunately, I still believe the maxim holds true - those who can, do and those who can't, teach.  It is far easier to be a professor than hold down a real job and actually perform.  This is much of the draw to education for the left leaning and the hardcore liberals and precisely why so few who associate with the right bother to teach at all.  They are too busy 'doing' to stop and teach.  Nothing is sweeter than sucking at the teat of the educational institutions that have been overrun by left-leaning individuals.
At some of the best law schools, we have hard core hippies from the left teaching kids how and what to think.
One of the leaders of the violent Weather Underground group that is responsible for terrible attacks on innocent people who has NEVER disassociated herself from their criminal activities is now a teacher at Northwestern University School of Law.  Her name is Bernardine Dohrn.  The fact that she is allowed to teach ANYWHERE is a travesty of our justice system.

I'm so glad to see your vitriol extends to politics in addition to religion.  The predominance of liberal or "left" leaning individuals in academia has been the topic of some studies and papers.  Note that your post has little to actually do with politics in academia and instead seems to focus more on your personal biases against the media and non-conservatives. 

Here are some links to the article I mentioned before, for all of those who might be interested in reading it.
http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=s1153nnhjkhr407r6ng6gjg8pvc8g2s8
http://www.aei.org/docLib/20071114_WOESSNER.pdf
(Note: in the interests of full disclosure, I have not read the actual study, although I intend to now that I found the link.)

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »
All I needed to see was the vast number of Obama shirts in class.

I'm so glad to see your vitriol extends to politics in addition to religion.  The predominance of liberal or "left" leaning individuals in academia has been the topic of some studies and papers.  Note that your post has little to actually do with politics in academia and instead seems to focus more on your personal biases against the media and non-conservatives. 

Here are some links to the article I mentioned before, for all of those who might be interested in reading it.
http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=s1153nnhjkhr407r6ng6gjg8pvc8g2s8
http://www.aei.org/docLib/20071114_WOESSNER.pdf
(Note: in the interests of full disclosure, I have not read the actual study, although I intend to now that I found the link.)

The thread invites opinions.  Even stupid ones, where people post articles that they have not read.  LS politics requires an experiential understanding - not an empirical study of why "conservatives" are not in academia.

(note: I am not a conservative.  I am an "issues man," and if a label is needed, call me a libertarian.)

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
One of the leaders of the violent Weather Underground group that is responsible for terrible attacks on innocent people who has NEVER disassociated herself from their criminal activities is now a teacher at Northwestern University School of Law.  Her name is Bernardine Dohrn.  The fact that she is allowed to teach ANYWHERE is a travesty of our justice system.

There were no innocent victims of the Weatherman organization. All of their bombings were announced in advance. The only deaths that resulted from their bombings were 3 of their own during the bomb-making process.

This just exposes part of the difficulty of arguing with right-wingers (especially the 27 percent that are still in the tank for Bush). If reality or historical fact does not mesh with their daily talking points they ignore it. A recent great example of this ahistorical "thinking" was the recent scuffle over Obama's "appeasement" and how he's supposedly another Chamberlain. Enjoy this takedown of another winger by Chris Matthews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHleE7dfp28
Ah yes, another apologist who thinks there are no victims...
Because the only way to define the word "victim" is if someone dies, right?
They blew up a statue dedicated to police casualties in the 1886 Haymarket Riot.  The blast broke nearly 100 windows and scattered pieces of the statue onto the Kennedy Expressway below. The statue was rebuilt and unveiled on May 4, 1970, and then blown up again by Weatherman on October 6, 1970.  The statue was again rebuilt.  I'm sure the decedents of slain police officers were quite happy and didn't feel victimized at all.  Neither did the owners of the businesses who had windows shattered. Nor were the people who's vehicles were damaged by the debri that fell onto the expressway.  These were VICTIMLESS crimes, right?  No one had to pay for them and no one was injured in any way.
And this was just the 'days of rage' nonsense these idiots put together.  No victims, huh?  The Days of Rage cost Chicago and the state of Illinois approximately $183,000.  That sure doesn't sound TOO bad, right?  Adjusted for inflation, that works out to around $1 million.  Still sound like a victimless group?  And who paid that sum?  Taxpayers.  Law abiding, hard working illinois citizens, that's who.  Victims, all.
But that's not all they did, now is it?
On 19 May, 1972, The Weather Underground placed a bomb in the women’s bathroom in the Air Force wing of The Pentagon. The damage caused flooding that devastated vital classified information on computer tapes.
The WOMENS bathroom.  Vital classified information.  Another 'victimless' crime?  Who cares, it was just the bathroom in the pentagon.  The women's bathroom.  It could have killed quite a few women, but that's okay, right?  It didn't, so it's okay....
Right?
Wrong.
As for the moron's who died building bombs, I say f- them, they got what they deserved.
Lest you forget, this is a group of american citizens who DECLARED WAR on the US.  There is a word for that....
What am I thinking of?
Oh, right.  Treason.
Sedition.
The worst crime against government possible.
Clever that you defend them and excuse them, then point the finger at us uneducated....
Justice is tangy....

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »
"I'm so glad to see your vitriol extends to politics in addition to religion.  The predominance of liberal or "left" leaning individuals in academia has been the topic of some studies and papers.  Note that your post has little to actually do with politics in academia and instead seems to focus more on your personal biases against the media and non-conservatives. "

What the hell are you talking about?  Religion?  My post has little to do with acedemia?
I gave direct information about politics in academia, both professors and students.
My anecdote was incidental, and only illustrated that the media is complicit in the liberalization of our academic institutions by brainwashing the masses with the same message in an effort to sell their wares to the stupid, unquestioning public.
I read a book called "The ProFessors", which detailed multiple examples of liberalism in academia.  Did you?

And, as a matter of fact, YOU QUOTED MY STATEMENTS REFERRING TO LIBERALISM IN LAW SCHOOL.
Here - I'll quote it for you again so maybe you read it this time:

"All I needed to see was the vast number of Obama shirts in class.
The cake was the 'morality' discussions that devolved from our discussions. 
Academia is overwhelmingly liberal.  The few educators that aren't left leaning or flat out hard core liberals have to be careful how they discuss their ideology lest they be ostracized.
My K professor wrote an excellent paper on the contractual nature of invading or occupying forces and in that paper, he advocated a change in the humanitarian laws involved, basically calling them antiquated, absurd, and the cause of many soldiers injuries unnecessarily.
His paper was the #1 most downloaded law article on the subject in the country.

My school offered no congratulations for this major academic feat. "

I've told people when asked that I support McCain, and watched their shocked, unhappy faces turn to rage, then been subjected to personal attacks and angry rhetoric.
So please, spare me.

And what were you referring to when you hinted at religion?  Was it the post where I was upset by people saying that religious people were incapable of logical reasoning?  Yup.  That was me blasting religion alright?  Or were you just reading into something I said?
Morality discussions in law are not religious based.  Quite the contrary.  The liberals who start morality discussions are anything BUT religious, often arguing against the most rational idea for the one that "feels" the best to them.
Grow up, dude.
Justice is tangy....