;

Poll

What political party do you belong to?

Democrat
Republican
Communist
Socalist
Independant/Other

Author Topic: What political party do most law students belong to?  (Read 15852 times)

TimMitchell

What political party do most law students belong to?
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
A lot of people perceive universities and academia to be an ivory tower that produces left-leaning students and employ left-leaning faculty. I'm not saying this is true, however that is the perception many people have. Moreover, I have found that this assumption is enhanced in regards to graduate students. However, I believe that lawyers and law students are normally not as cloistered as academics because they deal with real issues and policy, not just theory. I'm wondering whether this has any effect on the political affiliation of prospective and current law students.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What political party do most law students belong to?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »
fuk yeah it's true, at my school the professors were all lefties and the students followed suit, sans fed. soc. fukers

wrhssaxensemble

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
Yeah, despite the current results of this poll... they are pretty much all crazy lefties

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
All I needed to see was the vast number of Obama shirts in class.
The cake was the 'morality' discussions that devolved from our discussions. 
Academia is overwhelmingly liberal.  The few educators that aren't left leaning or flat out hard core liberals have to be careful how they discuss their ideology lest they be ostracized.
My K professor wrote an excellent paper on the contractual nature of invading or occupying forces and in that paper, he advocated a change in the humanitarian laws involved, basically calling them antiquated, absurd, and the cause of many soldiers injuries unnecessarily.
His paper was the #1 most downloaded law article on the subject in the country.

My school offered no congratulations for this major academic feat.  I thanked him and told him that more former servicemen should be heard on the subject.

Here's how it works out:
I was at a BBQ on memorial day and I was speaking to a very liberal woman I know.  She was telling me that the reason no one she knew was going out of town for the holiday was because the media kept saying, over and over again, that gas prices were out of control and that it would keep people from traveling.  In reality, that same vacation costs about $100 more than it did last year, which isn't nearly enough to discourage people.
So I asked her why she was surprised when the media shapes public opinion. 
Just take a look at how the media portrays the war and our President.  From day one, the President was a liar, a theif, and a moron.  The war is violent and has only produced death.  The media ignores the scores of schools that have reopened.  They don't report anything positive and as a direct result, most of the country buys it without a second thought.  I am friends with some active military personnel, and their attitude is that America was never really at war.  Only the military was at war.  America was busy trying to villify Bush and impeach the war effort.
And now, after spending months trying to coronate Clinton as the next President, the media has decided that Obama should be king and push his brilliance and legend. 
Unfortunately, I still believe the maxim holds true - those who can, do and those who can't, teach.  It is far easier to be a professor than hold down a real job and actually perform.  This is much of the draw to education for the left leaning and the hardcore liberals and precisely why so few who associate with the right bother to teach at all.  They are too busy 'doing' to stop and teach.  Nothing is sweeter than sucking at the teat of the educational institutions that have been overrun by left-leaning individuals.
At some of the best law schools, we have hard core hippies from the left teaching kids how and what to think.
One of the leaders of the violent Weather Underground group that is responsible for terrible attacks on innocent people who has NEVER disassociated herself from their criminal activities is now a teacher at Northwestern University School of Law.  Her name is Bernardine Dohrn.  The fact that she is allowed to teach ANYWHERE is a travesty of our justice system.
Justice is tangy....

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »

Unfortunately, I still believe the maxim holds true - those who can, do and those who can't, teach.  It is far easier to be a professor than hold down a real job and actually perform.  This is much of the draw to education for the left leaning and the hardcore liberals and precisely why so few who associate with the right bother to teach at all.  They are too busy 'doing' to stop and teach.  Nothing is sweeter than sucking at the teat of the educational institutions that have been overrun by left-leaning individuals.

Lulz.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »
One of the leaders of the violent Weather Underground group that is responsible for terrible attacks on innocent people who has NEVER disassociated herself from their criminal activities is now a teacher at Northwestern University School of Law.  Her name is Bernardine Dohrn.  The fact that she is allowed to teach ANYWHERE is a travesty of our justice system.

yup... and two others are bigtime friends/ supporters from Illinois of Barack Obama..... only the left would pick someone so unexperienced and with such a spotty background to lead during a time of world war and economic difficulty... dont get me wrong, he is clearly intelligent and a great orator but president? Come on.... heck, the guy only won his one term senate seat because he was running against an outed sex pervert then against Alan Keyes who wasn't even from the state or from what I heard, really even campaigned.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
The "left" had no choice!
Clinton is not well-liked by many democrats based on her long history of bad behavior, persecution of others, and vindictive style of carpetbagging politics....
Obama is wildly popular and I'm not sure why.
If anything, he should have been given the chance to develop into a real legislator before he ran, but what choice did the left have?  The field of candidates was weak and sad, with Clinton being the strongest one of them all by default.
Howard Dean knew that Shrillary didn't stand a chance and that the rest of the field were washed up, crazy, washed up and crazy, or just plain unelectable.  HENCE, we have Obama. 
Now if the media gets its way, we'll either never learn about his character flaws or we'll find out after the election that Rezko and him were in bed together and that he was, in fact, criminally implicit to the activities that got Rezko in trouble in the first place.  I'm betting that the media will bury the story and the american public, happy to be ignorant, won't care one bit.
Much like Clinton (Bill) didn't do anything wrong (besides lying to federal investigators, impeding a federal investigation, and encouraging others to perjure themselves as well), Obama shall be forgiven by the new left, singularly dedicated to amassing power.
OR, he'll be fine.
Unlike many lefties, I don't think Obama is evil (though many of them believe Bush to be evil).  I believe that we are one nation and that our elected representatives vary on the minutia only, not the big picture.
It sucks to be rational and unemotional about politics, but it has led to some interesting discussions where I've had to cool down a fuming liberal or two and explain that I don't think less of them or their candidate simply because I disagree with their viewpoint, no matter how angry they are....
Justice is tangy....

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »
yup... and two others are bigtime friends/ supporters from Illinois of Barack Obama..... only the left would pick someone so unexperienced and with such a spotty background to lead during a time of world war and economic difficulty... dont get me wrong, he is clearly intelligent and a great orator but president? Come on.... heck, the guy only won his one term senate seat because he was running against an outed sex pervert then against Alan Keyes who wasn't even from the state or from what I heard, really even campaigned.

The guy would have won his term anyways. Apparently you are not familiar with this state called Illinois that has a proud tradition of liberal politics on the national level (Adlai Stevens, Paul Simon, Abraham Lincoln).  To say that only the left would nominate such an inexperienced candidate during a time of war I will have to remind you that the conservatives put up Thomas Dewey during WWII who had been a governor for only 6 years and before him Wendell Willkie who I don't think ever held office. 

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

There were no innocent victims of the Weatherman organization. All of their bombings were announced in advance. The only deaths that resulted from their bombings were 3 of their own during the bomb-making process.

This just exposes part of the difficulty of arguing with right-wingers (especially the 27 percent that are still in the tank for Bush). If reality or historical fact does not mesh with their daily talking points they ignore it. A recent great example of this ahistorical "thinking" was the recent scuffle over Obama's "appeasement" and how he's supposedly another Chamberlain. Enjoy this takedown of another winger by Chris Matthews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHleE7dfp28
Rising 1L

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 04:24:59 PM »
Yes the founder of the Republican party not to be confused with liberal vs conservative.  There was a time when parties contained both liberal and conservative members.  I understand this concept may be hard for some with no background in history to comprehend.