Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else tired of Kaplan's dumb jokes?  (Read 4185 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else tired of Kaplan's dumb jokes?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:30 PM »
first prize can of bud.  second prize two cans.

TimMitchell

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »
first prize can of bud.  second prize two cans.

lol

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
One thing that Kaplan DOES offer is structure and a game plan for those that don't have one. While I can't offer any conclusive argument about the level of improvement Kaplan's students see, I can offer my own experience... which is getting a lowly 155 on the diagnostic and not seeing ANY improvement at all during the 14 week class (in class tests were 152/157/155). However, after postponing the LSAT to take advantage of Kaplan's 'Higher Score Guarentee', I saw a significant improvement in not only my in class tests but also my home study. Unfortuantely, as a prior poster indicated, my actual test day score was anywhere from 3 to 8 points lower than my practice tests.
What does that really mean? Well, probably a few things...
1) You only get out of Kaplan what you put it (first time around I was in some heavy classes while working FT, whereas the second time around was during the summer)
2) Scores earned in the optimal low-stress environment of a Kaplan center may be a bit better than what actually occurs during a real LSAT.
3) Kaplan offers some guidance to the uniformed but as a class marketed to the masses, it should not be relied on for someone with T-14 aspirations.
Good luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »
I think this sequence of events actually counts as "having won an argument on the internet."

I think it's a first in my life ...  :-X

TimMitchell

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »
I'm just going to start posting these horrid jokes as I home across them.

Next up is another assumption question. You know the drill by now—break down the
argument into evidence and conclusion, and look for an unstated but necessary premise.
The keyword “thus” identifies the conclusion: the paleontologists’ claim is false. What
claim? It’s explained in the first sentence: Some paleontologists believe that birds are
descendants of dromeosaurs because they have many features in common. “But,” the
dinosaur expert claims to have spotted a fatal flaw: The earliest bird fossils are older than
the oldest known dromeosaur fossils. How could birds have descended from dromeosaurs
if the oldest birds are older than the oldest dromeosaurs? They couldn’t. But wait: the
author never proves that the oldest birds are older than the oldest dromeosaurs. She only
claims that the oldest bird fossils are older than the earliest known dromeosaur fossils,
which leaves open the possibility that there are older as yet undiscovered dromeosaur
fossils which could pre-date the oldest bird fossils. So the author assumes that the fossil
record is complete, that known fossils indicate the relative dates of origin of birds and
dromeosaurs, (D). If (D) isn’t true, then it’s possible that those paleontologists might find
those older dromeosaur fossils, whispering as they search: “dromeo, dromeo, wherefore art
thou dromeo?”

TimMitchell

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
Just found another gem:

Here’s a bleak notion—the end of history. Luckily, it turns out to be only the ideological end;
presumably Kwiki-Marts and the rest of civilization are safe for a while. (PT23)

pfft... and everyone knows its Kwik-E-Mart

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
nonsense. using real name of business in published joke not going be copyright or even trademark problem.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 12:03:53 PM »
it wonderful way of life.

Amistad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 12:28:54 PM »
In the lone defense of Kaplan.. I was scoring 161-162s on my practice tests, and walked away from the LSAT with a 166. Go figure. Kaplan, or me? I credit both (and maybe pure dumb luck)
3.64/166

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »
maybe should scored even higher.