Law School Discussion

particular LSAT BOOK: good or bad??

particular LSAT BOOK: good or bad??
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:53 AM »
What are people's thoughts on the McGraw-Hill's LSAT book (2nd ed.)?  Are the practice exams in McGraw -Hill on the easier side, easier than say Kaplan's? Thoughts? 

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: particular LSAT BOOK: good or bad??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »
Beware fake LSAT questions.  Very few people can write them well.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »
Yeah the McGraw-Hill questions seem to be easier than the Kaplan questions. Kaplan's practice tests (the ones in the books for example: endurance and pacing books)are from actual past LSAT exams, right? This is what I am led to believe when reading the inside cover of Kaplan books. So I guess it is safer to study with these. I get about 5 more questions correct in the McGraw-Hill than the Kaplan (trust me I am not happy with Kaplan but I guess Ill have to put up with it for a few more weeks). Also, according to McGraw-Hill 75 correct is a 162 and in Kaplan they say 75 correct doesnt hit a 160. It just seems like such a difference. Should I pay more attention to one scale over the other. I know that they change based on the exam but Kaplan and McGraw use the same conversion tables for all their exams printed in their books.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:22:30 PM »
From what Kaplan people have told me, questions from Kaplan's classroom books are real LSAT questions.  Their retail books use fake ones.

Rhymnoceros

• "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:30:57 PM »
Yeah the McGraw-Hill questions seem to be easier than the Kaplan questions. Kaplan's practice tests (the ones in the books for example: endurance and pacing books)are from actual past LSAT exams, right? This is what I am led to believe when reading the inside cover of Kaplan books. So I guess it is safer to study with these. I get about 5 more questions correct in the McGraw-Hill than the Kaplan (trust me I am not happy with Kaplan but I guess Ill have to put up with it for a few more weeks). Also, according to McGraw-Hill 75 correct is a 162 and in Kaplan they say 75 correct doesnt hit a 160. It just seems like such a difference. Should I pay more attention to one scale over the other. I know that they change based on the exam but Kaplan and McGraw use the same conversion tables for all their exams printed in their books.
Scales are different for different administrations of a test. If you are using Kaplan classroom books then these are real tests and the scale is the actual scale used for that particular administration. So if you sat down and took the June 2, 2002 exam (just throwing out an example) and that corresponds to prep test #4 int eh kaplan book, then you are taking the exact test and getting the exact score you would have gotten if you had actually taken the test on june 2, 2002. That is as accurate a predictor as you can hope for. The more recent tests are better, obviously, and the kaplan book should tell you the year that the test was administered.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
thanks for your response. Yeah I am sitting here looking through Kaplan's Endurance Book which does have the actual questions and it lists the preptest number of each test included in the book. However, the only scale that Kaplan gives is the one in their Lesson book that is not specific to each preptest. It is there to just give you a general idea. ie it says 64 correct is 154, 70 is 156 and so on. Any idea where I can find the scales that correspond to each preptest? I cant seem to locate them anywhere..

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »
BTW how long did it generally take to fully go though the powerscore LG Bible, for those of you that have?

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:05:33 PM »
BTW how long did it generally take to fully go though the powerscore LG Bible, for those of you that have?

I have the older one, and it took one sitting to complete it cover-to-cover.
I don't remember how long I spent on it, but it was quite long obviously.
Their diagrams and tips are pretty intuitive and they don't push cheap tricks like others do.