Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jobless 3L Needs Advice  (Read 1922 times)

JoblessJerk

• View Profile
Jobless 3L Needs Advice
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »
I'm going to be a 3L at a "second-tier" school. I didn't work last summer. I've been sending my resume out to everyone, but nobody will respond. I'm not on a law review or moot court, and I'm barely ranked in the top half. Will anyone hire me when I graduate? Will I be a lawyer?

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Jobless 3L Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »
Work somewhere for free?

JoblessJerk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:07:25 PM »
All the non-profits are done hiring.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »
That's very narrow-cited of you.  Yes, nonprofits are done hiring, but have you contacted solo practitioners or small firms in the area to see if you can volunteer some time helping out?  Non-profits aren't the only ones who will take volunteers.

Order Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams (by Kimm Walton; order from Amazon and expedite the shipping).  You appear to be in some dire need to help in expanding your job search and networking, and that book can give you more advice than you're likely to get here (although many people here will hopefully be able to give you some more ideas).

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
GO AWAY, wii.

you certainly have the "jerk" part right.

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

JoblessJerk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
I've e-mailed my resume to just about everyone who has posted a law clerk job on Craigslist and everyone who my career counselor recommended. I haven't gotten ONE response.

That's very narrow-cited of you.  Yes, nonprofits are done hiring, but have you contacted solo practitioners or small firms in the area to see if you can volunteer some time helping out?  Non-profits aren't the only ones who will take volunteers.

Order Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams (by Kimm Walton; order from Amazon and expedite the shipping).  You appear to be in some dire need to help in expanding your job search and networking, and that book can give you more advice than you're likely to get here (although many people here will hopefully be able to give you some more ideas).

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:23:34 AM »
Go to your local DA's Office and volunteer, assuming of course it isn't one the top DA's office in the country.  Most will take you because they are desperate for the help.  Talk to professors who know you or know your work...see if they know people who can hook you up locally.  Hit the pavement!  And don't just rely on the internet.  Sometimes it is going to take some old fashioned footwork or sifting through the yellow pages.   

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:46:51 PM »
quit feeding this recycled troll.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

JoblessJerk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
I already asked if I could volunteer with the DA and was told to check back in the fall.

I'm also not a "recycled troll" and don't have another identity on this web site.